why ride an EUC ?

I weighed my options carefully;

#1) Needed to not walk to work everyday from train. I tend to not change my shoes as often as I should and suffered some plantars fasceitis (msp?). Having the wheel helped my feet heal.

#2) Easy to carry on train. The big EUC is not very good on busses, but the train has enough room under my feet.

#3) Upgrade from my 2 wheel scooters!. I used to ride ezip scooters, even modified one from 24V to 36V (that got me over 20mph, but my range suffered).

#4) Nothing beats the wheel base (size) and battery life. Most efficient way of getting around without bicycling.

On 11/1/2020 at 6:27 PM, RockyTop said:

Funny you say that. Back when I was learning I had strange new dreams that I could fly just a few feet off the ground. :rolleyes:

Wow...reading that reminded me....that's what I had too...when I was riding my 2 wheel scooters. For about 3 years while I was riding those, I frequently had dreams where I was flying right over the heads of people, and if exerted enough effort I could take off into the air. Often I lost control and fell, but as soon as I got near the ground I could force myself back up again. Every now and then I can have those dreams. I used to be into lucid dreaming and this is definitely and enabler for lucid dreaming.

On 11/23/2020 at 2:26 PM, Scottie888 said:

I hear ya but still the Mten3 is just soo special & unique as a last mile commuter. Sure I want more speed & range offa the Mten3 but its a want as opposed to a need. As is, the lil' wheel is just about perfect esp on sidewalks, mixing with pedestrians, tossing on small shopping carts (in Asian marts), events in parks & whatnot.

Got other wheels for more range & speed but they feel so lumbering & stiff when vs the Mten3. I've grown to lov the lil' wheel more more each time I ride it. Everyone should have one in their autos & they'll never need to pay for parking nor walk again😍

I’ve ridden the Mten3 on some of the crappiest streets in Manhattan on the road it’s fine, but I found the MCM5 to be faster more range and not that much heavier. Which is why i’m selling the Mten3.  $500 :)

• 2 weeks later...

I originally bought an EUC because of its beautiful functionality. If you take a vehicle and reduce it to its most basic components, then you'd probably get something very similar to an EUC. It has no movable controls, no seat, it is ludicrously minimalist. If I had a bigger house then I'd simply buy one of the Inmotion V's and put it on a shelf with other pieces of art.

Later I got into the skill portion, then used it as practical urban transportation before almost quiting it entirely, preferring to ride a bicycle. I still keep one in my car for emergency usage, but within a few years I'll probably buy another EUC and keep it as art.

On 11/1/2020 at 8:15 PM, Surfling said:

The sheer simplicity and convenience. I've ridden bikes, skateboards, In-line skates  to get around and work in the city

Adding to my earlier post, EUCs are stealthy - practically silent and have the smallest moving footprint compared to other wheels I ride. 

On 12/3/2020 at 9:10 PM, LanghamP said:

I originally bought an EUC because of its beautiful functionality. If you take a vehicle and reduce it to its most basic components, then you'd probably get something very similar to an EUC. It has no movable controls, no seat, it is ludicrously minimalist. If I had a bigger house then I'd simply buy one of the Inmotion V's and put it on a shelf with other pieces of art.

Later I got into the skill portion, then used it as practical urban transportation before almost quiting it entirely, preferring to ride a bicycle. I still keep one in my car for emergency usage, but within a few years I'll probably buy another EUC and keep it as art.

Or.... you could revisit how you view it and use it as pure enjoyment? You know, BEFORE it became a mode of transport but failed in compare to a bike. I often wonder, do people who wind up communting or working from an euc, get to keep that same joy as riders like me? You know, the people that try desperately hard to keep the connection between fun and efficient, seperate. I have lost so many fun hobbies to neccessity. Once My view of an object or action becomes neccessity or too much a goal, it ruins the pure joy.  Cmon @LanghamP, hop on the euc with no agenda, nowhere to go and just completely ignore any worry. Find a mud hole and see how much better that 'art' looks after a few rounds... :) I've been using mine to pick up golf balls and roll in cow shit. Such fun and nearly pointless! As @Surfling mentioned, its quiet, so I find it fun to sneak up on people and yell... BOO!!

@Ben Kim (quoted)"I ride for transport, I’ve ridden enough miles for it to stop being a form of recreation and a legitimate car replacement for many trips."

What you mention, Ben, is exactly what i fear the most. Not the car replacement, but the ruination of yet another source of enjoyment. 

Edited by ShanesPlanet
3 minutes ago, Surfling said:

@ShanesPlanet 'never done it and no plans to join that club, my dude.

Fixed it to avoid confusion. You should plan on it sometime, its fun. Similar to jumping out from a  doorway to scare your friends, only you're gone fast enough they cant punch you for it :)

37 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Fixed it to avoid confusion. You should plan on it sometime, its fun. Similar to jumping out from a  doorway to scare your friends, only you're gone fast enough they cant punch you for it :)

No confusion or fixing needed, bro. 

"Fun" has various definitions to each. I prefer busting my capacity riding rocky trails on mtb's or catching a few solid waves from a good swell.

The EUC  gets me to workplaces without smelling like a locker room, that's  it.

IMG_2675.PNG

Edited by Surfling
4 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Similar to jumping out from a  doorway to scare your friends, only you're gone fast enough they cant punch you for it :)

:roflmao:

I commuted for over a year, the work rides were boring and an A to B affair but I didn't take away the fun of riding at all. I still looked forward to riding for fun on my days off.

Now I rode the motorcycle to work again because it's too far for the EUC. It would be about 30 miles one way and that would just take too much time out of the day. Taking the freeway it's only 22 miles away and about 20minbdoor to door. The commute sucks but I still enjoy hitting the canyons on the days off on the bike too. 

Now I want to work closer to home again and take the wheel, sell the street triple rs and get a dual sport again. I miss my husky! 

13 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Cmon @LanghamP, hop on the euc with no agenda, nowhere to go and just completely ignore any worry. Find a mud hole and see how much better that 'art' looks after a few rounds... :) I've been using mine to pick up golf balls and roll in cow shit. Such fun and nearly pointless! As @Surfling mentioned, its quiet, so I find it fun to sneak up on people and yell... BOO!!

The major problem I have with an EUC is that it's not physically strenuous, and physical exercise is something I enjoy. It's the same reason I gave up motorcycles in favor of bicycles. If I'm doing a hobby then I'd prefer it to be physically challenging.

Mind you, I do ride an EUC several times per week, but almost entirely as last mile and utilitarian transportation. 

New rider. Bought mine as a commuter ~ 8 miles each way on decent weather days. My bicycle started giving me terrible wrist pain despite attempts at adjustments, so had to give up the bike for now. The EUC is a dreamy ride that brings me along new paths and new neighborhoods. But I wish my feet had mobility, and like LanghamP, wish it was more strenuous. I wonder if a pedaling system could be incorporated - maybe a low movement pump, pushing your feet back and forth like a skier. I'm basically trying to learn to ride with some foot movement, shifting my weight on my feet and some one legged riding.

28 minutes ago, cucurac said:

My bicycle started giving me terrible wrist pain despite attempts at adjustments, so had to give up the bike for now.

Youtube is your best friend, or specifically bikefit is.

Apparently, most bicycles have too long of a stem for most of us, and getting a much shorter stem that puts the grips below you instead of way out in front just makes all that wrist pain go away. As it was explained to me, doing a push up with your hands way out in front puts excessive pressure on the wrist, and that can be easily remedied by pulling the handlebars quite far back.

The reason handlebar stems are so long is that people who design such bikes build them around fast riders who are quite light and want the least amount of wind resistance.

Thanks LanghamP. Yeah I've seen some of those videos, and I put on a shorter stem and higher bars, and I previously went to physical therapy w/ exercises, but I still get pain. I think I have a specific, recent problem with my left wrist that biking exacerbates. Still going to try a different handlebar setup (convert from drop to swept back handle bars) to see if that helps.

7 hours ago, LanghamP said:

The reason handlebar stems are so long is that people who design such bikes build them around fast riders who are quite light and want the least amount of wind resistance.

Stem lengths are determined according to rider fit and handling preference.  Longer ones tracks better but sacrifices stiffness.

5 hours ago, cucurac said:

Still going to try a different handlebar setup (convert from drop to swept back handle bars) to see if that helps.

Try "ergonomic" grips and maybe set your bar slightly higher than the saddle. Brake lever angle ideally slanted down (inline with the forearm). Hit me up if you're near Queens. I'm a bike tech.

11 hours ago, LanghamP said:

The major problem I have with an EUC is that it's not physically strenuous, and physical exercise is something I enjoy.

Good on you, brother! ...I'm in the same club as well...

Edited by Surfling
additional text
On 11/24/2020 at 10:24 PM, Ben Kim said:

I’ve ridden the Mten3 on some of the crappiest streets in Manhattan on the road it’s fine, but I found the MCM5 to be faster more range and not that much heavier. Which is why i’m selling the Mten3.  $500 :)

Daayam Ben, you've stirred up my interest on the MCM5 V2. The main reason I love the lil' Mten3 is cos its so nimble that its close to magical. When I wanna turn, it turns on a dime. When I wanna spin, I spin. Its just so much fun to ride even at snailspeed😮! But ya, you're right in that it has the range of a low end escooter with similar topend, if that. 

How does the MCM5 compare to the agility & nimbleness vs the Mten3? I know its 7kg heavier & isn't backpackable but how do they compare when riding? I guess what I'm really getting at is does the MCM5 feel like the Mten3 but only larger, faster with more range? 

TIA

Edit: After a bit of reflection, what I'm getting at is does the MCM5 ride more like a larger Mten3 or rather like a smaller Tesla if you know what I mean? At least interms of nimbleness & slow speed response?

Edited by Scottie888