Thoughts on the Nikola+ 100v

I'm on the pre order for the RS-T and just found out that it's delayed til after the 20th, not the end of the world but when you have money burning a hole in your pocket, your mind starts to wander, at least mine does.  Anyways, I've never paid a lot of attention to the Nikola but after studying up on it, it's an attractive wheel, I'm just curios to hear your thoughts on it vs the upcoming RS-T.  

My 2c: It seems a bit odd to be buying an RS-HT if you sold your MSP-T. The 2 wheels are very similar though the RS is heavier, has prettier front lighting, a nicer rubber flap to keep the water out, a more ergonomic carry handle and a nice RS logo lit up in red. I nearly bought an RS-HT earlier this week when I saw them for sale for a ridiculously low price on AliExpress - I didn't hit the button at the time because I just don't like the trolley handle and I'm also a little worried about the pedal angle plus it later turned out that the price was a mistake :) The Nikola is more robust than the MSX/MSP/RS, it's probably not quite as good off road but looks stunning at night with the LEDs. You might need some form of power pads to get the full acceleration from the Nikola. The Nikola's front lights aren't as bright as the MSP/RS lights but they are kinder to oncoming traffic and low flying aircraft.

• Like 1

I'm a strange one I guess, it's a long story on how I ended up here but I admit that I do bounce around from wheel to wheel.  I sort of miss the 16x the most but am afraid that I'd be wanting a little more top speed, this is where I landed on the Nikola, it appears to have better top end speed and stability than the 16x from what I'm hearing.  I'm probably going to stay the course with the RS-T, I'm confident it will do anything that I would ever ask of it, just wanted some insight since they are in the same price range.  Thanks again for the insight on the Nikola, it looks like a super nice wheel.

I think the major differences between the 16X and the Nikola is that the Nikola goes faster but it's a little larger and more difficult to pick up using the handle. They're both quite nimble but the Nikola is a little less ergonomic with smooth sides that aren't quite so easy to grip with your knees (if that's your thing). There's two battery voltages 84v for range and 100v for speed - the 84v is still quite a bit faster than the 16X and you can get a 2100Wh battery which offers quite a range. I think one of the annoying things with the Nikola are the beeps when you turn it on. The Nik is very well built and the case is very rugged though it may scratch. A small downside is the older axle type on the Nikola - the RS comes with the hollow motor which has a stronger axle (useful if you're heavy and jump of kerbs a lot) though it does add a few kg to the weight. This video gives the differences between the 16X and the Nikola:

That's a great video, I appreciate that!  I think what got me on the Nikola is the looks as well as the fantastic LEDs, in the end when comparing it to the RS, I guess the clear choice for the money would be the RS. I think the Nikola is still a winner but in my case, I think I'm best suited to wait for the RS.  Thanks again for all your help!!  

• Like 1

Damn....  I'm freaking torn, after having the MSP-T and just not totally being blown away by it, it sure opens the door for something else and the cross hairs are squarely on the Nikola, I need a drink...  I failed to mention that I like speakers, call me a squid or whatever but cruising on the loop around my house and driveway, it's cool to listen to music (I live in the middle of a bunch of undeveloped property).   

Thanks for the input guys, I'll make my decision by tonight, so if I do go with the Nikola, maybe eWheels can get it in transit tomorrow.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I must admit I'm quite tempted by the Nikola 100v 1800Wh myself. I keep watching videos and reviews which is a bad sign for me. The only down side I can see is getting beaten senseless by the wife (again) for adding to my transport collection :unsure:

DO it, buy it! Quit sounding like such a p**y and take back those nu*z! Buy the wheel and start using another excuse. Sack up, buy it. Worst comes to worse, she'll only take 1/2 your stuff and it still leaves you with one wheel. You guys got me wondering about the Nik too, as if I need anymore damn toys around here..

Edited by ShanesPlanet
probably overly offensive as usual
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

You guys got me wondering about the Nik too, as if I need anymore damn toys around here..

No need to wonder anymore, a guy can always use some more toys. You would look good on a Nik.  :eff034a94a:

Here's what it will look like. It is just a matter of :eff006f726:. Damn it! Now I'm thinking about one.

image.png.a79fc51d0d8cb58829478e6766bc2c28.pngimage.png.4a5c94c511ea341009d3d793349af72b.png

Edited by Scottie

52 minutes ago, RetroThruster said:

Well shit the bed, I'm emailing eWheels now to change my order!!  You only live once right?:/

Not trying to get y'all in the doghouse with the wife but there is safety in numbers, I'll blame it on you guys and vice versa lol....

:clap3::clap3::thumbup:

We only live once... and even that timeline goes thru phases. Seize the day, as you never know when the next transition may occur. Congrats on the order(s)! You have to let me know how the nik does you in the TN mountains.

1 minute ago, ShanesPlanet said:

:clap3::clap3::thumbup:

We only live once... and even that timeline goes thru phases. Seize the day, as you never know when the next transition may occur. Congrats on the order(s)! You have to let me know how the nik does you in the TN mountains.

Will do my brother, will do!!  I have a really good feeling about it!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RetroThruster said:

And done!!  Heard back from Jason, he's quite possibly shipping the Nikola today, super excited!!

Congratulations! Which model did you go for?

I just bought mine 5 mins ago. I went for the 100v 1800Wh but I think mine's now on a slow boat from China so I won't get any gratification for at least a month. On the positive side, I won't get beaten up by the wife for a month yet either.  I suppose I'm going to have to get a full face helmet also as my bicycle helmet might not cut it anymore.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Congratulations! Which model did you go for?

I just bought mine 5 mins ago. I went for the 100v 1800Wh but I think mine's now on a slow boat from China so I won't get any gratification for at least a month. On the positive side, I won't get beaten up by the wife for a month yet either.  I suppose I'm going to have to get a full face helmet also as my bicycle helmet might not cut it anymore.

Thanks, you too!  I went with the same version as you, the 84v isn't in stock here but I would have gone with the 100v anyways since I don't need a lot of range.

Mine is supposed to be here Wednesday so that will be "the day" of whooping here so pray for me:)  Nah, she knew I was on the pre-order for the RS and I'm mostly funding it with proceeds from the sale of my MSP, now, the Monster Pro that I'm angling is going to be a challenge, I'll have to do some clever thinking to pull that one off.

I've been riding in a bicycle helmet too, I have motorcycle helmets but nothing that's great for an EUC, that helmet should be a good match, I hope.  Congrats on your Nikola, I'll try to post some impressions when I get mine, I'm not a great reviewer given my lack of experience but I'll do my best.

The speed record without falling in our group is 72.3 kmh seated on the Nikola (bicycle seat) by a 25 year old rider who has been riding since June.
The speed record with falling/overlean is by Christoffer standing at 75 kmh.
Casual 69kmh standing by Johan.
I have never passed 65kmh because I listen to the beeps and those pop up at ~63kmh.

That's a nice looking helmet. The Berserker and Atlas seem more appropriate than the RG-1 some riders are using.
A bicycle helmet would only protect the skull... I would rather ride without unless doing serious tricks at a skate park.
Better not to fool myself that I am protected.

New batch speakers are not as loud as early batch speakers but sound nicer.

I am happy to hear you did not purchase the 84v.

Also the Nik is much safer than the 16X. Not as agile and not the same low end torque but when the 16X is running out of steam at 45 kmh the Nikola is just getting started.

So far it looks like the new hollow motors have been a bit problematic. So it might be best to wait until they become a more proven concept.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

The speed record without falling in our group is 72.3 kmh seated on the Nikola (bicycle seat) by a 25 year old rider who has been riding since June.
The speed record with falling/overlean is by Christoffer standing at 75 kmh.
Casual 69kmh standing by Johan.
I have never passed 65kmh because I listen to the beeps and those pop up at ~63kmh.

That's a nice looking helmet. The Berserker and Atlas seem more appropriate than the RG-1 some riders are using.
A bicycle helmet would only protect the skull... I would rather ride without unless doing serious tricks at a skate park.
Better not to fool myself that I am protected.

New batch speakers are not as loud as early batch speakers but sound nicer.

I am happy to hear you did not purchase the 84v.

Also the Nik is much safer than the 16X. Not as agile and not the same low end torque but when the 16X is running out of steam at 45 kmh the Nikola is just getting started.

So far it looks like the new hollow motors have been a bit problematic. So it might be best to wait until they become a more proven concept.

Thanks Mike, good info, sounds like the Nik is one fast wheel, I do remember the 16x feeling a little sketchy as speeds increased, I sort of played it off as my being new but when I got the MSP, I could feel the extra stability with the larger tire/wheel.  I'm a little over 200 lbs and have a lot of hills so maybe the 100v is best suited for me, I'm sure either would be fine.

I do have a small question, after looking at the Gotway site, it's showing the Nikola as having a 17" wheel where eWheels has it listed as a 16", I'm guessing that they're talking about overall tire size vs rim size, surely they didn't change the rim, what I'm getting is listed at just a Nikola but Jason has mentioned a Nikola+, I'm hoping I'm getting the latest wheel.  

15 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I think the Nik and Nik+ both have a 16" rim but, when you add the size of the tyre, it equates to a 17 and 1/2". That's probably about the same as the 16X but I don't think speed is an issue with the Nik+ though personally I doubt I'll ever go over 30mph - I just don't have the nerve :( 

I've not had my coffee yet when I typed that, I was confused, thanks for the clarification, it takes very little nowadays to get me confused:unsure:

It can get confusing.
Some people go by the rim. Some people go by the tyre. Some people go by the outside of the tyre.

If we look at the MSX/MSP for instance it has a 14" rim and the tyres are 18". However since the tyres are wide they balloon out to a higher height.
So the old stock H-5102 could be 19.2" while a CST C-186 would be almost 20".
This would cause a difference in torque and zip. It would be wrong to say they are both 18" tyres because that would imply they have similar dimensions.
So in the best world one would say that they fit a 14" rim and have a width of X and an outer diameter of Potato.

The 16X and Nikola(Plus) all have the same rim size and accommodate 16x3 tyres which because of the width cause them to have an outer diameter of Potato or close to 17.5" and this can vary between the CST C-1488 (thinner/lower) and the CST C-1773 (wider/higher). But not hugely so between those two.

Or I can just tell the story about the time I got on Sebastian's MSP HT after ha changed tyre from CST C-1488 to CST C-186 so the wheel felt less zippy and torquey and I tried to go up a 23 degree incline and fell off the front. Power pads and all.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I think the Nik and Nik+ both have a 16" rim but, when you add the size of the tyre, it equates to a 17 and 1/2". That's probably about the same as the 16X but I don't think speed is an issue with the Nik+ though personally I doubt I'll ever go over 30mph - I just don't have the nerve :( 

16X or Nik or any other 16 inch wheel has a 12 inch rim, not 16 inch. 

As Mike explained, all 18 inch wheels like MSP have a 14 inch rim. 

• Like 3