Wide Angle Rear View Mirror

SlowMo

Just now, ConjurMan said:

Have you checked them out?  How well do they work?  Curious minds...  :)

Just placed the order today but I am sure they would be of good use. I hate it when cars just pass you from behind specially along parking area as if they don't see you.

Please let everyone know what you think of them once you get them and start using them.  Conceptually they seem good, but I wonder about how they would be from a practical standpoint.  I was think that the rear view mirror that bikers attach to their helmet would be more practical, but I'd like to see what you think.  

8 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

I have one of these.  They work great to see if my companion rider is still behind me.  :)

That's also one of my reasons. :)  I have to stop most of the time to check my companions if they are far behind.

2 hours ago, ConjurMan said:

Please let everyone know what you think of them once you get them and start using them.

It works for me, but requires some caution. It shows clearly objects within ~25 yards, anything further than 50 yards is hard to see in the small mirror due to its high convexity. For example, I usually hear the approaching car long before I can see it in this mirror (unless the headlights are turned on - in which case I can see it in the mirror a lot earlier).

Nice idea to mount a mirror on the wheel itself, I might try that.  I like the wrist mirror as well.  A lot of good ideas lately.

Just now I bought a bike bell that I want to use when passing pedestrians "on the left" ... I think a bell is interesting - should be a positive reaction.  For the bell I'll just keep it my pocket and pull out as needed.  :D

Just had a thought while I was riding today.  I have a set of Triple 8 Wrist protectors.  I have almost gotten into wearing them every time.  When the Mirror comes in I'm going to try and mount them on the Guards.  I'll have a new function without having to add more gear... B)

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/12/2015 at 10:59 AM, ConjurMan said:

Does anyone have experience using one of these with their wheel?

How do they compare to the wrist wearable rear view mirrors?

12-8-2015 11-57-52 AM.gif

My dad has been using one of these (but not as fancy) for years while riding his bike and he loves it. I never found it helped because the mirror is too small for me to see much detail. It does take some time getting use to it. 

If you use one on a wheel be careful that you don't lose your balance from moving your head around to see in the mirror. The wrist mirrors may be a little bit bigger. 

I have another version off amazon, cheaper and they offered two different bands one for wrist or arm band.... I got the armband...

Update, since I been wearing this almost everyday, half of the not Velcro velcro has worn off, most likely I will attach a piece of 'real' Velcro hooks to fix the defunked part...already had to hotglue the mirror back on... But I rather havwe this then nothing...

As a keen cyclist (in my younger years) a quick look over my shoulder worked well without the need for extra kit, and I found myself doing this instructively on the EUC.

As long as you only turn your head (rather than pivot from the waist) you'll keep going in a straight line for long enough to see if anything is coming ! :)

2 hours ago, Oily said:

As a keen cyclist (in my younger years) a quick look over my shoulder worked well without the need for extra kit, and I found myself doing this instructively on the EUC.

As long as you only turn your head (rather than pivot from the waist) you'll keep going in a straight line for long enough to see if anything is coming ! :)

From my experience it is also possible to pivot the shoulders and even the waist without changing direction. As for the head, it needs a little bit of training :)

30 minutes ago, Niko said:

From my experience it is also possible to pivot the shoulders and even the waist without changing direction. As for the head, it needs a little bit of training :)

I agree.  At first I couldn't do it but now I do pivot my waist (and shoulders) too without changing directions.  Just takes practice and experience.

• 2 weeks later...

@SlowMo from my experience, I suggest to test it on the road. Just stand close to the curb and check in the mirror the approaching traffic, note when you clearly can notice a car from the quick glance, then turn back and estimate the real distance between you and the car. It helps to make the best judgement when you know what to expect - if you just rely on the seemingly "free of cars" image in this mirror, it may be misleading - as they may catch up with you faster than you expect. Also run the same test with your unicycle buddy - to figure the distance you can see him in the mirror.

• 2 weeks later...

I received mine a while ago.  My tests will not be done until the weather warms up a bit here.  I'm not young, a few minutes on the Wheel at a time is all I'm able to do in freezing weather.  If I wasn't afraid of loosing the skill I had acquired this fall, I might not be getting on it at all.  I'm using Triple Eight wrist guards.  So....I'm thinking of modding them to except the Mirrors. The back of my hands are covered with the spine, so I'm thinking that would be the best place for the mirror.

It is helpful at night, you can see headlight coming, especially before going around parked cars in street...but at night time I tend to go opposite direction, so to see all traffic come me way any I know they than see me....on bike I go with the flow...

My neck does not twist like it used to, so mirrors would be helpful.  But lately, I'm getting better at twisting the waist and not losing control, so probably won't add any more gear.  Already weighted down pretty good.

Archived