INFO NEEDED: Legal speed limit in your country / area

Seba

Hi,

I need to compile & maintain database of legal speed limits that are in effect (or are not enforced) in countries around the world. So I kindly ask you to post following information:

• in what country do you live?
  • are EUCs legal in your country in general?
  • if yes, is there a speed limit in your country that is imposed on EUCs? If yes, please specify speed this limit.
  • if not, is the ban on using EUC effectively enforced by the authorities in your country? How would you rate efectiveness of enforcing the ban (0: not enforced at all, 10: enforced in a way that makes EUC riding impossible) ?

This database will be used by EUC World to automatically determine right legal speed limit. This will be used by "Enforce regulatory compliance" feature, but also will support rider as an advisory information displayed in the app.

EDIT: By "legal speed limit" I mean speed limit that has to be applied to EUC, not the speed limit that has to be obeyed on certain areas/cities. For example state regulation require EUC to be speed-limited at 25 km/h, but on certain areas you've to limit ride speed to 12 km/h.

Edited by Seba
  • Like 2

There was a shared google docs with much of this info in case some countries are missing.

- France

- Yes legal

- 25km/h

Nice initiative, thanks for your effort for the community.

Edited by null

11 minutes ago, /Dev/Null said:

I think in the USA it will tie down to city or county.  With that being said, I don't know where any EUC is explicitly legal, but at the same time, I've never seen a speed limit enforced either.

I know that in US a statewide regulations exists, but it's important to differentiate between legal speed limit and limit imposed on an EUC.So while you're required to limit your riding speed to e.g. 12 km/h, you can still have your EUC capped at 25 km/h.

-Germany

-no, not legal: I would say it is enforced on around level 9: depends on the officer, but they are able to confiscate the wheel. You should only ride far away from open roads, for example in the woods.

-Riding is not forbidden explicitely, but there is no law that allows it - that is why it is illegal.

-On pavement You may only go 6 kph, but the wheel must not be able to go faster, so limiting it via the app does not make it legally.

• Washington State, USA.

We have no federal regulations/laws that I've heard of, but state, county and local laws apply—and are wildly different from place to place so I don't think you can advise much other than "obey posted signs".

- North Carolina, USA

- Federal Law: unknown

- North Carolina State Law: (the closest law we have describes a Segway, so technically I think EUC use may be a gray area):

• § 20-175.6. Electric personal assistive mobility devices.
  • (c) Use of Device. – An electric personal assistive mobility device may be operated on public highways with posted speeds of 25 miles per hour or less, sidewalks, and bicycle paths. A person operating an electric personal assistive mobility device on a sidewalk, roadway, or bicycle path shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and other human-powered devices. A person operating an electric personal assistive mobility device shall have all rights and duties of a pedestrian, including the rights and duties set forth in Part 11 of this Article.
  • An electric personal assistive mobility devices is considered to be: 
    • A self-balancing nontandem two-wheeled device.
    • Designed to transport one person.
    • With a propulsion system that limits the maximum speed of the device to 15 miles per hour or less.

- North Carolina Municipal Law: 

• (d) Municipal Regulation. – For the purpose of assuring the safety of persons using highways and sidewalks, municipalities having jurisdiction over public streets, sidewalks, alleys, bridges, and other ways of public passage may by ordinance regulate the time, place, and manner of the operation of electric personal assistive mobility devices, but shall not prohibit their use. (2002-98, s. 5; 2016-90, s. 13(d).)

- North Carolina site-specific rules:

• Some places like outdoor malls, privately owned gardens, and college campuses just outright ban all non-human-powered vehicles, unless operated by authorities.
  • Like 2

On 10/24/2020 at 2:52 PM, Seba said:

Hi,

I need to compile & maintain database of legal speed limits that are in effect (or are not enforced) in countries around the world. So I kindly ask you to post following information:

• in what country do you live?
  • are EUCs legal in your country in general?
  • if yes, is there a speed limit in your country that is imposed on EUCs? If yes, please specify speed this limit.
  • if not, is the ban on using EUC effectively enforced by the authorities in your country? How would you rate efectiveness of enforcing the ban (0: not enforced at all, 10: enforced in a way that makes EUC riding impossible) ?

This database will be used by EUC World to automatically determine right legal speed limit. This will be used by "Enforce regulatory compliance" feature, but also will support rider as an advisory information displayed in the app.

EDIT: By "legal speed limit" I mean speed limit that has to be applied to EUC, not the speed limit that has to be obeyed on certain areas/cities. For example state regulation require EUC to be speed-limited at 25 km/h, but on certain areas you've to limit ride speed to 12 km/h.

In Sweden it is regarded by law, as a bicycle. 20km/h as a electrical assisted bike and Segway type vehicle, self balancing. A bicycle should not be on the road if the road speed is more than 50km/h. The rules are rewritten many, many times the last year and it is still in a limbo. Basically, I would interpret this to, 20kph and not on the main faster roads. However the police would not act if it is not looking dangerous, or reckless driving as for now. If Im off here, please Swedish riders correct me on this. :)

Hi @Seba,

I know that in the past there was an google sheet that was maintained on speed limits (I forgot who it was from, sorry):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xgCTmNf7e2NzRWzMMsX19YQW9pGEMtPJM3KXfz19DZg/edit#gid=0

Edited by Meulebeest
  • Like 1

To illustrate how confusing the law is in Washington State, this definition was revised specifically to include self balancing one wheeled devices because when they were NOT classified under this definition they were unregulated (that’s the note at the bottom, it explains the reason the definition was revised in 2015). It’s interesting that the definition stops at a device with a max speed of 20mph and only includes those with a motor with 2kW average power. So in the opinion of this non lawyer, something that goes faster than 20mph or has a larger or smaller motor is not an EPAMD and thus is unregulated and is free to travel as it wishes.

RCW  46.04.1695

Electric personal assistive mobility device (EPAMD).

"Electric personal assistive mobility device" (EPAMD) means (1) a self-balancing device with two wheels not in tandem, designed to transport only one person by an electric propulsion system with an average power of seven hundred fifty watts (one horsepower) having a maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a propulsion system while ridden by an operator weighing one hundred seventy pounds, of less than twenty miles per hour or (2) a self-balancing device with one wheel designed to transport only one person by an electric propulsion system with an average power of two thousand watts (two and two-thirds horsepower) having a maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a propulsion system, of less than twenty miles per hour.

NOTES:

Finding2015 c 145: "The legislature finds that at least two companies in Washington have developed a one-wheeled device for people to use to travel from place to place. These devices are unregulated and can travel wherever and however they like. By adding these devices to the definition of an electric personal assistive mobility device, they become regulated and local communities can determine locations that are appropriate for their use." [ 2015 c 145 § 1.]
Edited by Tawpie
Wordsmithing and speeling

Hello @Seba,

Is the "street legal"feature getting incorporated in EUC World ? Any idea on timing ?

And with the push of a toggle button :-) ?

Maybe let the community maintain a sheet for you, which you sync (manually) every (minor) release ?

• 4 weeks later...

Spain,

25kmh 

Next year Grey starts to be black with a real law. So we will miss this freedom with all the problems we sufferd in that grey área. 

Its shameless that we are lamp in the same law as a xiaomi m365 or a hoverboard. 

And the problem comes from EU.