V11 top speed throttling - FW 1.2.1

Chaotropic

Question for the group. 

I’ve been on an iPhone and wasn’t able to upgrade my V11 firmware until recently. I haven’t done it yet because I believe I have been noticing a big that may have been fixed. 

The top speed in “fancier” mode shows 34 mph well beyond 80% battery. Today I hopped on my V11 while going to work at 51% battery and the stated top speed in the app was 34 mph. The app showed top speed of 32.5 during the trip. Unfortunately on the way home I didn’t check the top speed in the app, but I was experiencing tilt back and the top speed for the trip was recorded as 30mph. 
I recall another instance when I was below 80% and the top speed showed 34mph top speed, but I didn’t really take notice. Now I seem to notice this all the time. 

I believe fancier mode allows for 34 mph top speed beyond 80%, potentially down to 50% battery with firmware 1.1.64. 

What battery % are you noticing speed throttling from 34 mph to 31 mph? 

Did it change when upgrading firmware?

• Like 1

I will take a look at everything tomorrow as I also noticed some discrepancies with fancier mode performance and the battery being below 80%.

As a matter of fact, on the 3 other IM wheels that I have owned the battery indicator always dropped near 20% intervals for each bar. The V11 is not behaving like that. I checked the app for battery level while showing 4/5 bars on the wheel and was in the lower seventies in the app. Something seems to be off (with the app or me, lol). 

• 2 weeks later...

So I am still on Version 1.1.64 and I don’t understand the speed throttling. 
I took a ride and the battery indicator on the app showed 65%. Top speed at 34mph. And the in app voltage was 77.4. My top speed for the ride was 33.8 mph. 

https://ibb.co/GpBww98
https://ibb.co/Fb9XH15
https://ibb.co/P6jV2kv

Took another ride. The batter was showing 54% and 33 top speed. When I was at 32% batter it showed 32 mph top speed. I didn’t check voltages on the app or top riding speed. 

I’d like to know what others are experiencing. 

Not sure at what battery % mine has been tilting back. I have noticed, however, that the tiltbacks are pretty constant up in the high 20's (mph) when I have it in commuter mode. I could be wrong, but it really seems to tiltback less in offroad mode. 

Edited by birdmentin

Now this is what I understand as to what is going on, but since I don't ride this fast I have not confirmed this. 

Another sidenote is they are releasing another fw change due to customer feedback. I will not go into this. 

First a bit of history. First fw had a very fixed % when speed dropped and it wasn't as smooth in transitions either. 

This has been change again due to customers feedback. So it should be a bit more limiar and this also means it is not at a fixed %. Or in a way it is (this is the harder part to explain). 

In current fw 1.2.1. A part of battery remains hidden to the rider/app if you look at %. So when having about 11-10% battery you can switch on go home mode. This will add about 20% (but volts remains the same). 

Until you do this switch the wheel is much more forgiving in how it throttles speed. This is partly because Inmotion do not show same level of battery sag as other brands. They smoothen out the reporting a bit. Since Inmotion always keep a headroom for safety this is not a problem. But if you are familiar with a GW wheel all of this works very different. I guess there are different opinions about this but I like what they are doing. I always had a hard time understanding the GW way of allowing a rider to ride into cut-off speeds. 

Now a brief note on what is coming. IM said they will now have current option and a new one that let you have always go home mode on. If this means they make other changes to throttling plan remain unsaid at this point in time. The reason I bring this up is that the IM headroom might change up or down to make sure spikes/sag in battery do not damages cells. 

But them again above 50kmh a few kmh matter not at all to me. Most of the time I only ride at 35-40kmh. I have briefly a few time hit 50kmh but I don't have fancy mode activated.