Gotway EX - Reverse Engineering the Suspension

3 minutes ago, Hsiang said:

I should have it in another two three or days from EVX, and plan to open it up to poke around also, what is it that you like to know?

The thing that weird me out is the extreme high pressure the shock is pressure at; 1200 PSI seems extreme.

Thanks, looking forward to your review!

It'd be great to know if there are any dampening systems, apart from the rubber pads glued to the top and bottom of the central block - I'm hoping there's something interesting happening inside the pedal hanger column.

There's also a large vertical column in the middle of the central block. My guess is that this is just being used as a support structure, but I'm curious if there's any spring/dampening happening there too.

Yeah, 1200 PSI seems like a lot - by an order of magnitude. The solid block of pedal hanger metal should be strong enough to hold it, but I wonder how they're sealing it? Do Rubber O-rings work at that pressure?

@Hsiang Would you mind measuring the diameter of the air shock tube in the pedal hanger?

<very rough calculations>

If it's 0.5-inch, the surface area of the piston head would be roughly .375 square inches. At 1200 PSI, that should support 450 lbs.

Adding both sides that would be 900 lbs support.

</very rough calculations>

This leads me to suspect that there may be some internal spring that is preloaded by the air pressure?

52 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

The EX is fascinating but I worry about the low hanging suspension tubes and the machined block that ties the assembly together.

i never hit this part of any wheel i had...did you ever hit here  ? i know it's not the exactly the same but pretty accurate :D

photo_2020-07-24_10-23-23.jpg

1 hour ago, Asphalt said:

it's a pretty innovated design

to me is really good, integrated, protected, simple 

the first review remarks how easy is to setup and how well it works straight out of the box

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EMA said:

i never hit this part of any wheel i had...did you ever hit here  ? i know it's not the exactly the same but pretty accurate :D

photo_2020-07-24_10-23-23.jpg

Yes branches and rocks on rough trails. I’m sure it will be fine but the low hanging structure just looks ominous to me. 

Edited by Rehab1

1 hour ago, EMA said:

to me is really good, integrated, protected, simple 

the first review remarks how easy is to setup and how well it works straight out of the box

i definitely think it’s smart to keep it simple. one thing that seems annoying about the V11 is having to take the saddle off to fill those top chambers. 

34 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

Not very impressive.  

The shock assembly looks sturdy and well engineered but being an experimental design I’ll be interested to see how it performs long term. 

50518289542_27a027b271_b.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

The shock assembly looks sturdy and well engineered but being an experimental design I’ll be interested to see how it performs long term. 

50518289542_27a027b271_b.jpg

interesting, same bolt pattern as the V11 pedal hangers, but flipped. If the brace in the EX can be flipped then one could install V11 pedals on a EX.

Edit - Nope - false statement on my part, similar design, but the spacing is tighter on the GW/Begode. 

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gon2fast said:

interesting, same bolt pattern as the V11 pedal hangers, but flipped. If the brace in the EX can be flipped then one could install V11 pedals on a EX.

Edit - Nope - false statement on my part, similar design, but the spacing is tighter on the GW/Begode. 

So am I correct to think that there’s an additional central air piston that act as a rebound damper?

13 minutes ago, Kurtosis said:

I though the EX was fully suspended - batteries, rider, control board, etc, and that only motor+wheel were not suspended. Is this incorrect?

Correct.  however the un-suspended part weights 20 kg - but this is 3.6 kW motor - huge bearings, a lot of thick metal stuff in suspension - so the rest - batteries, board, chassis - weights around 19 kg - this wheel is almost 39kg!

1 hour ago, Hsiang said:

So am I correct to think that there’s an additional central air piston that act as a rebound damper?

I think It damp the suspension at the end making it "more progressive" .

interesting design btw

5 hours ago, gon2fast said:

I hope this design will eliminate the constant servicing that I am having to do with my current suspension wheel. 

What servicing is that?

i think all suspension wheel will need some maintenance compared to the "almost none" needed by standard wheels.

To me the gw design seems more robust and protected compared to the other, but it's my guess, until we don't put some km on that thing we don't really know

• Like 2