• 2 weeks later...

According to this reddit thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/ElectricUnicycle/comments/j0s3nj/updated_shipping_timing_from_ewheels_on_batch_3/),

3rd batch isn't available yet.

It seems that KingSong is trying to address the widely observed problems in bath #1 and #2. 

I couldn't find any definite timeline on when the 3rd batch of S18's will arrive. 

I imagine that it won't be available until December, if not 2021 Q1.

This is encouraging news for batch #3 buyers, so let's all be hope for the best :)

32 minutes ago, Sungsup Lee said:

According to this reddit thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/ElectricUnicycle/comments/j0s3nj/updated_shipping_timing_from_ewheels_on_batch_3/),

I imagine that it won't be available until December, if not 2021 Q1.

This is encouraging news for batch #3 buyers, so let's all be hope for the best :)

It literally says mid-November in that email.

Nobody has seen a batch 3 yet, so it's impossible to answer this question.

Practically speaking, since there were zero notable/significant improvements between batch 1 & 2, then for all intents and purposes batch 3 is really like a batch 2 (their first attempt at fixes, and it's unlikely everything will be resolved in a single revision), and batch 4 will really be more like a proper batch 3.

Edited by AtlasP
5 hours ago, AtlasP said:

Practically speaking, since there were zero notable/significant improvements between batch 1 & 2, then for all intents and purposes batch 3 is really like a batch 2

Batch 1 and 2 are the same. Ewheels batch 1 shipped by air and batch 2 followed 3-4 weeks later by ship, Batch 3, when it arrives, will incorporate the suspension improvements. 

Edited by Rehab1

I thought long and hard before I got the Inmotion V11, now I want the Kingsong S18 also (always hungry for more off roading in the local forrests here) Ive read somewhere that Kingsong 16x which is a great wheel in the beginning had quite a lot of errors, error that were corrected later. 

So many nice new wheels this year.  Ill stay with suspension wheels from now on, except the little Mten3 off course.  

Got an update a week ago from my S18 retailer regarding batch #3:

Good afternoon, 

There's some positive developments on the S18s; they've finally been shipped out from factory, with the modifications & improvements:
- Sturdier rear fenders
- Improved suspension arm bearings & washers
- New design of the battery base, eliminating the need for the metal block for gaining access to the shock chambers 
- Closer attention to the motor alignment installation
- A more thorough QC process before shipping 

These are scheduled to set sail in 3 days, with another 2.5 weeks voyage across the Pacific, & another 7 days for port processing at LA. 

Once the container lands & clears Customs, we'll be reaching out with a link to pay the remaining deposit & better shipping ETA. 

Thank you for your patience with this long delayed product release; with the bugs worked out, it should be worth the wait. 

Have a good evening, 

The eWheels Team 

I'll be happy if i get my S18 before 2020 ends.

1 hour ago, Sungsup Lee said:

These are scheduled to set sail in 3 days, with another 2.5 weeks voyage across the Pacific, & another 7 days for port processing at LA. 

Did Ewheels offer the option of air shipping for batch 3?

There's some positive developments on the S18s; they've finally been shipped out from factory, with the modifications & improvements:
- Sturdier rear fenders

Wonder if KS means that the mudguard was improved. If the fender is sturdier it might prove difficult to remove. 

I'll be happy if i get my S18 before 2020 ends.

With the improvements it will be worth the wait!

On 11/11/2020 at 4:26 PM, Rehab1 said:

Wonder if KS means that the mudguard was improved. If the fender is sturdier it might prove difficult to remove. 

I'm guessing that's about this?
S18MG.png.37e7ab63b2defba2672a9b67388ed546.png
Curious to see how it holds up with that extra bit of reinforcement.

Otherwise, I wonder what they mean by "New design of the battery base, eliminating the need for the metal block for gaining access to the shock chambers." I've seen the newer pedal hangers(battery base?) that don't have the metal block anymore, but that wasn't for gaining access to the shock chambers. Maybe some miscommunication going on with this item.

On 11/12/2020 at 11:10 PM, redfoxdude said:

Otherwise, I wonder what they mean by "New design of the battery base, eliminating the need for the metal block for gaining access to the shock chambers." I've seen the newer pedal hangers(battery base?) that don't have the metal block anymore, but that wasn't for gaining access to the shock chambers. Maybe some miscommunication going on with this item.

Check out Duf's video about setting up the suspension on the S18... you had to preload the suspension and stick a metal block in there to prevent the suspension from unloading.  Then after filling you had to load up the suspension again to get the block out.  It looked like a royal PITA.  Glad they are fixing it.

12 minutes ago, Stillhart said:

Check out Duf's video about setting up the suspension on the S18... you had to preload the suspension and stick a metal block in there to prevent the suspension from unloading.  Then after filling you had to load up the suspension again to get the block out.  It looked like a royal PITA.  Glad they are fixing it.

Yes, that block is plastic, so that is probably why I'm confused. Maybe they added some sort of integrated thing so you can't lose it? I'd be curious to see what it looks like. Maybe I'll have to ask eWheels for a set of the new parts! 🙂

2 minutes ago, redfoxdude said:

Yes, that block is plastic, so that is probably why I'm confused. Maybe they added some sort of integrated thing so you can't lose it? I'd be curious to see what it looks like. Maybe I'll have to ask eWheels for a set of the new parts! 🙂

Oh I gotcha, I could be wrong then.  Guess we'll see in a few weeks.

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2020 at 2:10 AM, redfoxdude said:

I'm guessing that's about this?
S18MG.png.37e7ab63b2defba2672a9b67388ed546.png
Curious to see how it holds up with that extra bit of reinforcement.

I bought the new "reinforced" mudguard but doubt that it will hold so I reinforced it by copying @Rehab1

Screenshot_20210107-234408~2.png

Having now read about King Song’s app that apparently sucks up personal data (Chinese government demand?) and exposes buyers to the risk of their wheels being bricked if King Song decides to do so, added to the obvious quality control / cost cutting issues of the S18, I’m having second thoughts about buying this wheel.

I am dismayed by videos that show peopple delightedly jumping off curbs—and their suspension not moving at all—almost as much as seeing that early reviewers were given wheels unlike those available to the rest of us (No big washer).

Can I avoid the King Song app completely if I buy an S18? Will EUCWorld allow me to have full functionality, or will I still have to register the S18 with King Song and accept their firmware updates?

Any recent word from Jack King Song or anybody else about about whether the company is really trying to fix production problems this wheel? No missing bearings or misdrilled holes? Knowledgeable people who have this wheel: fbhb, Rehab1, Finn; would you buy this wheel today knowing what you know?

I know the latest batch that hit US shores about a month ago SUPPOSEDLY fixes a lot of issues with the first batch.  However, I haven't seen almost anyone talking about it to confirm whether that's the case or not.  I really want an S18 but I don't want a shitty half-assed one.  I'm hoping some brave soul will speak up about the latest batch at some point here...

2 hours ago, Yellowjacket said:

Knowledgeable people who have this wheel: fbhb, Rehab1, Finn; would you buy this wheel today knowing what you know?

My decision to go ahead and buy this wheel was made knowing Full Well what I was getting into and what I would need to do to put things right!  Granted, we should not have to go to these extremes to make a Brand New wheel fit for purpose or open up a New wheel at all, but that also seems to be the case with several of 2020's New offerings unfortunately! 

I had followed All the online media, reviews, videos etc. so was right up to speed with All the issues, while I awaited my pre-order S18 to finally arrive in New Zealand.  Now once it reached theses shores, given the widespread concern over the poor production line performance, I was given the option to take a "hard pass" on going ahead with the purchase by my seller but decided to go ahead and rectify All the issues myself.  

Fortunately for me, having an engineering background made it a straightforward task, albeit very time consuming but I actually really enjoyed the process and was also very happy to document it here to try and help others!  I got a huge sense of achievement in completely re-building and improving my S18, as well as getting to see first hand just how well the wheel is designed, from an engineering point of view, so was obviously saddened that King Song did not follow through with the much needed attention to detail!

What I can say now that I have over 2,000kms on mine is that the wheel, when set up correctly and fitted with a proper tyre, is very hard to beat for it's intended design purpose.  It is very nimble and handles like a much lighter, smaller wheel plus the suspension is Now working to it's potential making for a very smooth and compliant ride.  I have really been enjoying getting to grips with the S18 and have a lot more planned for it's use and some potential upgrades!

In the meantime, a favourite online resource of mine, EcoDrift have released two articles that give some much clearer incite into where the changes that King Song has made is actually up to currently (getting the latest information from King Song, or Any of the EUC manufacturers for that matter is next to impossible!).

Follow these Two links for improvements to the suspension alignment and the addition of bearing spacers (still using the "Big Flat washer" though for some reason) and the most recent S18 version to arrive into EcoDrift's stock for sale (has a different tyre), as they seem to be very happy with the improvements King Song have made thus far although there is maybe still a little way to go:

https://ecodrift.ru/2020/10/16/rabota-podveski-s-zavoda/

https://ecodrift.ru/2020/12/09/kingsong-s18-prednovogodnij-podarok/

Edited by fbhb
4 hours ago, Yellowjacket said:

Does EUCWorld app allow me to have full functionality and bypass King Sopng app? Do I have to accept King Song firmware updates?

I Have Not nor will I ever download and install the King Song app, due to it's intrusive nature with one's privacy and the fact that it is just Not reliable/stable enough at doing it's job!

EUC World is All that I needed to unlock my S18 from transport mode when it first arrived and update it to the current firmware, carrying out both tasks flawlessly I might add. 

EUC World will also allow you to revert from a firmware if you install one and then decide you do not like the changes offered, among All the other awesome features it provides plus some very cool New ones due in the upcoming release!

On 1/7/2021 at 11:50 PM, c5flybyu said:

I bought the new "reinforced" mudguard but doubt that it will hold so I reinforced it by copying @Rehab1

Screenshot_20210107-234408~2.png

Excellent work! :thumbup:

11 hours ago, Yellowjacket said:

Knowledgeable people who have this wheel: fbhb, Rehab1, Finn; would you buy this wheel today knowing what you know?

I’m flattered! Thanks!

I would certainly buy another S18 even if it came in pieces without an assembly manual.:)

50816278123_121ce5e407_b.jpg

2 hours ago, fbhb said:

EUC World will also allow you to revert from a firmware if you install one and then decide you do not like the changes offered, among All the other awesome features it provides plus some very cool New ones due in the upcoming release!

Excellent. Time to clear my work space — my InMotion V8 is soon to be lonely. Thank you again.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I would certainly buy another S18 even if it came in pieces without an assembly manual.:)

Yeah, but you're Rehab1. You could probably build a wheel out of an old wheelbarrow, a dead watch and two dozen paper clips. 

Edited by Yellowjacket
1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I’m flattered! Thanks!

You cleaned out bearing pockets with brush on your Dremel. Am I right that to function well, the bearings have to be press fit into those pockets? Is there danger of oversizing the pocket with the brush? Do you think KS might be using big flat washer and Loctite to keep the two pivot arms from coming apart if the bearings didn't remain pressed in place?

Am I right that to function well, the bearings have to be press fit into those pockets?

Most definitely! There should be a video on my KS 18 mod page. 

Is there danger of oversizing the pocket with the brush?

Not with a wire brush just as long as you’re careful to only apply enough pressure to remove the paint.

Do you think KS might be using big flat washer and Loctite to keep the two pivot arms from coming apart if the bearings didn't remain pressed in place?

No idea. I would love to spend a day with their engineers to gain a better understanding on their thought processes  behind many of the assembled components. 

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Most definitely! There should be a video on my KS 18 mod page. 

I saw the video where you pressed the bearings out with a vise. I'll go look for one on install. Thank you.