Police Pulled Me Over

EUC_Ali

(Yesterday, I was cruising around campus. Cop pulled me over for running a red light. It's not like I blew through it. I let all the pedestrians cross first, then with 10 seconds remaining, I crossed.)

Cop: Hey man, as long as you're in the rode, you have to abide by traffic laws...

Me: Cyclist run these lights all the time...  previously, when talking to cops, they told me I was considered that bicycle while in the road, so I didn't see anything worthy of pulling me over for. I've done the same thing in front of several other cops and nobody had a problem with it...

Cop: Just because cyclist run these lights it doesn't mean they aren't braking the law. The other cops just didn't want to get out of their car to tell you otherwise. If everyone jumps off a bridge, would you?

Me: How deep is the water below?

Cop: *Laughs* you are crazy and I have no idea how you keep your balance on that thing anyway. 

Me: Let's hold hands and I'll teach you. 

Cop: haha I'm good, You got ID on you?

(Gave him my ID an his Chief pulls up behind him.) 

Chief: Hey, looks like he already talked to you, but just wanted to clarify with you why we are pulling you over. 

Me: No, I understand you are doing your job, but I am not doing anything different from 1000s of other people so I felt that I was being selected for my mode of transportation rather than the act of running the light. 

Chief: How fast does that thing go? 

Me: around 25 mph maybe 30mph downhill. 

Chief: Any vehicle that goes 25 or faster needs to be plated and registered while on the road

Me: Bicycles, Skateboards, etc. are now able to go 45+ do those? These are all new and we don't have regulations for these, but technically over 25 they would.  

Chief: When you are on the road, you would fall under the classification of Motorized Vehicle and in your case anything over 25 would be a motorcycle. 

Me: Okay, I will make sure to stop at lights and keep it around 25 mph

Cop: Okay, this is just a warning, but if I catch you again, it will be a ticket no questions asked. 

Me: Understood. I was just confused as many other cyclist and modes of transportation do this in front of cops with no penalty, but I got pulled over. Either way, thanks for clarification and it won't happen again. 

(Rode off after he returned my ID) 

The whole faster than 25 thing to me is BS... I felt like he just pulled that out of his ass when I said 25

Sometimes they just get you for something like that. You can just say it's software speed limited to 25 in the future and leave it at that. I don't know if downhill speed should really count towards this limit though. Anything can go fast if the hill is steep enough. The 25mph thing is, in the end, on you as the rider though.

...Speaking of, I should look to see if there's anything about speeds in my city.

Edited by I_Must_Bust
  • Like 1

It is interesting hearing the differing opinions from around the world on this subject. Sure they only gave him a warning. It sounds more to me that the COPs were curious more than anything. They were gathering first hand knowledge on this new device and the people that ride them. “Hey Chief! , Come see this thing. What do we do with it?”  Remember this is Indiana USA. They are not very authoritarian in that area. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

Lucky you, if you ride here in Germany and you see a cop it’s best to look for the next best escape route. :barf:

Sounds worse than UK , never had that much trouble  i just wish I could ride without worry about getting stopped , but like I say I've ridden past plenty

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RockyTop said:

I agree. The law is the law and it does not matter what other people are doing. However, what if they only stop people with cheap Walmart bicycles? ...... Or just cyclist wearing spandex?  In this case I think that the COPs were just curious. They likely don’t know the law. As soon as the Chief gets back to the station he will look it up. I have had COPs tell me that they don’t know the law on these things. They say, “Continue on for now and we will look into the status” In my state an EUC is a bicycle and it is illegal for any state, city or municipality to discriminate against it in any way that they do not also discriminate against a bicycle. So in Tennessee an EUC is in fact NOT a motorized vehicle. 

This brings up a question. I was always under the assumption (even as a child), that bicycles also have to follow traffic law. You know, speed limits, stop signs, traffic lights, maintaining lane, and so on. I also figured that using hand signals for turns as a cyclist using the public roads, was also part of the deal. Of course, I didnt have lights or registered bicycles, but doesnt the same traffic laws apply? Im honestly asking as maybe they dont, and I am once again an ASS for ASSuming. I do KNOW that even foot traffic is legally bound to not cross on red lights. Buddy got a ticket for it as proof.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

50564366442_d621e93cfd.jpg

The Cops and I go way back to when I was 5 years old. Come to find out you can get in trouble for being a look out, The great squirt gun Heist of 75’ 

7 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

This brings up a question. I was always under the assumption (even as a child), that bicycles also have to follow traffic law. You know, speed limits, stop signs, traffic lights, maintaining lane, and so on. I also figured that using hand signals for turns as a cyclist using the public roads, was also part of the deal. Of course, I didnt have lights or registered bicycles, but doesnt the same traffic laws apply? Im honestly asking as maybe they dont, and I am once again an ASS for ASSuming.

Bicycles do have to fallow the same laws including lights and reflectors starting 30 minutes before sunset. They don’t have to have plates or insurance or a license. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 3

As soon as I get a new EUC I add side, front and back reflectors. No need for “probable cause”.

Me - Sure officer , but why did you stop me in the first place?”  “ You have to have a reason.” 

Officer - You match the description of 

Me - a guy that just robbed a store. You guys need some new material. 

Officer-  Move along. Stop blocking the way. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, null said:

I spend big moments of solitude while respecting the red light and others safety, as that flow keep passing on red, endangering everyone.

While I understand taking some freedom from rules, outright considering you are above them is really the end of civilisation to me.

Well, i wouldnt take it that far, or else civilization would already be over, as there are tons of people who consider themselves above it. But im just stating that thats what many people do. Do i? No. I stop at reds. But if the road is empty, no ones around, i might head through. I dont race anymore one whatever because of what i said later in my post. We have eyes on us, so better to not attract too much unwanted attention

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

That's a good way to get a bullet or a weekend in jail. 0/10, would NOT recommend.

I mean i am black but i don't live in the US so i don't fear being gunned down by law enforcement while fleeing and not being a threat. 

also in my country you only get fined from fleeing them, also they can legally confiscate your wheel in this country, happened to my tesla, they ain't gettin my RS. IF you live in Denmark 11/10 would do again.

Edited by xiiijojjo
  • Like 1

Just now, xiiijojjo said:

I mean i am black but i don't live in the US so i don't fear being gunned down by law enforcement while fleeing and not being a threat.

I'm just waiting for an official story that involves you that completely bans EUC's in Denmark.
Good job, the whole EUC community will be thankful. :angry:

• Like 2