Ruberizing kingsong pedals

Cloud

So, i wanted to make kingsong pedals less slippery. I saw posts where people put plasti dip on theirs and went to home depot today to get one. At home depot, when i told them what application i wanted they recommended something else to me. ( see attached pic)

it doesnt look as nice and accurate as the ones covered with a thin coat of plasti dip, but i believe it will be more durable and may work better. Besides, black pedals look much better with the black wheel than the aluminum ones:)

its not wet right now but i can already feel a better grip to the pedals, so i am pretty excited about trying this out in the rain in the future

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

6 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

I wish they would have coatings that would make the pedals soft on the sides to minimize the accidents caused by these pedals.

What do you mean, what kind of accidents? You mean from scraping the pedals on the pavement, or when the wheel falls and starts spinning and the pedals fly around and hit your legs?

Just now, Cloud said:

What do you mean, what kind of accidents? You mean from scraping the pedals on the pavement, or when the wheel falls and starts spiing and the pedals fly around and hit your legs?

Yes like during sudden dismounts where the wheel tumbles and hit the ankles.

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/2034-warning-to-use-chinese-noname-units/?do=findComment&comment=22240

Yes this happened to me one time when i was still learning. The pedals hit my shin really bad, it was bruised and bleeding like crazy and took a month to heal. A few more times when this happened i wasnt hurt but i was very afraid that the people around me will be hurt with the wheel spinning. Not really sure how to fix this. Even if the edges are softer they can still make a lot of damage. But i guess it wouldnt hurt to make them softer.

Rode again today, on 2 coats of "rubber spray" after it cured overnight. Wow, what a difference!! I recoomend this to everyone, if not specifically this product, then something similar, but kingsong pedals must be rubberized!! This just gives you a whole new level of control over the wheel and you can do so much more and feel so much more comfortable and safe. I pesonally dont think there cant be too much grip, so id want to have as much of it as possible. I have yet to test them during rain/ slippery conditions, but i already know the answer...

2 hours ago, Cloud said:

. I pesonally dont think there cant be too much grip

Again having only 5 sessions it seems that at least at my level that the "pedal grip" and shoe, boot sole combination choice is important.

I feel to much grip would make foot position micro adjustments harder while at the same time not slipping on them sure feels better.

Unfortunately as still learning on friends 9bot I can not change this parameter but sure will when I have my own.

I am sure to cushion the pedal edges as have a nice bruise from mister 9 bots, my fault of course, still learning.

ukj

6 hours ago, UKJ said:

Again having only 5 sessions it seems that at least at my level that the "pedal grip" and shoe, boot sole combination choice is important.

I feel to much grip would make foot position micro adjustments harder while at the same time not slipping on them sure feels better.

Unfortunately as still learning on friends 9bot I can not change this parameter but sure will when I have my own.

I am sure to cushion the pedal edges as have a nice bruise from mister 9 bots, my fault of course, still learning.

ukj

When changing foor position, i wouldnt just slip my foot over. I think its much better to have as much grip as possible and if need to change foot position, you can transfer the weight on the other foot primarily, then sort of lift the foot you want to adjust or relieve the pressure momentariyl and shift. Yes i can see it may be easier to do with less grip during learning stage only when one still feels uncomfortable riding with the weight on one foot only, but i just believe one can adjust to this maneuver and having more grip is much more important in other situations to avoid involuntary slipping off the pedals when riding over bad pavement, during jumos, during tight turns and tiltbacks. In fact i feel that having better grip can enable one to do more agressive and tighter turns and feel mire secure while having better control of the wheel.

28 minutes ago, trya said:

thanks, @Cloud - I also like to have as much grip as possible, ordered this seal ("clear" version) and will try it on my pedals.

Awesome. If you want it to look nicer than mine be careful when applying the spray to be uniform across the pedal good thing is you can always correct it by removing yhe layer or adding another. Even if the rubber ends up uneven, your feet will make it more even after some use.

@Cloud  you can test wet conditions by stepping on something wet.  When I goof around and ride on the grass and the grass is wet I get the instant slippery pedal situation.  It also depends on the shoes.

I like this idea and I'll be trying it myself.  You can try masking areas that you don't want sprayed and you can also be artistic and do patterns.

I had the same issue on the TG F3.  I applied Grip Tape.  I was told to be careful about how much I applied because it might be hard to dismount or move my foot around, but I have to say, it's perfect this way.  The TG F3 Foot Pad is SOOO Much more slippery than the NineBot One.  With the Tape, it's really fun to ride, and it's very durable tape.

20151125_165826727_iOS.jpg.96e4db23dc81a

1 hour ago, castShadow said:

@Cloud  you can test wet conditions by stepping on something wet.  When I goof around and ride on the grass and the grass is wet I get the instant slippery pedal situation.  It also depends on the shoes.

I like this idea and I'll be trying it myself.  You can try masking areas that you don't want sprayed and you can also be artistic and do patterns.

Yes, i know, the issue with wet conditions is not so much that the wheel rolls on something wet. Like you said, the issue is when your foot is temporarily on wet oavement and then back on the pedal. I just havent seen anything wet outside lately, and i am too lazy to simulate it by bringing water out:) i will just wait fir the rain:)

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

I'm sure the spray helped with the tape, level it out more...at least you have a full pedal to stand on. The spit pedal I got is just not right...

Now what to do about foot movement while going over bumps....

I agree about the split pedal.  It seems insignificant, until you ride it.  Much easier for the feet to get tired.  The grip tape does help though because I'm not fighting as much to keep my feet on the pads by wrapping my toes around the front.

3 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

I'm sure the spray helped with the tape, level it out more...at least you have a full pedal to stand on. The spit pedal I got is just not right...

Now what to do about foot movement while going over bumps....

No, this is a different wheel. There is no spray under the tape. I put the tape right on the pedal.

yes this split is messed up. In terms of not having the full surface to stand on, so pressure is higher and your feet must get tired easily. The grip should be ok on the split pedal. What is the issue with the bumps? I dont understand, if you can stay on the pedal then good, if the bump is so high and speed so fast that it makes your feet separate from pedal thats ok to, they will go right back on...i never had too much friction be in the way of that....i dont think your foot should slide in any circumstance...unless you want to get off the wheel, you still can..

I like the grip tape so much that I added it to my NineBot too.  When wet, there is NO slipping due to water.  Bumps, maybe, but I really like the tight grip I get while riding.  Makes my legs less tired.

IMG_1295.JPG.43fa3761fb4011c93597db35bacIMG_1298.JPG.aca8d838fff6ee57aaf5b1c8b09

The split pedal on our Monorover in't bad.  I thought I wouldn't like it at all.  But, (hear this Alice) I was wrong.  We bought the Monorover used and someone else had already put the tape on the pedals.  It might be the weight per square inch, or something like that, but My feet move more on my 9bot clone than it does on the Monorover.

4 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

I mean when the concrete is so broken up, it's like going over cobble stone path, the foot travels off location a tiny bit with each bump, not stay in position, but not exactly slipping.

I actually dont think that its a good thing if your foot slides over the pedal a bit on bumps. It may seem like a good thing for you to stay balanced and upright but i am still against any unvoluntary/ unplanned lateral movement of the feet over the pedal. I think there shoukd be other techniques in place to compensate for the shift. While sliding can be used as an advantage, i believe it ooens  a pandora box for other disadvantages and risks. also, in my opinion, the benefits of the tightest grip outweigh the benefits of being able to slide a little.

Archived