My first Veteran Sherman video

Violinfun

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 2:56 AM, Violinfun said:

Been learning and having a blast on this fantastic machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WADXXdMawVU

Nice ride! Looks like a smooth straight shot. Careful at those speeds. You must be an UBER fast learner, as I'm still working on staying at 40mph comfortably at all. Object avoidance is pretty damn tricky on the sherm at speed. Its a LOT of weight and a lot of gyro to contend with. Love the sound of that tire. Amazingly smooth too. Thanks for the vid!

• Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 3:33 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

Nice ride! Looks like a smooth straight shot. Careful at those speeds. You must be an UBER fast learner, as I'm still working on staying at 40mph comfortably at all. Object avoidance is pretty damn tricky on the sherm at speed. Its a LOT of weight and a lot of gyro to contend with. Love the sound of that tire. Amazingly smooth too. Thanks for the vid!

Thanks Shane!  I didn't feel uber fast compared to all the stories of people learning in a few hours but at this point over 1300 miles on the beast and I am much more comfortable.  You are spot on with the whole avoidance thing.  Sherman just wants to go straight for sure.  I have learned the hard way not to follow too closely behind cars.  Too used to the sharp braking abilities of ebikes.  No crashes fortunately from that.  Just that realization that I need to pad stopping distance.

On 11/11/2020 at 3:04 AM, Namelan said:

What a sound he may be 200km+ speedy

It's probably a good thing it can't reach that sort of speed!

2 hours ago, TheseusMinor said:

At what minimum speed does the gyro become noticeable? I prefer strong gyro effect wheels.

I don't know, maybe around 10mph? How odd that you prefer a wheel that resists your inputs. Its not just something that all of a sudden appears. The nature of the wheel intensifies with speed. Ironic... its a heavy bear to mess with when its not rolling and its a bitch to knock it off its vertical axis while rolling. B)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

"If you try to ride it like a 16X, making tight turns by rotating it on the vertical axis with your knees and ankles and shifting weight aggressively with your lower body, not only will it take a lot of effort (that's a lot of weight he's trying to move around from pedal-height), but the wheel will most definitely tell you to go f* yourself and try to throw you off." — Travsformation

More corroboration that I should get this wheel. I want to throw my weight to the side, lean it with my knees to take tight corners at high speeds!!!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheseusMinor said:

"If you try to ride it like a 16X, making tight turns by rotating it on the vertical axis with your knees and ankles and shifting weight aggressively with your lower body, not only will it take a lot of effort (that's a lot of weight he's trying to move around from pedal-height), but the wheel will most definitely tell you to go f* yourself and try to throw you off." — Travsformation

More corroboration that I should get this wheel. I want to throw my weight to the side, lean it with my knees to take tight corners at high speeds!!!

Its definitely a motobike feel to me in the corners. You have to demand that it turns and it does so very smoothly. Its the flip side of the coin. You lose nimble feel, but you gain smooth cornering. Of course its only up to the point that you scrape the low pedals. The sherm take hi-speed sweepers with ease, but as you lean further and further out with your body and increase lean angle for hi-speed turns, those pedals get pretty close. Coupled with a bit of pedal dip on uphill sweepers and I've managed to drag shoe a couple times. Definitely a wheel capable of medium sweep turns at pretty good speeds. Its much more solid in 25mph turns than my 18L, tho it also takes a bit more effort. I tried airing the tire to give me easier lean and better accelleration, but i quickly crossed over into too harsh to suck up the bumps. Im a lover of letting a tire do a lot of the work. Im only 130lbs, but im also very tall, which somewhat helps my leans get more authority. Example.. I can do a corner at 25mph on the 18l and keep my knees tucked into the RollNZ cover. Same turn on a sherman and I need move a knee out just a little to help. The best part of the sherman.... it is even capable of doing a 40mph turn, if i am! I wanna learn the limits of the pedal height and angle so I can habitually scrape pedals in hi speeds turns. Add some spark plates...  mmm fun fun.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Its definitely a motobike feel to me in the corners. You have to demand that it turns and it does so very smoothly. Its the flip side of the coin. You lose nimble feel, but you gain smooth cornering. Of course its only up to the point that you scrape the low pedals. The sherm take hi-speed sweepers with ease, but as you lean further and further out with your body and increase lean angle for hi-speed turns, those pedals get pretty close. Coupled with a bit of pedal dip on uphill sweepers and I've managed to drag shoe a couple times. Definitely a wheel capable of medium sweep turns at pretty good speeds. Its much more solid in 25mph turns than my 18L, tho it also takes a bit more effort. I tried airing the tire to give me easier lean and better accelleration, but i quickly crossed over into too harsh to suck up the bumps. Im a lover of letting a tire do a lot of the work. Im only 130lbs, but im also very tall, which somewhat helps my leans get more authority. Example.. I can do a corner at 25mph on the 18l and keep my knees tucked into the RollNZ cover. Same turn on a sherman and I need move a knee out just a little to help. The best part of the sherman.... it is even capable of doing a 40mph turn, if i am! I wanna learn the limits of the pedal height and angle so I can habitually scrape pedals in hi speeds turns. Add some spark plates...  mmm fun fun.

I'm sure the chickway hex pedals add a bit of an angle so you might have more lean clearance in that regard

• Like 2