V11: Need a better pump for the shocks

Tryptych

Can anyone recommend a better pump that doesn't make you drop pressure when you unattach it? Maybe an electric one with some kind of quick release?

(ps: I'm aware the InMotion pump has a latch, but it doesn't work properly for me and I end up losing about 5 PSI when I take it off)

Edited by Tryptych

Just now, Bill Kolk said:

If the new pump is better maybe you can order that as an official part?

Oh I see your point now, but I want something tomorrow with Amazon Prime :)

There are lots of them that look decent but I want the one that is best at keeping the PSI where I set it.

Anyone got a good pump and a link?

Purchased this one over the weekend. Was sold on the "Zero air loss" line, but not seeing how the design is any different from a standard shock pump. Truth be told, I only messed with it for a few minutes so maybe there is a process that I am not aware of.

bbv11p.PNG

8 minutes ago, Tryptych said:

Oh I see your point now, but I want something tomorrow with Amazon Prime :)

The Pro Bike Tool shock pump is really good. You can manually disengage the pin while still attached to the shock to cut down on air loss (or maybe there is a process that I am unaware of.. broken record, lol).

https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Shock-Mountain-Bikes-Motorcycle/dp/B07R7CFGJT/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3E9KOSN67EAFA&dchild=1&keywords=pro+bike+tool+shock+pump&qid=1603745920&sprefix=pro+bike+tool+shoc%2Caps%2C308&sr=8-2

amazonpump.PNG

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 1

It seems to me that the pressure lost is just what is contained in the hose from the dial to the connector.

When I pump up my shock I pump it to about 110 PSI release the lever and press the bleed button until the dial goes to zero.  If I flip the lever back it will read 100 PSI which is what I want my shock to be set to.  It is very consistent and I can do it every time.

I believe every pump is going to have this problem, it normally doesn't show up as much because what you are pumping up holds much more air.  The percentage of the air in the hose is about 10% of the total volume so when it is disconnected the PSI drops about 10%.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Themarsman said:

It seems to me that the pressure lost is just what is contained in the hose from the dial to the connector.

When I pump up my shock I pump it to about 110 PSI release the lever and press the bleed button until the dial goes to zero.  If I flip the lever back it will read 100 PSI which is what I want my shock to be set to.  It is very consistent and I can do it every time.

I believe every pump is going to have this problem, it normally doesn't show up as much because what you are pumping up holds much more air.  The percentage of the air in the hose is about 10% of the total volume so when it is disconnected the PSI drops about 10%.

So is the pressure 110 in the chamber and only reduces to 100 after you open the chamber to “measure” and air from the chamber refills the hose? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chaotropic said:

So is the pressure 110 in the chamber and only reduces to 100 after you open the chamber to “measure” and air from the chamber refills the hose? 

Good question, but does it really matter?  It is very consistent and when I put it at that level it rides great for me.  My guess it is might be at 110 PSI and when I hook it up again it drops to 100 PSI.

1 hour ago, Chaotropic said:

Yes that is exactly correct. When you retract the hammer from the pin and air loss you hear removing the device is due to hose pressure. If you release that pressure, screw the pump back on and then flick the hammer forward air then fills the hose and that volume is equal to a 10psi loss. 

• Like 2

On 10/26/2020 at 5:43 PM, Chaotropic said:

Yes, if you are measuring pressure with the pump you lose some pressure to fill the hose. And considering how small of a volume of air goes in the shock, that hose will take a large % of that air out (compared to a tire where that hose full is almost nothing)   For a more accurate pressure reading use a tire pressure guage

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just got my V11 today and the new pump is worse than the one I've been seeing in all of the YouTube videos (the silver one). This one bleeds off too much as you unscrew it from the valve. And...the black end unscrews from itself and not just the valve. Yep, not real happy at all with this pump. It's a piece of crap. I will have to get something that really works. I hope everything else is better than this pump. 

Edited by BigSkyGlide
No longer a need for the picture

The Pro Bike Tool with the red needle is my pump of choice. I find if I unscrew the needle 50% and then do the rest with the main nozzle the air loss is minimal. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Shock-Mountain-Bikes-Motorcycle/dp/B07R7CFGJT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=pro+bike+tool+shock+pump&qid=1606698129&sr=8-2

I have 5 other shock pumps that I never touch, lol.

• Like 1

Sounded like a lot of people on YouTube/forums using original pump incorrectly including me. Some people talk about pressure loss, some about hard to unscrew.

Here is a method I saw on you tube. Works great

1 screw pump on

2 pressurize  pump to last setting (by pumping)

3 THEN lock pump on (opens valve actually)

4 pressure should stay at last setting.

5 adjust as necessary to desired pressure

6 unlock pump

7 relieve all pressure in hose with button on pump

8 unscrew pump

I think you will find you don’t get that 10 pound +/- loss people are talking about when hose refills when attaching. Also makes easier to unscrew. Hope that helps.....

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Rawnei said:

I have the same pump and it works fine??? You unscrew the top part first and then bleed it before unscrewing the bottom part, works like a charm.

Hey Rawnei... Wow... Now here is a prime example of why people need to be a part of a community like this. I see what you're saying and it looks like I stand corrected. All part of being a newbie to all of this. Thanks for correcting me in a nice way. What you stated makes sense to me now. Going to give it a shot a little later on the V11. Thanks and have a great day!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 3putthater said:

Sounded like a lot of people on YouTube/forums using original pump incorrectly including me. Some people talk about pressure loss, some about hard to unscrew.

Here is a method I saw on you tube. Works great

1 screw pump on

2 pressurize  pump to last setting (by pumping)

3 THEN lock pump on (opens valve actually)

4 pressure should stay at last setting.

5 adjust as necessary to desired pressure

6 unlock pump

7 relieve all pressure in hose with button on pump

8 unscrew pump

I think you will find you don’t get that 10 pound +/- loss people are talking about when hose refills when attaching. Also makes easier to unscrew. Hope that helps.....

You have a link to the video?

1 hour ago, Finn Bjerke said:

this is much easier..... electric pump

image.png.6325426ce946e604d32007d54fe35cd5.png

Ali express has it

A regular pump made for filling tires don’t usually have the valve connector designed in a way that prevents air loss when disconnecting. No need to do that for tires.

Also, a shock pump must be able to reach closer to 200 psi. None of the electric ones come even close.

• Like 3

On 10/26/2020 at 3:00 PM, gon2fast said:

The Pro Bike Tool shock pump is really good. You can manually disengage the pin while still attached to the shock to cut down on air loss (or maybe there is a process that I am unaware of.. broken record, lol).

https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Shock-Mountain-Bikes-Motorcycle/dp/B07R7CFGJT/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3E9KOSN67EAFA&dchild=1&keywords=pro+bike+tool+shock+pump&qid=1603745920&sprefix=pro+bike+tool+shoc%2Caps%2C308&sr=8-2

amazonpump.PNG

Just bought one on Amazon. I figure it is good to have an extra around too. Sure doesn't hurt. Thanks for posting. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 12:46 AM, Rawnei said:

I have the same pump and it works fine??? You unscrew the top part first and then bleed it before unscrewing the bottom part, works like a charm.

I was literally about to post the same complaint regarding the pump. So glad someone figured it out, that does work well. Thank you.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 1:46 AM, Rawnei said:

For the new pump, what do you mean by unscrew the top part first? The unscrew portion of the pump is one single piece.

John