V11: Need a better pump for the shocks

Tryptych

• 2 weeks later...

I tried exactly this a lot of times yesterday on my newly arrived V11 with that same pump from the video – and it never worked on the negative chambers. It let always all the air go when unscrewing the same way as shown in the video.

The larger positive chambers are not so much of a problem, but I think there’s also a part of the air going out. One can hear that. If you ask me, at least my pump is a piece of crap.

In this video they seem to have a much better pump (coming with the V11):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkf6_lRrM14

You can see that pump at minute 2:37. It has printed "GIYO Air Supply" on it. Looking for this on Amazon will show up these pumps.

Anyway I had a very rough start with my new V11 yesterday. Most problematic beeing the pump and the connection with the Inmotion App. Both did not work. Then, when the App connected one time, I tried to update the firmware, bricking the bluetooth connection again. Actually I’m thinking about sending the whole package back.

1 hour ago, TomCat said:

I tried exactly this a lot of times yesterday on my newly arrived V11 with that same pump from the video – and it never worked on the negative chambers. It let always all the air go when unscrewing the same way as shown in the video.

The larger positive chambers are not so much of a problem, but I think there’s also a part of the air going out. One can hear that. If you ask me, at least my pump is a piece of crap.

In this video they seem to have a much better pump (coming with the V11):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkf6_lRrM14

You can see that pump at minute 2:37. It has printed "GIYO Air Supply" on it. Looking for this on Amazon will show up these pumps.

Anyway I had a very rough start with my new V11 yesterday. Most problematic beeing the pump and the connection with the Inmotion App. Both did not work. Then, when the App connected one time, I tried to update the firmware, bricking the bluetooth connection again. Actually I’m thinking about sending the whole package back.

This pump works perfect for airing up shocks. It has a little lever that disengages the pressure before you unscrew it so nothing is lost. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DBPMDK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

3 hours ago, Willy510 said:

This pump works perfect for airing up shocks. It has a little lever that disengages the pressure before you unscrew it so nothing is lost. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DBPMDK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Yeah, that’s the original pump that was provided with the V11.

But must like the RockShox pump I got to replace it, the threads on the connector wear out quite fast. Maybe the threading on the shock valves is a bit too small making the issue worse.

In Mountainbike Forums and Tests it is clear and evident testet, that none of those pumps cause Airloss. What you hear at unscrew is only the air thats in the Hose of the pump and not a loss from the Chambers of the dampers....the only time when they cause Airloss from the chamber is when you screw the pump on to to the damper (so you can not only check the pressure because there are 10psi lass then because the Hose of the pump will be filled with the air from the chamber.)

If you screw the pump on to the chamber, fill it to your desired PSI and the unscrew it and you are fine. The desired PSI are still in the chamber for sure! Only the air from the pumps hose will Released, this is What you will hear. The Head of the pump seals the Valve till the Valve Core is fully released to prevent airloss from the chamber. 

• Like 2

Thank you, Willy510, for suggesting an appropriate pump (the same as shown in the video I guess).

To onkeldanuel I can only say, that of course you can easily test if you have achieved any pressure in the negative chambers: Just press the button on the negative chambers valves after the pump has been properly disconnected. If absolutely no air comes out (like in my case), you did not get any air in ;-)

But of course it can be the case, that only my pump (delivered by Inmotion together with my V11) has a technical problem ...

Of course you can test the psi in the chamber: thats why the Lever or any other 2-step-connector is for. This pumps are on the other hand the only ones which can cause airloss by User error too (if the Connector is screwed onto the damper to much.

Shock-Pumps without such 2-step cant measure/check the psi without airloss, but dont cause any airloss after pumping the chamber and then unscrew.

So the only thing i want to tell is. If you want to check the psi sometimes then get a 2-step type pump and Use it Properly to prevent User error airloss.

Or get a pump without 2-step mechanism and you can be Definitly sure the pumped psi is still in the chamber after unscrewing. 

That is testet thousand times over years on the mountainbike dampers 

Edited by onkeldanuel

You're kidding! You can screw the connector onto the damper too much and therefor have airloss when properly unscrew (like shown in the video posted by John Middleton)???

Something like this should not be possible – but I will make another try in the evening today for sure. Thank you!

So, now I have been trying to fill the negative chamber a multiple times – every single time testing if any pressure is in the chamber by pressing the valve button after the pump has been properly dismounted.

Although I worked very very carefully on this (not screwing the connector onto the damper too much ;-) I managed it just a single time (on a high number of tries) to get some pressure inside. Under this condition I can never ever guarantee that the damper is under pressure after pumping it with the deliverd pump from Inmotion. This is clearly NOT working for me in any case!

And what I now believe more is that there is a high number of people out there who just „think“ they have filled their negative chambers (like maybe you, onkeldanuel). Just beeing convinced that these pumps cannot fail if you handle them right is not a good idea. I can only advise everybody to try filling the negative chamber a few times and test it afterwards (like I did) before assuming that everything has worked without flaws.

And last but not least: I am certainly not the most stupid one in this matter, because I have a background in mechanical engineering. On the other hand I have seen a lot of products in my life not working as advertised ...

The way to go for me now is buying a better pump (and maybe tell Inmotion that their provided pump is not really suitable – at least for the smaller negative chambers).

And just to be clear – the pump not working for me is looking excatly like the one used in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQgpQhzO3Vc

It has printed "INMOTION" on its stem.

I believe that the pump introduced by Willy510 is a better choice:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DBPMDK

Perhaps your pump is Detektive.. i dont use the delivered pump because i dont like the lever on it. I use a pump without any 2 Step because of the mentioned above...just screw on, pump and screw of...

Yes, as already posted in my second post in this thread, it could be the case that only my pump from Inmotion is having a problem. And of course this thread is an opportunity now for others to post, if they have problems with the delivered pump or not.

And yes, I have the same pump as shown in the video (which seems to be by the way a video from Inmotion itself), and it has a 2-step connector in form of a threaded wheel. I would now assume that a pump with a lever is a better solution.

And believe me, I have inspected my pump thoroughly – and I cannot find an explanation for the "defective behaviour".

Anyway, I will not go deeper into this – I will now order a pump with a lever of manufacturer GIYO.

2 hours ago, onkeldanuel said:

I use a pump without any 2 Step because of the mentioned above...just screw on, pump and screw of...

The problem with those pumps is that you are screwing the pump out while the shock is pushing the pump's connector against the soft valve threads at the force of 100-150 psi. The threads are already pretty loose as is, and a pump like that will eventually kill the threads.

Even the GIYO pump originally provided by Inmotion lost it's threads a good while back despite me deflating the hose every time before screwing it out. And now I need a third pump since the second one had no 2-way mechanism, and it ate the threads on the shock valve enough for the pump not to hold on anymore.

"Chinese threads" is a thing.

• Like 1

I got the new pump now. It is working a bit better, but also with this pump it is not easy to fill up the negative chambers properly (too many times they are still empty after I tried to fill them).
Maybe I’m too stupid to do that – but honestly I don’t believe it.

On the other hand I’m not a fast rider and my new V11 is quite a smooth experience as it is. So maybe I don't have to worry too much about it. On the other hand such things should work as advertised in my opinion.

If I’d have an EUC shop somewhere in my vicinity I would go there and ask for a test filling of the negative chambers on another V11 (just to find out if there is a technical problem with my V11). But due to the fact that EUCs are not very popular here in Germany, I’m out of luck. 😤

I have now testet 30 PSI on the negative and its really better and smoother for my Taste then 50 psi...at 85KG...

But on your Problem with the pumps: 

Have you already tried to check the chamber pressures like this? 

-Screw the pump on

-Prefill the Hose of the Pump to your last chamber-PSI you pumped in the last time

-Then aktivste the 2-step mechanism of your pump to activate the Valve on the chamber

What happens if you do like that?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, h3X said:

Why can't you just pump in 5 psi more than you want, disconnect and lose the 5 psi, and arrive at the pressure you wanted?

Because you don’t lose any pressure when detaching the pump, if you detach it correctly. If you do it incorrectly, you will lose a completely random amount of air. The method above is to prove yourself that no pressure was lost from the shock when detaching the pump.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 2:52 AM, Finn Bjerke said:

how about an electric pump? Mine is OK but more than 50 PSI is not possible. 

No electric pump has a valve that will prevent air loss when disconnecting. They also don’t get the pressure high enough. You’d need a pump capable of 200 psi, and none of them do.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

a last „thank you“ for all your kind answers! In the meantime I don’t mind about that pumping aspect anymore – because anyway it is pure fun to ride the V11 ;-)

The only downside for me at the moment is my misfortune to live in Germany, the land of the nitpickers and non-innovators ...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FYI, for anyone out there with a V11 and the second pump type losing air (visibly and audibly) and not working:

I had this problem arise after a number of usages.  I tried everything I could think of, wondering what was wrong with the seals, and even let the pump cool down to see if that would help.  In hindsight, I feel foolish for not thinking of the solution right away.

The solution was to make sure the piston was firmly screwed into the main body.  I felt it turn as I rotated the piston.  Then I felt it stop as the threads bottomed out.  Then, the pump miraculously worked!  Ha!  :)

(I realize the above members probably already knew this, and they are discussing different problems, but I didn't know where to post this.  It seems related.)

Edited by PatrickD
  • Like 1