Which is the fastest unicycle? 16"

Jaumebyn

I have the ninebot one E and the 20kph limit isn't enough for me.. And the E+ neither.

I want to buy the new model P but the opinions about it makes me doubt.

I don't know anything about other marks or models.

Which is the best, and fastest unicycle 16"?

thanks!

I think a 16" Rockwheel GR16 (geared motor) can go beyond 30km/h, as well as shunted Firewheels (probably not with F132 though, single battery pack might not be enough?), I've reached around 32km/h on a F260, and Hobby16 has gone to around the 35km/h mark (both measured with pretty precise bike computers)... I don't know if I would call either GR16 or Firewheels "the best" (or especially safe ;)), though.

Edit: I don't know if mine could have gone faster, I was too scared to try :D  Also worth mentioning that I myself am fairly lightweight (I'm under 60kg), and I doubt hobby weighs much either.

I got an IPS T260+ 16" and i've done about 50km on it so far. Its rated for 30kmh but currently i can only go 20kmh as its still limited. I have the app for it on my droid but every time i log into my app it re-sets its self to 20kmh and changing it to 30kmh on the app dose nothing. Even right after i change it, it still gives me a warning at 18kmh or so....

Any ideas on how to make it stick or shall i wait till 100km?

19 minutes ago, spikes2020 said:

I got an IPS T260+ 16" and i've done about 50km on it so far. Its rated for 30kmh but currently i can only go 20kmh as its still limited. I have the app for it on my droid but every time i log into my app it re-sets its self to 20kmh and changing it to 30kmh on the app dose nothing. Even right after i change it, it still gives me a warning at 18kmh or so....

Unless you got an IPS manufactured after September this year, you cannot change the top speed! 

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Many of us are eagerly awaiting the specs on the pending KS16"...

I am guessing they will match the speed of the 14". It sounds like they have the capability to go faster but choose not to. In any case, id be surprised if at this point, they would let it run faster than 32kph. It would be a very pleasant surprise though:)

I am currently using the Rockwheel GR16 and can confirm that it goes really fast.  However, I will NOT recommend it; especially newbies.  There have been reports that the Rockwheel is unsafe as it is prone to battery shut off.  It has never happened to me though.. maybe because I do not push it too hard in terms of speed and battery usage.  I never go beyond 28km/h or allow the battery to dip below 20%. 

My grouse with the Rockwheel is the noise it generates and its lifespan.  The gyroscope is suspect as well.  I feel that the gyroscope does not centralise perfectly and calibration does not seem to work.

If we're going to mention Rockwheel, then I've been eying the GT14. 14" tire but is supposed to max out over 30km/h, powerful hub (non-geared) motor, and a big battery for the price. @Colestien is right though, you should prioritize safety over speed. If you fall off at 20+ mph you won't be able to run it off and you risk worse injury.

I think you'd be impressed by how much faster 30km/h feels over 20km/h.

39 minutes ago, csmyers said:

If we're going to mention Rockwheel, then I've been eying the GT14. 14" tire but is supposed to max out over 30km/h, powerful hub (non-geared) motor, and a big battery for the price. @Colestien is right though, you should prioritize safety over speed. If you fall off at 20+ mph you won't be able to run it off and you risk worse injury.

I think you'd be impressed by how much faster 30km/h feels over 20km/h.

I have tried the GT14. It represents good value for money. It is pretty fast and powerful and comparatively cheaper than other similar models. Much better than the GR16 because it is quiet and offers a smooth ride. However, the lack of bluetooth is a deal breaker for me. Also, I find that Gotway and KingSong eucs are better assembled.

The point about getting a more powerful (both speed and battery capacity) euc is to enable you to ride fast without actually pushing the euc to its limits. That said, I really do not see the need to go beyond 20 -25 km/h.  Beyond that speed, it gets really scary when thinking about unexpected mechanical failures which can occur.

Thanks for the replies guys. I finally decided to buy the new model P because i don't like the design and ergonomics of the other models.

Do you know where I can buy it cheaper? with shipping to spain i found it for 1400$. It's too much? How much you paid for it?

Thanks again and sorry my english:P

16 hours ago, csmyers said:

Unless you got an IPS manufactured after September this year, you cannot change the top speed! 

I got it around that date =/, do you say i can't change it with the app but after 100km it will change? or i am stuck at 20kmh for ever?

@csmyers Bluetooth connectivity seems to be the next step forward in euc technology.  Being able to use an app to monitor and/or control your euc is clearly useful.  I would have appreciated being able to use an app to painlessly calibrate and re-calibrate my Rockwheel GR16 without having to disassemble it. I actually had to remove the rubber padding in order to access the circuitry.  It was tedious and troublesome, especially having to find the specific adhesive to replace the rubber padding.

Further, I believe that the sudden shut off failure is the BMS's way of protecting and preserving the battery.  Being able to monitor your speed (with alarm reminders set at various speeds and at your discretion) and the temperature and remaining charge of the battery will minimise or even prevent such shut off failure.

In addition, you can actually regulate the kind of ride you prefer on different terrains by controlling the torque generated by the motor.  

Granted that the apps are presently at its infancy and may be plagued by bugs but given time, the manufacturers will be able to improve on these apps AND add even more features as may be necessary through updates (just like in other apps). Enterprising third party developers may even cash in and develop better bug free apps for eucs with bluetooth. Whether this will actually happen remains to be seen but at least, your euc will not be severely limited if this happens.

On Tuesday, December 08, 2015 at 1:58 PM, spikes2020 said:

I got it around that date =/, do you say i can't change it with the app but after 100km it will change? or i am stuck at 20kmh for ever?

@spikes2020 I bought mine end of august, older version in stock, we're stuck forever to max 20kmH;

I've checked with IPSunicycle's Tony and it seems it's impossible to upgrade the unit.

I guess because the motor is biased for torque instead of speed, which makes it safer if you're a heavy person (like me).

Sofar I'm reluctant to buy the new faster version, because I've faceplanted badly when overtorqueing during acceleration.

look on the bright sight you're stuck forever with a safer wheel;)

@csmyers I am not suggesting that you should be holding on to your cellphone when you ride... that is what the beep notifications/alerts are for.  Having an app allows you the flexibility of making your own settings and other customisations.  Since you ride conservatively, you obviously monitor your speed. Instead of having preset beep alerts fixed by IPS which may not be to your liking, you can actually set your own speed parameters with an app. 

Besides, having an additional feature (even if you do not use it all the time) is always better than not having that feature at all.  I can think of so many other features (anti-theft, updates to the EUC's internal circuitry, light customisation, etc) which can be added by having bluetooth connectivity.  

12 hours ago, csmyers said:

@citiboi To be quite honest I've disabled the beep warnings on my Zero by unplugging the buzzer...whoops :P

I do agree OTA updates are a fantastic feature. 

Is there an integrated tiltback in the Zero? What are you relying on in terms of not exceeding the max speed?

Archived