Sherman impressions and experiences from a KS rider

travsformation

P.S: It came with 90% charge. When it reached 99.1 V (96% battery according to EUC World) the charger light went green. If I recall correctly, @Marty Backe, you wrote somewhere that 100%  is 99.5 v? Maybe I was just too impatient and should leave it plugged in longer. Any thoughts on whether this is normal?

Thanks!

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, travsformation said:

P.S: It can with 90% charge. When it reached 99.1 V (96% battery according to EUC World) the charger light went green. If I recall correctly, @Marty Backe, you wrote somewhere that 100%  is 99.5 v? Maybe I was just too impatient and should leave it plugged in longer. Any thoughts on whether this is normal?

Thanks!

Nyx hasn't charged above 99.3. I'm assuming a couple of the 18650s aren't pulling their full weight. Couldn't agree more with the appreciation for @Marty Backe. Great review, safe travels, and happy riding.

• Like 1

Your first impression and detailed riding breakdown is exactly how I felt riding my Sherman. I absolutely love my Sherman.

Wait until you go past 45km/h, it really SINGS. An absolute beast! I ride it hard for hours, and feeling ready to quit as my urge to ride is satisfied, then I look down and see battery only at 50%. This gives me a big smile.

• Like 3

Nice write up; congratulations with the Sherman!

As for rail effect I don’t think anyone else ever said such a thing, must be him there is an issue with.

Edited by null
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, null said:

As for rail effect I don’t think anyone else ever said such a thing, must be him there is an issue with.

If the 'rail' effect is a way to describe how it likes to stay going forwards and fights you as you dive into turns... I have the issue as well. Its not overwhelming, but the gyro forces are enough that if I try to switch directions quickly, it surely does hesitate and somewhat fights against me. Maybe its that I weigh so little.  Mines an e-wheels version, it came with blue lights and some seriously disturbing pedal dip. Hopefully FW update will fix this soon.

Nice writeup travs, pretty much on point. Im guessing our differences in weight make the experience a bit different. I've had mine up a mountain and it seems a little more difficult for me than  it is on my other wheel. As far as eating up miles at speeed, sherman wins by quite a margin. Smooth sailing on the Ks18L is around 24mph. Smooth sailing on the sherman seems to be around 34mph. When the 18L runs out of zoom, the sherman is asking me to simply set the cruise control and not worry, theres more left if i need it.

One of my pedals is pretty loose, the other takes a swift kick to get it to fold. Reminds me of when those people were acting like a stuck pedal was on purpose for a kick stand.  The factory mud guard fits perfectly and snaps on easily. The factory seat fits well too, tho its a little to the rear. When seated riding I have to lean a LOT forward to kep rolling and damn these long legs! I ride on my ass but my feet stay on tip toes as its a really crowded fit. I bet I look even more like an escape circus freak while seated. You didnt mention how the knobby tire rides like a dream and makes you sound like an indy car flying down the street. Even the noise makes me smile as its an indication of... you gna hurt REAL bad when this goes wrong :).  Power pads seems to help a little, but not as much as I assumed. The sherm seems to ride pretty much the same, and getting more leverage on the beast, doesnt seem to change it as much as it would a lesser wheel. Still, pads on the sherman are pretty needed in compare to my others. Having something to remind you where the end of the machine is, comes in handy. I mean hell, its a flat sided cube!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, The Dude said:

Nyx hasn't charged above 99.3. I'm assuming a couple of the 18650s aren't pulling their full weight. Couldn't agree more with the appreciation for @Marty Backe. Great review, safe travels, and happy riding.

Thanks!

I'll plug mine in today and leave it for a few hours after the light goes green to see if by any chances the packs will balance.

Safe and happy riding to you too!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You finally got your hands on it, nice!

Looks like it has excellent weight balance.

Veteran pls build an upgraded version with suspension.

Yeah! I'm impressed, when I made the order I accounted for the 10-day manufacturing + 1 month shipping stated on myewheel's website, and added a "Sherman should be here today" note to my calendar (expecting it to arrive at least 1 month late), and much to my surprise, it arrived a day before! 😱

Yeah, it really is well-balanced. Did some off-roading on it yesterday and when going over bumps and rocks at an angle, the wheel either refuses to "acknowledge them" at all, or swings over to the opposite side, then back to the center, like one of those round-based paperweights

3-870x664.jpg

The only scenario I can envision the weight acting against you is if you ride fast over very rough terrain, causing the wheel to bobble about between your legs and mess with your balance and ability for fine control, kind of like when Kuji takes it off-roading in one of his reviews. But as I said, this wheel is very assertive about what it will and won't put up and how it will react if you fail to comply with its wishes 😂

And about suspension...I dunno. Between the large balloon of a wheel and the extra padding those large rubber knobs provide, I don't feel the Sherman needs suspension or would benefit much from it—rather the opposite. If I had any say in a Sherman refresh, I'd probably sacrifice 200 Wh to make the body and cage angle up a little, extend the "roll bars" an extra cm on the top so they protect the wheel a little better, change the headlight to something that doesn't stick out the front (and something without those pointless blue lights) and...for now, i think that's about it. I'm tempted to say I'd increase pedal height a bit but I have a feeling that height plays an essential role in how balanced the wheel is.

And after the refresh, I think they should focus on an RS torque competitor/offroading beast. I don't see any point in them foraging into suspension so early in the game (in terms of how long they've existed as a company), I think their R&D should focus on getting the basics perfect before adding more complexity to their wheels (also in terms of issue-free releases and whatnot) 🙃

In any case, we live in an exciting time for EUCing, I look forward to seeing whatever these lunatics concoct next! :D

• Like 3

22 hours ago, null said:

Thanks! Wrote it immediately after I got back from my first, 3 AM ride, while it was still fresh and the excitement was bubbling over :D

The tram-lining, Z10 effect....I'm pretty sure that must have to do with tire pressure (or the rider) hehe

• Like 3

On 11/6/2020 at 7:09 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

If the 'rail' effect is a way to describe how it likes to stay going forwards and fights you as you dive into turns... I have the issue as well. Its not overwhelming, but the gyro forces are enough that if I try to switch directions quickly, it surely does hesitate and somewhat fights against me. Maybe its that I weigh so little.  Mines an e-wheels version, it came with blue lights and some seriously disturbing pedal dip. Hopefully FW update will fix this soon.

Hmmm....my first thought is tire pressure, but I recall you mentioned in another thread that you've tried different tire pressures. You do run it pretty low though, don't you? Somewhere around or below 20 PSI? Too low a pressure will make any tire a bit of a chore to turn, and this one in particular. You're also a very light rider, so there's that too...Maybe play around with it a little. I started off with 28 PSI and like the way it rides, maybe you could try in the vicinity of 25.

Otherwise....eat more? 😂

On 11/6/2020 at 7:09 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Nice writeup travs, pretty much on point. Im guessing our differences in weight make the experience a bit different. I've had mine up a mountain and it seems a little more difficult for me than  it is on my other wheel. As far as eating up miles at speeed, sherman wins by quite a margin. Smooth sailing on the Ks18L is around 24mph. Smooth sailing on the sherman seems to be around 34mph. When the 18L runs out of zoom, the sherman is asking me to simply set the cruise control and not worry, theres more left if i need it.

One of my pedals is pretty loose, the other takes a swift kick to get it to fold. Reminds me of when those people were acting like a stuck pedal was on purpose for a kick stand.  The factory mud guard fits perfectly and snaps on easily. The factory seat fits well too, tho its a little to the rear. When seated riding I have to lean a LOT forward to kep rolling and damn these long legs! I ride on my ass but my feet stay on tip toes as its a really crowded fit. I bet I look even more like an escape circus freak while seated. You didnt mention how the knobby tire rides like a dream and makes you sound like an indy car flying down the street. Even the noise makes me smile as its an indication of... you gna hurt REAL bad when this goes wrong :).  Power pads seems to help a little, but not as much as I assumed. The sherm seems to ride pretty much the same, and getting more leverage on the beast, doesnt seem to change it as much as it would a lesser wheel. Still, pads on the sherman are pretty needed in compare to my others. Having something to remind you where the end of the machine is, comes in handy. I mean hell, its a flat sided cube!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm pretty sure weight has a fair bit to do with it, particularly in terms of getting the wheel up to speed. Pads will probably help a fair bit, I have the stock ones that came with the Sherman (similar to the top model in the pic), as well as a larger set I ordered (exactly the same as the bottom ones)

Power-Pads-for-EUC-Style-1-and-2.jpg

I've ordered some heavy duty velcro so I can transition gradually to pads without installing them permanently—start off with the more subtle ones and move on to the more I-mean-business ones if the other ones don't suffice, since I've tried riding with pads and wasn't too fond of them (I like to be able to move my legs around freely).

I ordered a seat too (and an additional charger & mudguard) so you won't be the only circus freak in town! :D

Until my factory mudguard arrives, this is my current, 2', DIY fix:

photo-2020-11-07-19-36-05.jpg

And yeah, that knobby tire rides amazing, both on and off-road! How awesome it was to ride over gravel and mud without fear of the wheel sliding out from under me...and to be able to ride aggressively on sketchy-traction paths! Awesome! And that sound...🤤 😍

BTW, is it me or does the tire look like it is a little offset? Or maybe it's just the knobs, but I've checked the rim and it's definitely not misaligned (thank f*!)

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, fbhb said:

I also had my Sherman arrive this Tuesday again surprisingly with the blue flashing lights, but also on firmware version 4.31.  I have only ridden mine on Three occasions so far, but each ride ended up at 100km as I just was unable to call it quits until down to around 20% charge! So total mileage so far shows 313kms and I already really love this wheel, if you couldn't tell!!!

Yeah, weird that they ship new wheels with the new firmware but the blue lights. I guess they just want to use up the stock...

But just to be on the safe side,  I'm going to take the wheel apart and take a look at the board, fuse, screws. Maybe later I'll edit the footage I recorded yesterday 🙂

Ah, how I envy you going on such long rides! Here the weather has been crap since I received the wheel, and to top things off, we have a COVID curfew... no ones outdoors from 10 PM to 6 AM, and we're not allowed to leave our town/city on the weekend. I happen to be in my mom's village in the mountains so there are plenty of trails to off-road on, but most of them are overheat level steep or way too rutty. But there's still plenty to enjoy...if is stop raining 😅

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fbhb said:

I agree that they are most likely using up the stock of Blue lights for any orders other than for Jason eWheels.  I have to admit, I did pull both side panels after seeing the Blue lights, just to make sure my wheel was the current spec that my seller had promised and found it had the thicker/wrapped cables/fuses etc. - so All Good there! 

Hahaha Same here! When I saw the blue light I thought "Oh, crap, I've been sent a unit from an old batch", but sighed with relief when I saw that FW was 4.31 in EUC World, I figured everyone but eWheels were getting the old blue stock, but still had a splinter in the back of my mind that maybe they'd sent me an older model with updated FW, so took it apart this evening, and sure enough, all's up to date: thicker, thermal-wrapped cables, a 50A fuse per side/battery pack, etc.

photo-2020-11-08-04-20-21.jpg

photo-2020-11-08-04-20-22.jpg

photo-2020-11-08-04-20-25.jpg

photo-2020-11-08-04-20-26.jpg

Nice wheel to work with, very minimalistic and straightforward.

3 hours ago, fbhb said:

I did try an allen key on the pedal hangars to check their tightness and was able to get a little bit more on most of the screws, Not loose but part of a turn away from completely tight.  Have not had the top cover off to check the board as yet, but will do shortly.

Same here. I'd say about 1/3 were completely tight, and the others as you described, could use a little tightening; nothing serious, there was only one that needed 1/4 of a turn, the others were more like 1/8th at the most. I might buy a small tube of RTV silicone, open the wheel up again and add a touch under each screw to make sure they don't loosen with vibrations. Same with the screws on the frame.

I might also waterproof the edges of the shell (although I don't see water ingress as much of a risk the way the wheel is set up), and the top, where the board lives (which I haven't opened up either yet) + LCD.

3 hours ago, fbhb said:

I am so stoked to be able to finally do long rides, as my only other wheels so far would not allow anywhere near a fraction of this level of range!  Added to that, being here in New Zealand is actually fortunate for 2 reasons: 1. COVID is generally confined to managed isolation cases at our border and Not out in the community, so we are able to pretty much come and go around the whole country as we please (Well done Jacinda!) and 2. Being in the Southern hemisphere means that we are in spring here, with summer still to come!

Ah, that's awesome! What great timing! Here it's getting colder and rainier and as you know, COVID is out of control here in Europe, in Spain I reckon it'll be a week, 2 at the most, before we're back in full lockdown. You lot definitely have it good with such a competent head of state!

Enjoy the freedom and good weather!

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, fbhb said:

The wobble you see is definitely the Kenda tire and common to most Sherman's with the knobby tire to a degree, but some are luckier than others.  Mine was a lot worse than yours out of the box (a good 5mm of more of offset), but I have since deflated it and tried to massage the beads back as centrally as possible.  It will still need tweaking a little bit more, but I just wanted to get it close enough to be able to ride and get accustomed to the Sherman experience for now!

3 hours ago, null said:

Same as @fbhb , had to twist and bend a bit to seat it better. Deflating, then spinning the tire looking at some center line to see what is to be done. The line close to the rim can also be a good help to check the alignement.

Thanks guys! It isn't so bad it makes it unstable, only barely noticeable, but I'll definitely follow your advice and see if I can straighten it a bit. If I remember correctly, @ShanesPlanet has a large bucket of grease for such endeavours, of which he only used 0.5%...maybe he can mail us each a blob? :efee612b4b:

• Like 3

17 hours ago, travsformation said:

Thanks guys! It isn't so bad it makes it unstable, only barely noticeable, but I'll definitely follow your advice and see if I can straighten it a bit. If I remember correctly, @ShanesPlanet has a large bucket of grease for such endeavours, of which he only used 0.5%...maybe he can mail us each a blob? :efee612b4b:

@meepmeepmayer I got mixed up there didn't I? It was @Tilmann who bought the big bucket of grease, wasn't it? 😅

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Now that you mention it... I think so (sorry I'm too old and forget everthing:whistling:).

Must be that... :efee612b4b:

Sorry @ShanesPlanet, you must have been wondering WTF I was on about with the bucket of grease :roflmao:

7 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Is the offset tire noticable during riding? Or just during the wheel inspection?

I noticed it once during a very small window of time, less than a second (probably something like 27-29 km/h), then it was gone. So, short answer, no 😅

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Must be that... :efee612b4b:

Sorry @ShanesPlanet, you must have been wondering WTF I was on about with the bucket of grease :roflmao:

I noticed it once during a very small window of time, less than a second (probably something like 27-29 km/h), then it was gone. So, short answer, no 😅

I figured you were referring to either 'elbow grease' or the big bottle of dish soap I use to grease up tires. Or hell, just the buckets of grease I have laying around in general. No worries, when I dont understand a referance, I typically chalk it up to me being a burnout.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I figured you were referring to either 'elbow grease' or the big bottle of dish soap I use to grease up tires. Or hell, just the buckets of grease I have laying around in general.

I guess I wasn't that far off the mark then 😂

4 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

No worries, when I dont understand a referance, I typically chalk it up to me being a burnout.

When dealing with me, it's just as safe to assume that it's me who's out of touch with his own brain 😅

A few highlights from my first off-road ride on the Sherman.

I'd only put 7 km on the wheel when I recorded this, which goes to show how grippy this tire is and how much (over?)confidence this wheel inspires :D

(As long as you're mindful of the pedal height) 😅

• Like 3

On 11/6/2020 at 9:22 AM, travsformation said:

You don't need to be a speed demon or a fast rider to enjoy the Sherman experience, it's extremely pleasant and easy to ride at 20 or 30 km/h.

Well, I was keeping the Sherman off my radar because of its reputation as a speed machine. Now you say its nice to ride at moderate speeds. Now I have to put it back on the radar. :efee8c29ce::facepalm::efee8319ab:

I will join in with the rest and say that was a great write-up. Now I know who to blame if a Sherman box arrives at the door. :efef3d5527: Just kidding. I will take some of the blame.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Scottie said:

Well, I was keeping the Sherman off my radar because of its reputation as a speed machine. Now you say its nice to ride at moderate speeds. Now I have to put it back on the radar. :efee8c29ce::facepalm::efee8319ab:

I will join in with the rest and say that was a great write-up. Now I know who to blame if a Sherman box arrives at the door. :efef3d5527: Just kidding. I will take some of the blame.

:roflmao:

Guilty as charged 😅

No shortage of torque up to 40 km/h. In the video above I was riding in the vicinity of 30-35 km/h and it felt great. There's a short but steep climb in the video and at my weight (68 kg + gear) it didn't struggle in the slightest. 

To me its best attribute is the way it rides... That tire is great whatever you throw at it, and at times it almost feels like it has suspension: there are bumps that would propel me into the air on the 16X that this one just rolls over as of they were barely there.

And on the "open road" the handling is very good and the stability and composure are ridiculous for a one-wheeled vehicle, it's a real joy to ride. The 16X is my de-facto off-roading wheel, so I bought the Sherman as a replacement for my 18XL, my "long-distance touring wheel", and it's definitely the perfect upgrade. My speed alarm is set to 50 km/h and tiltback at 55; I've yet to hit tiltback and I'm having a blast on it.

I'd still recommend it even if it were capped at 50 km/h. 😱

On the negative side, not as convenient as the 18XL with its more modest 25kg and fantastic KS trolley handle with lift sensor 😅

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 2