Gotway EX - Reverse Engineering the Suspension

1 hour ago, EMA said:

more robust

When comparing the actual suspension/shock unit of each of the 3 suspension wheels, I would not consider GotWay's unit to be "more robust" at all!  In the EcoDrift teardown review, that you yourself linked to, you must have totally overlooked the following statements:

1. "The stroke of the spring is very far from ideal. Somewhere moves easier, somewhere heavier. There are a lot of foreign sounds when working. Let's just say I'm a little surprised."

2. "In the center of the engine you can see the shock and the body of the damper. From here you can see that it's also some kind of homemade thing."

3. "The shock, on which the mechanism moves is not anodized, is not chrome and is not polished at all."

4. "Damper runs on the rebound. But, with a complete compression, it creates a reverse effort and the shock springs back a little. When you work you can hear foreign sounds, the move to compression I would not call free. Perhaps this damper is designed to add a little more progression at compression. It's hard for me to say."

5. "In the collected form on shocks it works just awful. Lufts, foreign sounds, heavy snagging. I really wanted to get a damper and throw it away."

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

as said, it's my guess ;) i don't think a wheel need a super complex suspension

it's not perfect, and not super quality for sure (i think no one expect that from a wheel in general) but i don't see anything better from the other wheels (for sure not from ks)

Edited by EMA

4 hours ago, Rawnei said:

What servicing is that?

All 4 chambers need to be topped off a couple times per week and I tighten all of the exterior bolts (shell, pedals, shock,etc.) once a week (V11).

Edited by gon2fast

6 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

All 4 chambers need to be topped off a couple times per week and I tighten all of the exterior bolts (shell, pedals, shock,etc.) once a week.

First I hear of it, doesn't sound normal, have you asked Inmotion about it on Telegram?

The thing that worries me is that the Gotway suspension configuration doesn’t look like any of the suspension setup I have seen on motorcycle and mountain bikes. Not that those are perfect but they have gone through enough iterations so that they are pretty refined.

Some of the immediate problem I can see are the limitation on the size of the air piston and the complexity of the linkage required. I also wonder how durable that super high pressure piston will be, I mean if this is a viable engineering design why hasn’t any of the other shock manufacturer adopt something similar for their product since it significantly reduce the size of the actual shock? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rawnei said:

First I hear of it, doesn't sound normal, have you asked Inmotion about it on Telegram?

It is a mid/low quality air shock coupled with a larger rider... there will be seepage, lol. Things get loose with vibration so I tighten up my bolts weekly. Nothing out of the normal IMHO. Seems like the EX will require less maintenance with the shock as compared to the V11.

Two tiny air springs 60 mm stroke, with no reverse chambers, no rebound, located in such way that they will get wet and dirty during the ride... this does not look good all together... 

• Like 3

"It turns out that we have a high torque (HT) version of the Begode EX"

Is Ecodrift hinting that there will be a high speed version of the EX down the line? Doubt it, but that would be great as it would give Begode a chance to clean up this mess, lol.

On 10/22/2020 at 11:18 AM, Asphalt said:

@Hsiang Would you mind measuring the diameter of the air shock tube in the pedal hanger?

<very rough calculations>

If it's 0.5-inch, the surface area of the piston head would be roughly .375 square inches. At 1200 PSI, that should support 450 lbs.

Adding both sides that would be 900 lbs support.

</very rough calculations>

This leads me to suspect that there may be some internal spring that is preloaded by the air pressure?

its 3/4" inch outside diameter, the only thing holding the shock is pressure when its fully extended, so if you ever clip this piece it wouldn't take much for it to twist and get damaged.

20201025_223442.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 9:57 AM, gon2fast said:

All 4 chambers need to be topped off a couple times per week and I tighten all of the exterior bolts (shell, pedals, shock,etc.) once a week (V11).

Might be running the pressures to low or maybe to high, after over 200km my upper chamber lost nearly no air and my bottom chamber had dropped only from 145ish to 135ish . And thats with lots of offroad rough riding and a 200lb rider

Edited by GoGeorgeGo

13 hours ago, Hsiang said:

its 3/4" inch outside diameter, the only thing holding the shock is pressure when its fully extended, so if you ever clip this piece it wouldn't take much for it to twist and get damaged.

I wonder why Begode didn't flip the design upside-down and have the "foot" inside the shell?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm yeah, after having just watch Ecodrift's youtube i was wondering the same, they could've just raise the so called absorber then it will be completely inside the shell.

2.jpg.f80a922e4dcb5ea1ad0603b7d8528103.jpg            1.jpg.55a7fdaf91701af2205497b006543ee8.jpg   

OP photo for ref                                                                                                           Raise absorber

12 minutes ago, yuweng said:

Hmm yeah, after having just watch Ecodrift's youtube i was wondering the same, they could've just raise the so called absorber then it will be completely inside the shell.

2.jpg.f80a922e4dcb5ea1ad0603b7d8528103.jpg            1.jpg.55a7fdaf91701af2205497b006543ee8.jpg   

OP photo for ref                                                                                                           Raise absorber

But if they had done that from the beginning they couldn't sell a new version of the EX 3 months down the line with that absorber raised duuh :roflmao:

• Like 1