Pico Tuto series Single leg riding 1/3

pico

3 minutes ago, stephen said:

It hurts my knee to much so I give up

It did to me too, in the beginning.

You have to give the time to the body to adapt. Skip one or two days, then do it again. You will build muscles in the foot it self and in the leg and knee.

Eventually it will become effortless... The last P, patience.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Surfling said:

@pico  is it harder to do on the mten3? 

For me it is. 

In essence single leg riding is like stepping on the wheel but MUCH longer. The Mten IS a hard wheel to step on compared to say a V10F. So yes it is hard to single leg ride on. Amazingly for counter pedal riding it is easier than some.

For me the Mten3 requires an extra 3" lean over the center line of the wheel making it difficult to stay very long unlike my other wheels.

Therefore I have to make some special mod to my normal stance. In short, pointing my toes inward and forward my shin contact point. I hope you visualize:huh:

All in all it is also a matter of morphology. Skinny guys like me will have a hard time while big boned fellows will have it easier. It also depends on if you are bow legged  () or  )( like my GF.

In case you have not noticed in my Mten videos the sides are extra padded. ^_^

• Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 7:35 AM, stephen said:

It hurts my knee to much so I give up , I can ride on one leg but it just presses to hard,, I should try lean over to balance more, any suggestions 

Same thing here. It wasnt my muscle failiing me, as much as a pretty mean sharp pain in the joint. The smaller wheels are worse as the leverage seems much less. Mten is more an ankle chore than knee. I notice my weak side has this same issue in hi speed cornering on my heavy wheel. I'd imagine a buckling in the knee at speed in a turn, would upset the ride enough to crash my ass off the mountain.  Delicate balance to build muscle around a knee, but NOT aggravate the joint first. Sometimes just regular mounting a wheel is too much on one side.

I bet Pico can jumplike a damn frog too.  I admire the fitness it takes for pico and others to do things like this. I could only imagine how much a swift kick to the ass would hurt, given by those with REAL legs.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

@pico Got it. I can see why, now.

mten3 being small with less vertical contact on the shins. And not much counter weight at 20 lbs.

The knee is really just surrounded by connective tissues + knee cap. You can palpate & feel the bones - not much cushioning there. I think the pain is from the counter pressure we apply on the EUC especially if repetitive.

When I was learning, I found that my mtb hard-shell knee/shin guards (lizard skinz softcell) almost eliminates knee/shin discomfort and highly recommend it especially for crash protection.

Thanks for the write-up, fellas. Safe riding!

Edited by Surfling
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
"How single leg riding saved my face and shoulder."

I am rewriting here the response to a comment on my YouTube tuto on single leg ridding.

Since I think this is more or less an accident that happened to two of our members on the  forum, and they broke their shoulders. I will rewrite my story here.

Beware of optical illusions!
I was happily cruising in the car lane and decided to join momentarily the bike lane. We are talking about a long stretch of parallel lines.

As EUC riders we are used to watch as far ahead as we can to scan for anomalies.
At the very last second I realised that the transition was not a smooth one but a solid 4 inch curb that I was going to cross at the worst possible angle, that is parallel to the curb! To make matters worse the road was convex pulling me toward the curb. Too late to jump, too committed to change direction.

My instantaneous reaction was to single leg ride the wheel and use the opposite leg to gently push off the curb, while at the same time braking. It was not pretty to look at, but the job was done, saving the day...
Edited by pico
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Woohoo, I managed to ride one legged for quite a while on the ole 18L. Nothing teaches you like neccessity. Skateboard start and was moving REALLY fast by the time I went o put my second foot on the wheel. What.... the pedal is folded up? Before I realized it, I was riding straight line with one leg and it really wasnt that tough. A little hard on the knee (my good leg), but I think its FEAR that stops us, more than difficulty. I mean hell, if my dumb ass can do it, it must be pretty damn simple, right? Im not claiming to be any good at it, but I can claim its possible, even for a hack like me! Thanks for the inspiration @pico!

I wholly agree about the optical illussion. Same thing happens to me regularly. I ride on asphalt a lot and the texture makes it hard to discerne grooves and pot holes. As speeds increase and I look further ahead, those irregularities in the pebbled asphalt, become nearly invisible. So many times I've seen what appeared to be basic asphalt and when I hit that spot at 40mph into the wind, I damn near fall off the front. Limbs and trash and cars are so much easier to spot. Its almost like a deadly game of 'where's waldo'. Yeah, im in it for the rush and aint it just grand!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Great video @picothanks :)

I'm kinda trying to improve my one legged technique mainly for practical reasons rather than showiness, I find it helps if I want to just bend my knee or reposition my feet on longer rides for comfort reasons.

So far I've been doing it by just not putting my second leg on the wheel after starting of, I've found gradually its fairly easy to extend the distance I can cover but I'm not confident about steering properly one legged.

I did wonder though if doing it regularly can damage the EUC - I'd have thought all the rider weight on one leg would double the downward force on oneside and risk damaging the bearings etc

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

I did wonder though if doing it regularly can damage the EUC - I'd have thought all the rider weight on one leg would double the downward force on oneside and risk damaging the bearings etc

Yes, there is definitely a concern for heavier riders. To make it worse most EUC strength is not symmetrical. This is due to the inherent construction of the type of brushless motor that are used in EUC's  This is the shape of the motor  --]--

The Mten3 is the worse for this.

So far at my meager 170lbs I had no problem on any of the V5,V8F,V10F series.

Keep in mind that the worse culprits are SUDDEN shocks that can significantly increase the G loading on the axles and bearings.

I think that jumping is WAY worse on the EUC than single leg riding.

The are at least four elements to steering. It would take a book to explain.

They key ones: The knee, the arms, the free leg position (like the beavers!), the twist of the body.

Keep on the effort, be consistent and patient to let the brain figure out what to do and you will be soon a seasoned one leg rider! Cheers!

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Not a tutorial but some interesting single leg riding...

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...