V11: Firmware won't upgrade? Solutions here!

Tryptych

Mod edit: this seems to be the main fix, but there are other approaches, just read this thread. It seems to be related to app permissions.

-

My V11 says its firmware is v1.1.64 and it wants to upgrade to v1.2.1 (I thought I already did this last week). When I hit 'Confirm' it says 'Upgrading' at the bottom of the screen and then nothing happens, the progress bar doesn't move. Tried multiple times - is there a trick to it? I am trying with the wheel powered on, bluetooth connected, laying on it's side (I've tried while it's upright as well). I have tried 'Reset' from the app, and holding the power button for 30 seconds. 

Any suggestions?

edit: this was solved by reinstalling the app from the play store.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

5 hours ago, Tryptych said:

My V11 says its firmware is v1.1.64 and it wants to upgrade to recalibrate itself v1.2.1 (I thought I already did this last week). When I hit 'Confirm' it says 'Upgrading' at the bottom of the screen and then nothing happens, the progress bar doesn't move. Tried multiple times - is there a trick to it? I am trying with the wheel powered on, bluetooth connected, laying on it's side (I've tried while it's upright as well). I have tried 'Reset' from the app, and holding the power button for 30 seconds. 

Any suggestions?

Try switching off WiFi and vica versa with data and see if it helps ,,I updated mine with it on it's stand, turn wheel on just try to update ,if it does eventually upgrade make sure you wait till the outer bars of the battery indicator stops flashing and then it should restart and calibrate before outer battery  indicator stops flashing , otherwise it should be straight forward  ,make sure you've got the latest a INMOTION APP too OR IT MIGHT NOT UPDATE  version 7.7.4

Use an android  phone i don't think apple works yet, not to sure

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inmotion.ble

Edited by stephen

7 hours ago, Tryptych said:

My V11 says its firmware is v1.1.64 and it wants to upgrade to v1.2.1 (I thought I already did this last week). When I hit 'Confirm' it says 'Upgrading' at the bottom of the screen and then nothing happens, the progress bar doesn't move. Tried multiple times - is there a trick to it? I am trying with the wheel powered on, bluetooth connected, laying on it's side (I've tried while it's upright as well). I have tried 'Reset' from the app, and holding the power button for 30 seconds. 

This is problem with Internet connection to Inmotion servers. Unfortunately, quite a common issue. Inmotion servers often don't respond or connection is unstable, so firmware download fails. The only solution is to try again and again until you succeed. Of course, I assume that your mobile device has Internet connection.

21 hours ago, stephen said:

Try switching off WiFi and vica versa with data and see if it helps ,,I updated mine with it on it's stand, turn wheel on just try to update ,if it does eventually upgrade make sure you wait till the outer bars of the battery indicator stops flashing and then it should restart and calibrate before outer battery  indicator stops flashing , otherwise it should be straight forward  ,make sure you've got the latest a INMOTION APP too OR IT MIGHT NOT UPDATE  version 7.7.4

Use an android  phone i don't think apple works yet, not to sure

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inmotion.ble

I upgraded mine with an Apple phone and it went well.

• 1 month later...

I could not update to 1.2.1 on my Pixel 4A. I tried clearing the cache and storage. I tried about 30 times throughout the day to no avail.

It updated perfectly the first time I tried using an Iphone. 

• 1 month later...

My v11 is still stock factory firmware because no matter how many times I try, it says "download failed". I've tried it on wifi, LTE, 5G, VPN. I've tried it on the latest iPhones, the latest androids, on tablets, on iPads. I've tried it on about 8 different devices. At this point I've tried it about 150-200 times over the course of about a week. This is by far the worst aspect of this EUC and I would have totally gone with Kingsong if I had known the app had 2.2 stars in the Play store and the devs clearly don't care. The server connection problem is just unacceptable in 2021, with how absurdly simple it is to include redundancies for down servers. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Estabro said:

I would have totally gone with Kingsong if I had known

Other manufacturer apps aren't even better:facepalm: The state of first party apps is atrocious.

Not sure if EUC World (Android) (third party app) supports firmware updates with the V11/Inmotions, but I think it might.

17 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Other manufacturer apps aren't even better:facepalm: The state of first party apps is atrocious.

Not sure if EUC World (Android) (third party app) supports firmware updates with the V11/Inmotions, but I think it might.

That's good to know, this is my first big boy wheel and everything else about it is amazing. Fortunately I don't see myself requiring the app at all after updating.

SOLVED: I ended up downloading an old version of the app from a 3rd party site and installing the .afk file manually. The firmware all of a sudden worked first try, but then it locked up my Bluetooth (Bluetooth symbol stayed on and wheel wouldn't connect to app even with restart) so I had to hold down the power button while turning it on and keep it held till it turned back off. All updated and now I'm done with the app and not looking back.

• Like 1

I had this same issue. Android phone here. New V11 that just came a couple days ago. Heres how I fixed it:

Make sure to register your wheel. Then find the Inmotion Android app on your phone. Long press the app icon and click 'app info'. Under the 'advanced' tab change the permission settings to 'Allowed' for both 'modify system settings' and 'install unknown apps'. Also make sure you give permissions to the app for storage. 

After these steps my update downloaded no problem. Good luck. 

Screenshot_20210118-072922_Settings.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fiori said:

I had this same issue. Android phone here. New V11 that just came a couple days ago. Heres how I fixed it:

Make sure to register your wheel. Then find the Inmotion Android app on your phone. Long press the app icon and click 'app info'. Under the 'advanced' tab change the permission settings to 'Allowed' for both 'modify system settings' and 'install unknown apps'. Also make sure you give permissions to the app for storage. 

After these steps my update downloaded no problem. Good luck. 

Screenshot_20210118-072922_Settings.jpg

Ha!  That did it thanks.  Modify system and unknown apps is kind of scary perms to give.  but hey gotta do what you gotta do.

12 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

Ha!  That did it thanks.  Modify system and unknown apps is kind of scary perms to give.  but hey gotta do what you gotta do.

Glad it worked for you as well. You could always enable it for the update and then disable it after as well. 

Might be a good idea to sticky this info for others who have the same issue. 

• Like 1

• meepmeepmayer changed the title to V11: Firmware won't upgrade? Solutions here!
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Jerkface said:

Hmm, just got my v11, and was having the same 'Download Failed' error.  I've tried the elevated permissions fix, and tried another phone (also android), but no luck. I then tried an iPhone, and it worked the second time.  Sheesh!

Hey, it eventually worked! That's already a success in the world of EUC manufacturers;)

Congratulations on the nice new wheel!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

When I try to firmware upgrade the update downloads but before it will install it a small window in send her the screen pops up that says please lay your car down.  LoL.  I know right.... Wtf does this mean.  I thought maybe it was referring to the wheel like I need to have a disabled or something.  I tried a bunch of different things anybody run into this before thank you.

On 10/29/2020 at 3:07 AM, Tryptych said:

Mod edit: this seems to be the main fix, but there are other approaches, just read this thread. It seems to be related to app permissions.

-

Any suggestions?

edit: this was solved by reinstalling the app from the play store.

Thank you for posting this, i had the same issues but after reinstalling the inmotion app i was able to upgrade the fw.

• 2 weeks later...

I think for android users it's the dang maze of elevated permissions the app needs to flash the wheel!  You will see all kinds of permissions questions... Permission to name your first child... etc.  It needs them all.

• Like 2

I've had quite a few issues with my v11 since day one.   Firmware updating (or just getting apps to load and connect) are top of the list.   I recently struggled to get the Android app to even log into the servers, which is required, before even being able to try Bluetooth connection to the wheel.

I have access to 3 android phones, all of the failed initially.

I have an iPhone 8 (I think) that ultimately was able to connect and do a firmware update... however now the iPhone will not connect to the wheel but the Android will connect.

• 2 months later...

I have a pixel, Android os, and I don't have any of those Advanced permissions available on my screen. I clicked the three dots at the top and select ALL permissions and still nothing related to those shown here. Wtf. Technology is always fucking me in the ass. 

• Like 1

Tired upgrading again just now, message to Lay Car Down, and after that, I saw the update bar progressing! Yay! The a message said to turn of EUC, it would not turn off. Then got a weird flashing battery on the V11 and a message saying something like Unauthorized Firmware detected or something like that. Freaked out. Plugged the wheel in to shut it off, rebooted, and everything worked. New firmware detected. Long story short, I have NO IDEA but somehow im upgraded. 

• Like 1