Learning to Ride on a Gotway RS HS

Simply_Striking

On 10/25/2020 at 5:55 PM, Simply_Striking said:

Today will be day 2, and I hopefully will become competent enough to take on some sidewalks. Hopefully the skywater will stop and dry up to give me a chance....

Make sure you know how to brake instead of (slight) panic. Otherwise it's "Oh shit... hmm... what now? I really wish I knew how to stop..." when a sudden obstacle appears, and your shins will pay the price (you'll try to stop the wheel with our leg after you jump off, at least that's happened to me).

On 10/25/2020 at 5:55 PM, Simply_Striking said:

It is starting to get fun :D

It will only get better. Though learning is great fun, too.

You are doing very well for the time you've been at it, much better than me. Getting up and going is the hardest part and you've done that already. It only gets easier now, and it sounds like it will get easy for you pretty quickly. Just don't leave your quiet practice areas until you mastered directional control, stopping where and when you want to, and can free mount reliably (doesn't have to be pretty ... just reliable).

Congrats ... lots and lots of fun are not that far away. :cheers:

2 hours ago, Scottie said:

Getting up and going is the hardest part and you've done that already. It only gets easier now, and it sounds like it will get easy for you pretty quickly. Just don't leave your quiet practice areas until you mastered directional control, stopping where and when you want to, and can free mount reliably (doesn't have to be pretty ... just reliable).

Yea for sure, will stick to the empty side of the park, just looking at cars and people on bicycles go by make me nervous, if they get close I hop off and move out of the way.

Got to say I am loving this wheel so far. I have put 100+ miles on her already and starting to feel confident maybe too confident, so i Have decided to dial it back a bit. I am starting to prioritize practicing braking quickly, mounting more efficiently, and also maneuvering at slower speeds.
Going at speeds 15+ mph seems a bit easy now, and I can almost do it without much effort, the other things not soo much. My full face helmet an knee guards are also not on hand as yet, so going slower is essential at the moment. I am still to nervous to cross intersections on it. Just a little side note, I rode my one wheel yesterday, and other than the riding style difference, one thing that stood out to me was I pay less attention to the terrain on the EUC compared to the XR.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I did the same thing you did.  Bought a big honking EUC expecting to get out and ride the first day no problem.  AAANNHH!  Wrong.  Took me three days to do what seemingly took you about a day.  Albeit, I only practiced for about an hour on the first two days.  The third day I put on a few layer of socks for the pain in my ankles and shins.  Helped a lot.   Went from clutch walls, to doing left hand circles, right hand circles, figure 8's and then out onto the low traffic residential streets.

This Gotway RS T is heavy, that's for sure, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  I'm pretty sure, if I had went smaller, i'd be wanting to upgrade within a month.  Plus I'm coming from the electric scooter side of PEV's.    My Turbowheel Phaeton (Zero 11x) is 131lbs.  I really don't like trying to move that one around.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DPowell said:

I did the same thing you did.  Bought a big honking EUC expecting to get out and ride the first day no problem.  AAANNHH!  Wrong.  Took me three days to do what seemingly took you about a day.  Albeit, I only practiced for about an hour on the first two days.  The third day I put on a few layer of socks for the pain in my ankles and shins.  Helped a lot.   Went from clutch walls, to doing left hand circles, right hand circles, figure 8's and then out onto the low traffic residential streets.

This Gotway RS T is heavy, that's for sure, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  I'm pretty sure, if I had went smaller, i'd be wanting to upgrade within a month.  Plus I'm coming from the electric scooter side of PEV's.    My Turbowheel Phaeton (Zero 11x) is 131lbs.  I really don't like trying to move that one around.

You will get it I promise, just stick to it. A am doing reasonably okay now I feel a lot more comfortable on it. Keep at it, you will get there. I have no regrets getting this thing, it is a blast. I have already put 800 miles on mine.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2020 at 10:50 AM, DPowell said:

Well I started with what I considered a midsized EUC aka the Tesla in October coming from the Onewheel... loved it so much I did buy the RS-HS... and I found I love the differences in the sizes so much that now I have a mten3 on order!  I’m addicted!  I like the variety. Just saying. ;-) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gPhotoMan said:

Well I started with what I considered a midsized EUC aka the Tesla in October coming from the Onewheel... loved it so much I did buy the RS-HS... and I found I love the differences in the sizes so much that now I have a mten3 on order!  I’m addicted!  I like the variety. Just saying. ;-) 

Ha ha, I am also considering ordering and Mten3, I like it because I can put it in my backpack and sneak it aboard my local busses. I want to sell my xr for this purchase, but I have a soft spot for for it.

On 1/5/2021 at 4:24 PM, Simply_Striking said:

Ha ha, I am also considering ordering and Mten3, I like it because I can put it in my backpack and sneak it aboard my local busses. I want to sell my xr for this purchase, but I have a soft spot for for it.

Yep I sold my OneWheel Plus!