Thoughts on the Nikola+ 100v

5 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

I get it but every other "wheeled" sport I'm involved in simply goes by rim size, I don't disagree with the measurements but do find it interesting.

Most EUCs use bicycle tires, and the problem with EUC tire size naming is inherited from there.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 5:08 PM, Mike Sacristan said:

The 16X and Nikola(Plus) all have the same rim size and accommodate 16x3 tyres which because of the width cause them to have an outer diameter of Potato or close to 17.5" and this can vary between the CST C-1488 (thinner/lower) and the CST C-1773 (wider/higher). But not hugely so between those two.

I changed my 16X tire right now from the beloved CST-C1488 to CST-C1773 (not C-1737) and I have to correct you. :efee612b4b:

Comparision C1488  - vs -  C-1773:
outer diameter @22psi: 445 mm / 445 mm (17,52 in)
width @22psi: 73,1 mm (2,88 in) / 69,6 mm (2,74 in)
weight: 1200 g (2,65 lb) / 1424 g (3,14 lb)
tread depth: 2,5 mm / 4,0 mm

I just did a small test ride with the same tire pressure (22 psi) and I am amazed. My beloved C1488 is a pile of shit compared to the C-1773, at least in terms of riding characteristics. Much more directional stability, less wobbly, no noticeable increased gyro effect and just as agile.  Normally changing to another tire always takes some getting used to and since I hardly ever ride the 16X anymore, I needed at least 10 km every time to get used to it. With the C-1773 I started riding immediately without any problems.

Edited by buell47
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, buell47 said:

I changed my 16X tire right now from the beloved CST-C1488 to CST-C1737 and I have to correct you. :efee612b4b:

Well what a coincidence because I just loooove being corrected! :roflmao:

4 hours ago, buell47 said:

Comparision C1488  - vs -  C1737:
outer diameter @22psi: 445 mm / 445 mm (17,52 in)
width @22psi: 73,1 mm (2,88 in) / 69,6 mm (2,74 in)
weight: 1200 g (2,65 lb) / 1424 g (3,14 lb)
tread depth: 2,5 mm / 4,0 mm

I just did a small test ride with the same tire pressure (22 psi) and I am amazed. My beloved C1488 is a pile of shit compared to the C1737, at least in terms of riding characteristics. Much more directional stability, less wobbly, no noticeable increased gyro effect and just as agile.  Normally changing to another tire always takes some getting used to and since I hardly ever ride the 16X anymore, I needed at least 10 km every time to get used to it. With the C1737 I started riding immediately without any problems.

Damn and there I was trying to measure with a pack fo cigarettes and sending you a bunch of photos and still wrong haha.

So... is it 1737 or 1773. On my lip here I wrote 1773.
Can you check out the pattern at this part in the clip? Otherwise I have to change the name of the clip and then get some therapy.

Thanks for the correction. And for trying it out... and for reporting back! It is pretty much a good H-5167 haha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Well what a coincidence because I just loooove being corrected! 

I know, I know :whistling:

Damn and there I was trying to measure with a pack fo cigarettes and sending you a bunch of photos and still wrong haha.

Yeah, maybe your cigarettes pack was a faulty one? :roflmao:

I used something that is just a little bit more precise, just a little. It's called digital Caliper. :w00t2:

So... is it 1737 or 1773. On my lip here I wrote 1773.

Oh Jesus, I know that there are 2 CST with similar Number (C-1773 and C-1737) and nevertheless I didn't realized that you talking about C-1773 and I about C-1737. :facepalm: 

I double checked my AliExpress order, maybe it's a typo on my side....NO, I ordered few month ago the C-1737 and seller confirmed that I will get for sure exactly this tire. :thumbup:

Can you check out the pattern at this part in the clip? Otherwise I have to change the name of the clip and then get some therapy.

Hmmm....this pattern looks familiar to me. Haha... I'm sure that's my tire....checked.....yeah it is my tire and you should maybe buy a glasses. :roflmao:

Let me take a picture from the pattern and from the tire designation to proof that I'm right and you wrong....

...oh WTF :eff0541f4a:...they have send me the wrong tire!!! I've received a C-1773 instead a C-1737. :roflmao:

I have corrected my post but at the end, you're still wrong. :efefa6edcf:

The big question is, which one is the better tire, C-1773 or C-1737? 

But who cares, I probably don't need a new tire for the 16X anymore, since I hardly ride it anyway. :D

Edited by buell47
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, buell47 said:

I know, I know :whistling:

Yeah, maybe your cigarettes pack was a faulty one? :roflmao:

I used something that is just a little bit more precise, just a little. It's called digital Caliper. :w00t2:

Oh Jesus, I know that there are 2 CST with similar Number (C-1773 and C-1737) and nevertheless I didn't realized that you talking about C-1773 and I about C-1737. :facepalm: 

I double checked my AliExpress order, maybe it's a typo on my side....NO, I ordered few month ago the C-1737 and seller confirmed that I will get for sure exactly this tire. :thumbup:

Hmmm....this pattern looks familiar to me. Haha... I'm sure that's my tire....checked.....yeah it is my tire and you should maybe buy a glasses. :roflmao:

Let me take a picture from the pattern and from the tire designation to proof that I'm right and you wrong....

...oh WTF :eff0541f4a:...they have send me the wrong tire!!! I've received a C-1773 instead a C-1737. :roflmao:

I have corrected my post but at the end, you're still wrong. :efefa6edcf:

The big question is, which one is the better tire, C-1773 or C-1737? 

But who cares, I probably don't need a new tire for the 16X anymore, since I hardly ride it anyway. :D

Maybe my 20 months off work has cured me... or ruined me.

Haha you and your tools. I guess your digital caliper beats my pack of cigarettes.

So now we have to resolve this.. is there a 1737 even? I get more google hits for the 1737 than I do for the 1773.
Does your pattern match the one in the video? Does it have any labelling on it?
It looks like they are the same.

I am pretty sure I triple checked when making the video so as not to name the clip wrong but at this point I don't even know who I am anymore.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

So now we have to resolve this.. is there a 1737 even? I get more google hits for the 1737 than I do for the 1773.

This is the picture from my order. Description says it is a anti puncture tire. 

187298367722689562.jpg

This is what I received. C-1773-5

20201115-224026.jpg

At the end I'm happy that I received the wrong tire (I think it has no anti puncture) because in the meantime I ordered also a new anti puncture tire for my daughter's V5F and this tire is so heavy and stiff, that she can ride it without any tire pressure. No air or 0.8bar feels the same. Anti puncture is probably the same as a run flat tire. 😂😂😂

54 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Does your pattern match the one in the video?

Yes

55 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Does it have any labelling on it?

C-1773-5

20201115-224110.jpg

3 minutes ago, buell47 said:

This is the picture from my order. Description says it is a anti puncture tire. 

This is what I received. C-1773-5

At the end I'm happy that I received the wrong tire (I think it has no anti puncture) because in the meantime I ordered also a new anti puncture tire for my daughter's V5F and this tire is so heavy and stiff, that she can ride it without any tire pressure. No air or 0.8bar feels the same. Anti puncture is probably the same as a run flat tire. 😂😂😂

Yes

C-1773-5

Then you got the tire that I suggested in the clip and we also chatted about.
It is the same one that comes on new batch Nikolas.

Glad you like it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Then you got the tire that I suggested in the clip and we also chatted about.
It is the same one that comes on new batch Nikolas.

Glad you like it!

Oh damn, then I ordered accidentally the wrong tire but got the right one. :roflmao:

• Like 1

And they both showed up today, both freaking awesome!!  I've only put a few miles on the Nik and man, there's nothing I don't like about it, well, the speakers aren't quite as good as I hoped they'd be but I ain't complaining, I've got some grip tape coming for the sides for the smooth shell but other than that, it's ready to go for me.  Helmet is awesome but with the goggles on, you sort of have a narrow field of vision, it'll be great on my motorcycle but on the EUC, I'll probably wear safety glasses or similar, definitely makes a statement with those teeth!

Thanks for all the input folks, I'm very happy with my Nikola+!!

IMG_20201118_175832707.jpg

Edited by RetroThruster
  • Like 1

Lookin good! Makes me wonder how it fares in compare to a sherman. Seems like I need to come up and see! You are right, that helmet definitely promotes the softer side of the 'sport'. Can't wait to hear what you think of it, AFTER you get some time to crank some speed and range out of it. Is that your e-bike in the back? Damn bro, I may need rent a hotel and stay a couple days. YOu got that e-board too? Sounds like it could become an expensive visit as I like new toys. You aint worried about scratching them still, are ya? I can offer my services to knock the new right off of ALL or ANY of them, for you! Only cost ya 3 beers, as thats when bravery overcomes logic for me.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

And they both showed up today, both freaking awesome!! 

Is it the 1800Wh with the 21700 batteries or the 1845Wh with the 18650 batteries? It seems odd they have 2 wheels that are so similar, do you know what the differences are? How easy was it to adjust to the Nik from the MCM5? I must admit I'm a twinge jealous, mine isn't going to arrive for another 40 odd days :( 

12 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

And they both showed up today, both freaking awesome!!  I've only put a few miles on the Nik and man, there's nothing I don't like about it, well, the speakers aren't quite as good as I hoped they'd be but I ain't complaining, I've got some grip tape coming for the sides for the smooth shell but other than that, it's ready to go for me.  Helmet is awesome but with the goggles on, you sort of have a narrow field of vision, it'll be great on my motorcycle but on the EUC, I'll probably wear safety glasses or similar, definitely makes a statement with those teeth!

Thanks for all the input folks, I'm very happy with my Nikola+!!

IMG_20201118_175832707.jpg

You are one Bose Micro Soundlink away from having good sound. Or some bone conducting headphones.

That helmet looks mean. I know what you mean about the goggles. I ride with goggles sometimes as well and find it a bit restrictive... but it is fine if I am familiar with where I am riding. Great for straight line blasting.

Can you verify that the tyre is the CST C-1773?

Also grip tape for the sides? You mean surf pads or tank pads?

@ShanesPlanet could probably make you some nice pads! And then scratch your toys.

4 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Is it the 1800Wh with the 21700 batteries or the 1845Wh with the 18650 batteries? It seems odd they have 2 wheels that are so similar, do you know what the differences are? How easy was it to adjust to the Nik from the MCM5? I must admit I'm a twinge jealous, mine isn't going to arrive for another 40 odd days :( 

The old 1845Wh is probably not easy to find anymore. This one has black plastic covers so should be latest batch = 1800WH = 2x 888Wh battery packs with 21700 cells.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Sorry for the late reply.  Mine has the 21700's, I might be wrong but I think the 2100wh has the 18650's.  

To me, the MCM5 is exactly split between the Mten3 and say a MSP or 16x, if that makes sense, the MCM5 is super fun for sure but the Nikola feels like a big wheel, a lot of it is just the physical dimensions, the power is there and more of it but it does take more effort to extract it as opposed to the MCM5 with the smaller wheel.  10 minutes and I was doing fairly tight figure 8's and such, I'm sure you're a better rider than I am so you'll have zero difficulty with the Nikola.  40 days is rough but believe me, it's well worth the wait!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

You are one Bose Micro Soundlink away from having good sound. Or some bone conducting headphones.

That helmet looks mean. I know what you mean about the goggles. I ride with goggles sometimes as well and find it a bit restrictive... but it is fine if I am familiar with where I am riding. Great for straight line blasting.

Can you verify that the tyre is the CST C-1773?

Also grip tape for the sides? You mean surf pads or tank pads?

@ShanesPlanet could probably make you some nice pads! And then scratch your toys.

The old 1845Wh is probably not easy to find anymore. This one has black plastic covers so should be latest batch = 1800WH = 2x 888Wh battery packs with 21700 cells.

Yes, it has the CST C-1773.

Here is the grip tape or tank pad I was mentioning, not looking so much for padding, just grip cause as you know, the Nikola sides are slick.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SL3JNSC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

Sorry for the late reply.  Mine has the 21700's, I might be wrong but I think the 2100wh has the 18650's.  

To me, the MCM5 is exactly split between the Mten3 and say a MSP or 16x, if that makes sense, the MCM5 is super fun for sure but the Nikola feels like a big wheel, a lot of it is just the physical dimensions, the power is there and more of it but it does take more effort to extract it as opposed to the MCM5 with the smaller wheel.  10 minutes and I was doing fairly tight figure 8's and such, I'm sure you're a better rider than I am so you'll have zero difficulty with the Nikola.  40 days is rough but believe me, it's well worth the wait!!

Correct. The 2100Wh is 84v and has the 18650's.

Those are three great wheels you own!

6 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

Yes, it has the CST C-1773.

Here is the grip tape or tank pad I was mentioning, not looking so much for padding, just grip cause as you know, the Nikola sides are slick.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SL3JNSC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Awesome! It's a great tyre.

I was looking at tank pads/protectors like those earlier this year for my MSX but went with thicker pads for my donkey stuff.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Correct. The 2100Wh is 84v and has the 18650's.

Those are three great wheels you own!

Awesome! It's a great tyre.

I was looking at tank pads/protectors like those earlier this year for my MSX but went with thicker pads for my donkey stuff.

Thanks Mike, I'm happy with my trio of wheels, it's time to dedicate more time to riding them now!

I may end up throwing that grip tape stuff in the garbage, it was cheap so I thought I'd give it a try.  

I'm no tire expert for EUC's but can say that it does feel good, I may try to source another one just have on stand by.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

I had always overlooked the Nikola. I got to ride @RetroThruster's Nikola yesterday....  I like it!

I like it much better than the 16X. Now I want one. :facepalm:

Much better than 16x? Can you give some more info RT? What are the ride attributes that you liked more? Maybe I will seek out a trashed Nikola for rehab! 

Just now, amelanso said:

Much better than 16x? Can you give some more info RT? What are the ride attributes that you liked more? Maybe I will seek out a trashed Nikola for rehab! 

1) It is easier for me to control during hard acceleration and breaking and still more nimble than 18" wheels. The 16X is a bit twichy during acceleration. 

2) I like hard predictable pedals. I don't like the constant movement of the KS wheels. 

3) Top speed!! I feel safe at 35mph on the Nikola, too many cut outs on the 16X at 27 mph. 

4) It is quite a bit smaller and better made than I had pictured. Looks pretty nice and the trolley works better than I thought.... at least for me. 

5) Water proofing is better. 

Summery: The pedal hinge is the only thing that I like better on the 16X. The Gotway and InMotion wheels have weak pedal hinges. If You are not my size and aggressive than they won't be a problem. I would think that Gotway of all companies would have stronger pedals. :angry:

• Like 2

On 11/20/2020 at 1:27 AM, RetroThruster said:

Do you have these fitted to your Nik+? Are they any good? Do you have a photo?

11 hours ago, RockyTop said:

I had always overlooked the Nikola. I got to ride @RetroThruster's Nikola yesterday....  I like it!

I like it much better than the 16X. Now I want one. :facepalm:

Glad you like it, you looked like a pro on it!!  Some dude came up to me while you were riding it and said, "dang, that dude is flying on that little contraption", I said "yeah, I hate him", just kidding, you looked right handsome on that Nikola:)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Do you have these fitted to your Nik+? Are they any good? Do you have a photo?

No sir, I haven't even gotten them yet, I just checked and they're not due til late December:angry:, so I'm going to order something in stock, I failed to notice that they weren't in stock at checkout.  I'm not looking so much for power pads, just something to provide grip for the shell is really slick as you know or have read, not sure what to buy so any suggestions would be appreciated, I reckon I'll just look for something with adhesive backing that is rubbery or sticky for grip.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

No sir, I haven't even gotten them yet, I just checked and they're not due til late December:angry:, so I'm going to order something in stock, I failed to notice that they weren't in stock at checkout.  I'm not looking so much for power pads, just something to provide grip for the shell is really slick as you know or have read, not sure what to buy so any suggestions would be appreciated, I reckon I'll just look for something with adhesive backing that is rubbery or sticky for grip.

Didn't you get the standard Nikola pads with the wheel? They aren't great but they aren't terrible.