V11: Firmware won't upgrade? Solutions here!

Tryptych

I tried to update the firmware to the latest version on Saturday and it got stuck. The update went fine to 100 % and then the app froze. I had to close it and then waited for the wheel to finish flashing the battery symbol. I tried to connect the app again but no luck. Eventually the battery indicator changed stopped flashing and I tried to lift it up and start it. The battery indicator was lit but the button didn't react. Still no bluetooth connection. I did the soft reset by holding the power button down 30 sec and it shut down. But after that the wheel just powers on and doesn't balance or light the battery indicator. Bluetooth not available. The wheel was on its side when updating and the app was on latest version and on iOS. 

Anybody know if there's any way to fix it? And if I need to change the board, do I need the upper or lower board. Or maybe both? 

Inmotion support seems to take a long time to answer anything. I'm considering buying a new wheel so that I can get riding faster and sell the old V11 later when it's fixed. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 7:27 PM, macgyvercanada said:

You can reset the wheel to factory defaults, I believe by holding power for 30s

Holding the power button for 30 seconds doesn’t reset any settings, it only does a hard reboot. I don’t think an option exists to reset the wheel to factory defaults.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2021 at 3:58 AM, UniVehje said:

I tried to update the firmware to the latest version on Saturday and it got stuck. The update went fine to 100 % and then the app froze. I had to close it and then waited for the wheel to finish flashing the battery symbol. I tried to connect the app again but no luck. Eventually the battery indicator changed stopped flashing and I tried to lift it up and start it. The battery indicator was lit but the button didn't react. Still no bluetooth connection. I did the soft reset by holding the power button down 30 sec and it shut down. But after that the wheel just powers on and doesn't balance or light the battery indicator. Bluetooth not available. The wheel was on its side when updating and the app was on latest version and on iOS. 

Anybody know if there's any way to fix it? And if I need to change the board, do I need the upper or lower board. Or maybe both? 

Inmotion support seems to take a long time to answer anything. I'm considering buying a new wheel so that I can get riding faster and sell the old V11 later when it's fixed. 

Got my wheel back from repair today, it has a new motherboard... I did the first firmware upgrade from v1.1.64 to 1.2.1 without issue. Rode around for a while, all good.

The 2nd firmware upgrade (going to 1.2.22) failed and "bricked" my V11 similar to the message I quoted above: After an hour I cancelled the stalled upgrade (had to reboot my phone and the wheel).  Now when the wheel is turned on it does not balance and the battery indicator flashes at me stupidly (note this firmware upgrade included a battery indicator flashing alert). Now I can no longer connect via bluetooth (this firmware upgrade also included a BLE upgrade).  

I have tried rebooting the wheel multiple times (holding the power for 30 seconds and hearing a very quiet noise to know it worked).

I've also tried fooling around while it was plugged in - interestingly it makes a different sound if you hold the power button for 30 secs while it is plugged in - it does 3 slow beeps and repeats about 5 times then stops, this behavior may or may not be related - maybe someone can plug their wheel in and test if the same happens to you while holding the power button.

....any suggestions on how to proceed?

Edited by Tryptych

18 hours ago, Tryptych said:

....any suggestions on how to proceed?

Today I tried connecting with the InMotion app and it actually made the connection. It immediately said there was a firmware upgrade available. I put the wheel on it's side and clicked 'upgrade'. It immediately said I was on the most recent firmware. Now the wheel balances and everything is back to normal. In Telegram chat I've heard others have had a similar experience.

I recommend people wait for the next firmware release before updating (avoid version 1.2.22).

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tryptych said:

Today I tried connecting with the InMotion app and it actually made the connection. It immediately said there was a firmware upgrade available. I put the wheel on it's side and clicked 'upgrade'. It immediately said I was on the most recent firmware. Now the wheel balances and everything is back to normal. In Telegram chat I've heard others have had a similar experience.

I recommend people wait for the next firmware release before updating (avoid version 1.2.22).

You don’t have to upgrade it with the wheel on the side. It can be done titled back on the kickstand.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2021 at 10:58 AM, UniVehje said:

It took two weeks to get an answer from Inmotion tech support. That was 12.6. 

It has now been 9 weeks since I was promised spare parts for my V11 bricked by firmware update. Still not even a tracking number and no answers to my messages. I'm done with this wheel. I might get it back to riding condition by the time the riding season is over. I need to see some big changes within Inmotion before I buy another wheel from them.

Edited by UniVehje
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

My firmware is 1.1.64. I turned on the wheel and set it up to update many hours ago. The blue dot light keeps being lit on the wheel's power charge display, which means that something is going on (I assume). Whenever I try to exit the update on the phone, the app says, FM is being transferred, are you sure you want to quit.... I think I am about to leave it on overnight, and see in the morning if the firmware got updated.

Edited by jmsjms

18 hours ago, jmsjms said:

My firmware is 1.1.64. I turned on the wheel and set it up to update many hours ago. The blue dot light keeps being lit on the wheel's power charge display, which means that something is going on (I assume). Whenever I try to exit the update on the phone, the app says, FM is being transferred, are you sure you want to quit.... I think I am about to leave it on overnight, and see in the morning if the firmware got updated.

This is purely guesswork, but I think it sounds like a good idea to leave it on for the night. There is unfortunately a real risk of getting the board bricked if the FW upgrade has truly already started.

Hopefully there’s a timeout on either the phone or the wheel that would stop the upgrade if nothing is truly going on.

Edited by mrelwood

• 1 month later...

I am on Android. I tried many times to upgrade to the new firmware. Kept getting Failed or Error messages.... Finally uninstalling and reinstalling started downloading it, but then this is what I got:

"An abnormal vehicle firmware is detected, and you need to update the firmware to fix it. Are you sure you want to exit?"

I click on Confirm, and nothing happens. But prior to that the voice kept saying, "Please repair, please repair..."

Update: the upgrade from hell has finished. It finally worked after one hour of fiddling.

Edited by jmsjms

Not a v11 but v12 … tried updating firmware and it failed midway. Wheel is now mostly bricked. It can self balance but it isn’t able to successfully connect to Bluetooth and the LCD screen doesn’t turn on and the handle killswitch doesn’t work.

grrr. Sounds like people experienced similar issues in this v11 thread with several success stories but it’s not clear how you guys fixed it :(

have tried holding power down for 30 seconds both while plugged in and not.

15 hours ago, ESB said:

Not a v11 but v12 … tried updating firmware and it failed midway. Wheel is now mostly bricked. It can self balance but it isn’t able to successfully connect to Bluetooth and the LCD screen doesn’t turn on and the handle killswitch doesn’t work.

grrr. Sounds like people experienced similar issues in this v11 thread with several success stories but it’s not clear how you guys fixed it :(

have tried holding power down for 30 seconds both while plugged in and not.

Man, that sucks!

If you use Telegram, drop a line in the Official Inmotion chat. There’s now an Inmotion software guy amongst us.

If not, shoot an email to: service@imsvc.com

Edited by mrelwood

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Daniel Perez said:

Can not log in my new V11 to the Inmotion app.

It says after seconds on getting to the app "error of verification, please log in again".

Any help please

Sounds like the issue is indeed with your login to the app. I don’t know if there’s something specific you could do, but maybe you could try and create the account again?

The wheel could be available to other apps already though, so you might be able to use EUC World (Android) or DarknessBot (iOS) if you need to get to the wheel settings etc.

14 hours ago, Daniel Perez said:

It says after seconds on getting to the app "error of verification, please log in again".

Any help please

Hello @Daniel Perez and welcome to the forum. Do you use android or iPhone? On an Android device, you can remove the data associated with the app and start it from scratch. Of course, it is possible to remove and reinstall the app. The last option is to choose "I forgot the password" from login screen or create a brand new account with secondary email address.

14 hours ago, Daniel Perez said:

Any help please

Inmotion love you personal data(like all Chinese companies becasue CCP) to work app you need

1 TURN GPS ON(and be shure you phone is localised test with google map map etc)

2 TURN BLUETOOTH ON (second source of location data)

3 TURN mobile data (sometime WIFI login is problematic)

Carefuly Inmotion app hate VPN and block login if you mock location

4 restart phone (sometime help on android)

If all this fail try what recomended users above my post.

Ewerything i write is my personal experience with inmotion app and solution what work for me.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

My issue with the V11 update here. 

• If you dont want update, dont open inmotion app or use darknessbot/euc world (in theory) - Update will force itself on your wheel at some point causing the wheel to not balance, not being able to turn off with normal shut  off methods. 
  • Dont use Inmotion app while you are far away your home with your wheel if you have been declining the updates!
  • IF you declined the updates and you opened the Inmotion APP,  wheel will start this  blinking battery light thing and wheel will not balance = hold power button for 30 or more seconds until the battery light turns off
  • (Wheel might say to you "please dont move" , or beep at you, depending on your settings - ignore that for now.
  • Open inmotion app, be in an area that has good cell service or access to wifi
  • You may notice no battery indicator, but press the power button anyway and you will see your wheel being able to connect to app. Your wheel is now in a low powered bluetooth mode.

• App will force you to update the wheel , you must be in area with good cell service or have stable wifi.

• Update will complete when you see battery visual update indicator on the wheel, it balances itself ,and the app says the update is complete.

Edited by CyberV0LT
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

Surprisingly, found my V11 (waiting for me outside) with a red light... couldn't turn it off... erratic messages in the app (faulty com/communication in diagnosis, audio "please repair")... blinking battery light... etc. And of course, impossible to update firmware, for any reason. Stuck.

I have read all this thread (many thanks) and try to apply everything described here. I used two different Android phones, two different WiFi connections, pointed wheel to North and South poles, etc. Spent two hours, to finally succeed. At one moment... I could download and update the firmware and then everything run fine again.

Don't really know what saves me...
But what I can add to all that has been said is that the last thing I changed on my phone before things went better was about the Android option "Apps to Display Over Other Apps" in InMotion app properties...

Again, not really sure. Looks more like magic, mystery and s**t !!

Edited by 11x11
  • Upvote 1