Battery performance - differing weather conditions.

Gasmantle

Hi all,

What do others experience regarding battery power / range in colder weather?

I have a KS16S and regularly ride the same route of approx 20 miles, usually in warm weather I end up with about 35 - 37% of battery left if I start on a full charge. Today making the same run in colder weather than I'd normally experience I found  I had only 23% left.

Admittedly the weather is colder today but it's not an icy winter day and more of a cool foggy autumn morning so I wasn't expecting any significant reduction in battery performance.

What do others think? Is the performance difference comparable with other riders? 

Many thanks.

I have a inmotion v8.

My battery drops a lot faster in the cold. I live in the UK and ride at temps around 1 Celsius (32 F).

Im not sure if this is from the cold but my acceleration and braking is a lot slower/weaker. 

Another thing that someone might be able to help me with is... When I charge my EUC, darkness bot only shoes the percentage up to 94% but the inmotion app shows up to 100%. Also the charger shows the green light to indicate its fully charged but the battery indicator on the EUCs keeps flashing to show its not done charging. Anyone know why this is happening also if this is because of the weather.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

Hi all,

What do others experience regarding battery power / range in colder weather?

I have a KS16S and regularly ride the same route of approx 20 miles, usually in warm weather I end up with about 35 - 37% of battery left if I start on a full charge. Today making the same run in colder weather than I'd normally experience I found  I had only 23% left.

Admittedly the weather is colder today but it's not an icy winter day and more of a cool foggy autumn morning so I wasn't expecting any significant reduction in battery performance.

What do others think? Is the performance difference comparable with other riders? 

Many thanks.

normal, prepare to lose 25% or more of your range once temperatures start inching closer to freezing. 

Winter started Saturday morning, about 12 hours after my new RS(t) arrived. :facepalm: 

So far I've done

- a 30km run in -3c (no preheat) on Saturday morning, roads clean, no snow/ice yet
    - a 7km commute to work in -14c (no preheat) this morning, ice and snow everywhere (15cm was dumped on us on Saturday)
    - a 7km commute back home in -4c (no preheat) this afternoon, same ice and snow as this morning.  (battery: 38% => 27%)

The battery is reporting as at 27%.

My riding weight with all the winter gear is about 250lb.

Worth mentioning that my normal cruising speed is 40-45km/h on dry surfaces, and probably around 30-35km/h on snow/ice days.

It turns out to be a great winter wheel, tonight I'll charge it up for the very first time since I took it out of the box. :) 

Edited by winterwheel
updates to mileage travelled
  • Like 1

Thanks guys,

I've since done my usual circuit and found the battery performance is now back to normal, it sounds as though colder weather had bigger effect than I anticipated. In the UK we are also back on the naughty step in COVID lockdown so I'm riding a little more aggressively on roads without traffic and I guess that plays a part.