RS HS hall effect sensor defect beeping

So yesterday after I went for a ride, tossed my wheel in the back of the trunk and went home. When I got home my wheel was giving the hall effect sensor defect beeping (I believe). Video is here:

https://streamable.com/bag5vb

I turned it off and an a few times and it was doing the same thing. I wheeled it over to another corner of the garage and turned it off  and on again and it was fine. Today it’s still fine.

I’ve only just gotten the wheel and it has less than 10 miles on it.

Maybe this was just a fw bug? I’m posting here to see if anyone has had a similar experience and if there’s anything I should be concerned about.

Haven’t popped my EUC disassembly cherry yet so I’m trying to avoid doing that. 

I haven't had this issue myself, nor have i heard of anyone else here on the forum or discord yet. 

Its recommended on any Gotway wheel to atleast open up the side panels and give it a quick visual check. Its a real simple process it shouldn't take that long. 

Edited by NickNonsense

19 hours ago, NickNonsense said:

I haven't had this issue myself, nor have i heard of anyone else here on the forum or discord yet. 

Its recommended on any Gotway wheel to atleast open up the side panels and give it a quick visual check. Its a real simple process taking shouldn't take that long. 

Guess I’ll open it. Is there a good guide of what to look for?

Ask your seller first! This is a brand new wheel and you should not have any issues.

If you want to check (as long as you don't lose your warranty then or something):

Remove the right side panel, switch the wheel on, and carefully wiggle around the hall sensor wires and hall sensor connector (beginning with the complete cable sleeve coming from the motor, and then follow the thin hall sensor cables to their connector from where the sleeve ends) to see if there is a loose connection or anything that causes the beeps again.

If this wasn't a one time glitch, then the likely cause is some slight damage to the hall sensor wires (or sensor?) somewhere, which would mean you would need a new motor.

Again, ask your seller before anything else. Not cool to have such errors on a brand new wheel.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Ask your seller first! This is a brand new wheel and you should not have any issues. 

I did talk to Jason, he hasn’t gotten any other reports and if it’s not happening again he’s chalking it up to a “fluke”, which I would guess means a fw bug. He says a real hall sensor issue shouldn’t get better by itself. 

On 11/7/2020 at 2:01 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Well then let's hope it won't appear again:) It's not critical because even a hall sensor failure during riding wouldn't lead to a crash. So you can enjoy your brand new nice ride in peace:D

Wait, are you being sarcastic? That went right over my head.... wouldn’t the hall sensor failing mid ride cause the motor to stop working?

The wheel is doing it again. I have to keep turning it off and on until the hall sensor defect beeping stops. It happens a lot. 

https://streamable.com/9ipsc3

edit: Boy going back to a Z10 after the RS is weird. It’s only been a week and I already almost forgot how to turn.

Edited by shellac

11 hours ago, shellac said:

The wheel is doing it again.

Return it/have ewheels fix it. Not your job! Too much work for a brand new wheel. Doesn't look like a firmware fluke any longer, just the standard hall sensor failure (probably just the wires but I guess they are going to replace the motor anyways).

(You can try the wiggle thing to see if you can find a loose connection, but that costs time and ewheels has to fix it anyways, so might be pointless other than to satisfy your curiosity.)

11 hours ago, shellac said:

That went right over my head.... wouldn’t the hall sensor failing mid ride cause the motor to stop working?

I'm not 101% sure, but from what was said here somewhere, the hall sensors are only utilized at low speeds for fine control.

And I never heard of a single crash due to hall sensor failure. It's only hall beeps after the wheel has been used and someone wants to start to ride again, and presumably not all hall sensors (or rather their brittle cables) died in the mean downtime.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update on this. I opened the wheel, didn’t find anything obviously wrong. I sent the wheel back in to ewheels. 

The tech at ewheels changed the motor and apparently that didn’t help. They then changed the control board to one with a newer fw which resolved the issue. 

The RS is now working fine and no issues. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, EMA said:

happy for you, enjoy the wheel, i think now you have the new firmware too, it's better ;)

have fun :thumbup:

It does seem to pedal dip less on turns, though it’s possible this is a placebo effect on my part. Maybe there’s a gotway engineer reading this and chuckling. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ben Kim said:

sounds like you inadvertently enabled transport mode somehow. 

Nope it wasn't that. The wheel came on transport mode and I disabled it.

After my episode where the wheel was a doing the Hall effect sensor beeping, I found it would randomly start doing that about 50% of the time when I tried to turn the wheel on. The solution was to move the wheel a bit and then try to turn it on again. Obviously that's not tenable and a super annoying defect for the wheel to have. I sent it in to ewheels and they changed the motor, which didn't fix it, and then they changed the control board which did the trick. Kind of a weird defect as I haven't heard of anyone else with this problem.

• Like 1