3 hours ago, GothamMike said:

Must Have:

Large Battery, 80-100 Mile range

Powerful Motor, 18 inch wheel

Bright head and tail lamps

roll cage and seat mounting options

Kill switch under handle (if handle is built in)

Tire choices: Knobby & Street

Cut-out detection

Nice to Have:

Display KPH/MPH Battery level, temp, volts

Smart Watch App, proximity unlock via phone or watch

RGB lights

Loud Speaker for warnings BT-Low Energy music playing

Audio warnings, "Overheat Stop Now" "Battery Low" "System failure code 431"

Suspension with Pedal level choices

Waterproofing: Control Board on top away from tire and rain.

Easy repair capabilities

Less important:

Powerpads

jump pads

colorful outershell

cup holder

I think many unicycles are available that fit those specs...

Even if they brought it out, why would anyone buy from them, vs a provent already tested model?

23 minutes ago, OneLeg said:

I think many unicycles are available that fit those specs...

Individually yes, but all those specs in a single wheel not just yet. Suspension wheels have started to take off with a bang though (bad analogy? :P), so I’m guessing we’ll see wheels closer to all mentioned specs within a year or two.

Everything about security should be mandatory, all wheel must have :

- Tire that dont flat once a year or two, tubeless, pressure monitoring (especially since we might play with low limit).
- Highest IP protection, no one want a cutout due to bad connectors, or a fire.
- Speakers, or buzzer, that you can hear.
- A screen, Gotway T3 good enough (if the shine still allow the read), to never be unaware of speed & battery level.
Can have powerful LED Signal in complement of buzzer when reaching a limit.
- Good front and rear light.

And because it's already decided, good suspension that save the day in unexpected pothole.

Security is no crap !

49 minutes ago, Camenbert said:

Everything about security should be mandatory, all wheel must have :

- Tire that dont flat once a year or two, tubeless, pressure monitoring (especially since we might play with low limit).
- Highest IP protection, no one want a cutout due to bad connectors, or a fire.
- Speakers, or buzzer, that you can hear.
- A screen, Gotway T3 good enough (if the shine still allow the read), to never be unaware of speed & battery level.
Can have powerful LED Signal in complement of buzzer when reaching a limit.
- Good front and rear light.

And because it's already decided, good suspension that save the day in unexpected pothole.

Security is no crap !

Firstly none of those are of real importance again, you keep going for gimmicks...

The two most important one sare, being able to break, and the unicycle not bursting into flames.... Lets start with these.

Firstly for breaking: We have a little problem as most of these big wheel are rigged for speed, don't have to torque to meet road safety testing in line with a motor bike before they can get their road worthy certificate, never mind being put among pedestrians (which is most of the riding I do). So all these crazy specs 3Kw motor, 80km/hr means they will never have the torque.... and of course they should never be allowed to ride. Even for smaller unicycles which have motors coiled for torque, manufacturers should start providng 20A battery packs also...   In HK we proposed for the licensing to include a breaking power test, so to ensure that the weight and breaking power of the wheel are tested jointly before issuing a license.

Secondly: The charger, the BMS, and possibly the cells themselves should be able to pass tests and not.  Also the standard have to be for unicycle, we don't need safety standard which aren't allow unicycle to catch fire whilst riding it over having a cut off...   The standard should set for unicyles and not approve some crap from scooters.

Gimmicks....

Tire pressure: Measure it before you go out every few days... we don't need more hardware to do this.. Many cars have not have TPM for decades and some we survied.

IP protection: Depends where you in the world, when you ride, when it rains I will take out a V5 as it has IP54. The IPx standards make it a total bitch to maintain open, and seal... Personally love something like the GT16 and MCM which you can open quick and can focus on real work. When I go out and it could rain, i carry a plastic bag and put it over the body of the unicycle and keep going....

Buzzer you hear.... dunno this is a given, never heard of any wheels that aren't anoyingly loud, but maybe you can enlightne me.

Screen?, Speedometer should not be down there, if you have to look check the speed you should not stop looking forward again. So forget the screen, battery level gage, most have it....  What I would like to see are some cheap like digital thermoter size box, low tech, which connect to the wheel via blue tooth, so that when you are riding you can attach it to a glove or something.

Good and real lights:  Depends Again, if you are on the pavement having lights I find are dangerous, you stress and scare pedestrians and they are likely to be react unexpectedly.... Maybe for those places where you ride on the road it matters.....'

Back to the topic, what is going to make the next GT16 a success?

Edited by OneLeg
  • Like 1

May you understand we are in free market, where clients votes with their purchase ?

I identify and list what look important, in one word security.

Please go with your own requirement, future will tell.

Today's EUC head-orgasm:

I think they should go another way. Why make another suspended-long-range-high-speed-wheel when people can pick one or more from 3 manufacturers ?

I would go for enthusiasts, 'real wheelfans' and DIY people - focus on performance plus customizeability.

Maybe they should even sell NO assembled wheels except for 1 basic model to appeal to people who know what to do.

When you buy a Rockwheel you should be able to:

- select 60/84/92/100V for board and battery

- select a pedalhanger for 14,16,18+20'' wheelsize

- select one from two sizes for the shell - for bigger or smaller battery

- select Economy motor or high performance motor option

- have an option for suspension, when needed

- A Board with usb-debugging, maybe an app for configuration of motor+sensor-stuff. You shoud be able to use any motor from any wheel, tell the board how many magnets and which wheelsize and hall sensor arrangement is needed ...

- maybe a separate burnable, changeable LED-driver-board for front+backlight (and fancylight,when needed)

A simple appless option to calibrate (GT16 style) and set mode on the fly (soft,medium,hard) would be good - but no touchscreen with endless options and speedometer - the app should do that. I would tend to 1 button and 3 LED's plus a rudimentary 3 digit voltmeter - done.

I think dirt+waterproofing and simplicity on dismantling for tire change should be in focus, because a tire that does not flat once a year or two is more on tire manufacturers side than on EUC manufacturers. A wheel where you can simply go to the next gasoline station for filling up the air without the need of an adapter or removing parts from the shell IS on the hands of the EUC manufacturer.

For me, the buzzer is needed on low speeds only, to avoid overheating (powerbeeps) - at higher speeds, I tend to rely on the tiltback function. A TPS ? serious ? Before I put one foot on my wheel, I let it bounce one time to check the pressure. Then, 20m behind my door I have my 'calibration curbstone' and once a month I check the pressure by refilling with manometer. I think TPS is a good choice for Gotway T3 users that tend to look down while driving to check their speed and range while having the phone in the other hand to check tire pressure and weather. :lol:

With this setup no one needs to worry about anything

- Unsure and you want start from 14'' and then go to 18''? No problem: Buy a 14'' GT and just switch the motor and pedalhangers later on, instead of spending 2.4k for a complete new wheel.

- Unsure with battery size or buget? No Problem: Buy a GT with the bigger shell and extend your range with a bigger battery directly or later.

- Your old GW MSProv3s+ has a fried board and you can't find one anymore because it's older than two years? Maybe then you only need a GT-Motherboard to fix it.

Just options over options and component refining over years, instad of launching a completely new wheel every few months - this does not exist at the moment.

I think that would possibly be the next bigger evolution to EUC :D

• Like 1

Customizability that goes that far is an interesting requirement.
But why to rule out some element of that customizability then (screen, tps)?

For example you're calling for appless option to calibrate the wheel but no touchscreen with endless options and speedometer - the app should do that
I have problem to see the logic...

Should be all options or nothing!

2 hours ago, Camenbert said:

For example you're calling for appless option to calibrate the wheel but no touchscreen with endless options and speedometer - the app should do that
I have problem to see the logic...

That's right - It's MY HEAD ORGASM - there was no need to be 100% logic ... :lol: there should of course be an option.

I would not want to have a shiny display or a fancy LED ring or BT-speakers for a device that sometimes drops hard into dirt and stones and often ends up in mud and puddles. Focus away from too much geeky stuff - IF onboard hardware settings THEN highly reduced and focused on essentials and reliability. For me, this ends when the display is huge and has more than one color and so on (one useful case is when u want to show off your lift-speed - but why?)

Normally there's no need to change speedalarms or tiltback settings that frequently - app would be ok for that. Just in my own case I would like to switch between sport and medium mode quickly without app - sometimes. Now you can say "but that is a nerdy feature" ... maybe yes, but it's a direct setting on the main feature that defines the character of your EUC - so it COULD be as essential as a lift-switch.

eg. the Veteran display - cool feature but too much - u do not even need an app - but it's a computer with 8 submenus - good for countrys with people that have no smartphones.

GT16 = 1 button that makes power, light, calibration - 2 battery LED - no hassle.

This was my intention.

Edited by s.m.

Mmmmmmm... As a DIY-er myself, I think I'm gonna side with @s.m. on this one.

I like the idea of them selling one basic model of wheel that just works, and then selling a whack-ton of DIY options (with included simple, straightforward instructions) that end-users can use to modify their wheel on their own. That keeps their basic product affordable and their assembly line EXTREMELY simple and efficient (only making a single model with no add-ons) and also allows them to make money on whatever extras people want to buy to put on their own wheels for customization. Once they ship the working wheel and whatever extra individual parts the customer wants, it's in the buyer's hands. If the buyer wants to change out a motor or upgrade to a different shell, let them do that themselves. If they mess it up horribly then they mess it up horribly. If they don't want to bother with all the choices and just want something that "works", then they can either use the base model of the wheel, or go to one of the other pre-fabricated options made by the other companies. There's something for everyone.

• Like 3

Instead of "tell us what features we should put on our new wheel that eventually will be outdated next year" they should offer a simple 16" wheel with interchangeable parts - max.2 battery sizes - with aftersales service and warranty and so on - as @Arbolest said "...basic product affordable and their assembly line EXTREMELY simple"

If you want a 18" instead, you will just get a box of pieces with warranty on parts, but no service - or you have to go for a Gotway or a KingSong while RW is more for professionals and DIYer's :lol:

At this time the DIY part on euc's is very limited to modding shells, put gadgets or some new pedals on it.

The "one motherboard that serves them all" plus some compatible parts to build anything you want, could revoke a whole bunch of broken/burned/outdated EUCs around the world.

I think it would be possible to even sell silly stuff: "swarowsky edition footplates" in 10 colours, extra bluetooth gadgets, LED-bling-bling, or coloured alloy parts :lol::lol::lol:

• Like 2

The idea is seducing, but you can't cover all the market this way. Too many parts, too complicate.

14" (&16"?) are mostly city/small trip users that already have a good choice.
Also compactness is an argument/target difficult to reach in a DIY scalable form.

I believe a platform just based around a 406mm rim (20" bicycle - 16" motorcycle - huge choices of tire for both) might cover most of DIY public.

• Like 1

I believe a platform just based around a 406mm rim (20" bicycle - 16" motorcycle - huge choices of tire for both) might cover most of DIY public.

I think you're right on this point. :thumbup:

A roughly 20" tire/wheel sounds like it would be right in line with what a lot of tinker-minded enthusiasts might want. It's right between the all-purpose 18" and the original 22" monster-size wheels that so many avid riders enjoy. Depending on the configuration it could be made to be lighter and more nimble for some shorter off-roading adventures, or more massive and stable for longer cruises on calm roads.

Also compactness is an argument/target difficult to reach in a DIY scalable form.

You're certainly not wrong here. When I think of all the things I've wanted to do with my wheels the most important factor for me was whether or not I could physically fit the necessary modifications into the shell... Size/space definitely matters, and with mods for these wheels it's generally better to have more so a larger wheel for the base product sounds like it would probably be a better way to go! 

The idea is seducing, but you can't cover all the market this way. Too many parts, too complicate.

Just remember, if they design it right then a lot of the Mods and add-ons could already exist out there and wouldn't need to be made and/or supplied by the company (just think of all the aftermarket cameras, automotive-grade lights, and even bicycle accessories that exist already). As long as their base product has enough mounting-points for stuff like this they could focus their add-ons and spare parts development on EUC-specific items like interchangeable motors, the "One-For-All" control board that can handle a range of battery voltages and motor types, haptic/vibration motors for signaling alarms, and selectable trolley-handles.

That said, this is still just a big "What if?"

I personally think it's a great, fascinating idea with a TON of potential for the community, but I'm not blind to the difficulties involved in developing not just a wheel, but a full DIY platform and viable ecosystem of interchangeable parts. It would take a company that is FULLY dedicated and committed to the task, but the potential payoff for both them and all of us is almost unbelievable in its scope! I'm excited just imagining it!! :w00t2:

Edited by Arbolest
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 2:00 PM, Young il KIM said:

IRON KOREA New Wheel Test 

(Scheduled to be released in 2021)

Enjoy your life

What is the spec you want?

ironkorea100@naver.com

Competitive price, reliability and built quality enough to bring Korean made wheel to be no.1 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2021 at 7:51 AM, OneLeg said:

Dear Iron Korea, thanks for all the teaser trailers and great prototypes, but please just ship something, already. The specs look mostly great; the aesthetics, eh, need improvement.

Most riders suffer from one issue, range anxiety, if they were given a choice to get a small, light stable unicycle, which has got 1000-1500Whr, I think many would skip speeds above 30km/hr [40km/hr], the huge motors, the suspension and all the BS.

Right on.

The GT16 has many good things, which I will go into later, but why not just focus on fixing what is wrong, addressing all the complaints and showing people you care about the products?

• the trolley handle suck it is dangerous in a collision and breaks easy, looks crap too, makes the wheel hard to handle.   MUST HAVE!
  • the mostfet on the battery pack to protect the battery which may cut off the unicycle when over discharged,  only Rockwheel does this. YIKES!
  • The noise!!!! It is so noisy due to poor engineering  Quality matters!
  • Your manufacturing quality is bad, I've seen boards that are shorted out of the factory.... High failure rate = DOA
  • 1500W  motor is nice, but do you need 1500W? Can you go smaller with 60V and over drive it? make the wheel lighter?  I would accept a heavier motor and battery combo for more power/speed up to a point, maybe +3-5kg max.
  • Internally the cabling is a total mess, a dogs breakfast. Make it beautiful on the inside, too!
  • Try a 1.95 chao yang tire,, manouverable, softer, or give buyer the option to choose tire type. 1.95 to 2.5"   At least make the wheel well large enough to accommodate larger tyres.
  • The rear red light is too bright an annoying and it attracts the police in places where the wheels are not legal.  This should be an easy fix.
  • maybe make the pedals longer, more comfy  Definitely.

And sorry to say this but  Iron Korea.... sounds crap, no brand has their country in the name, Iron? Rockwheel is a better brand and you should keep it or license it.   Agreed.

Your new wheel looks like a toaster or a brief case.  Sad but true. It looks like a Gotway shell. I would still be interested, but not compelled to buy. Bring back or evolve the GT16 sexy design, please. 

Edit: Yes add a mudgard to the wheel also. Agreed.

Edited by litewave

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Time has passed, the space for large unicycles is saturated and there is little point in bringing out another big wheel.

As pointed out earlier, they should play to their strengths, refine the GT 16, fix the issues maybe add 21700 batteries.

If they are in no position to execute they should sell the brand and technology to someone else to carry forward. We want more GT16 wheels.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 4:53 AM, evil696 said:

Is there any news about Iron Korea company?

i would think this would be the most important question, not what they are selling....how difficult or how easy it is to gather some relevant info on this company and what they manufacture aside from euc's is the telling story in this thread...