Looking to upgrade, performance and ergonomics are a must; is a Gotway Nikola the answer?

Awhile ago, I sold my tesla v2 and bought an mcm5, and that was the best decision regarding EUCs I ever made. While I sadly lost some top speed, I personally gained so much more in my sense of stability because of how differently the wheels are shaped. The tesla always felt like it was pushing my feet off the pedals to the side because of it's boxy shape. I feel the MCM5 is the perfect shape because it allows me to ride looser because the shell stays out of the way. I can't stand the "locked in" feeling; I'll grip the wheel when I need to of course, but generally I ride with a little space between the side of the shell and my legs.

The MCM5v2 might be as good as it gets currently, but I'm really hoping maybe not? Top speed for the mcm5 is 27 mph before the beeps on a full charge, looking for something that's comfortable cruising at 35mph+ to be worth the investment. 

Looking at some videos of the Nikola, it looks like the top thins out a bit, and the overall shape might be acceptable for my preferences. Can anyone confirm? I see some wheels like the MSP or RS and it looks just as boxy as the tesla was, but are they better in real life? Or do you think I should wait for more new wheels to come out down the road?

Thanks, I appreciate all opinions on the matter. 

Edited by Denny Paul
  • Like 1

The Nikola is just a wide wheel overall, even though it may taper slightly at the top. If you really enjoy the float feeling and are feeling brave, you can NOT install any side pads on the Nikola. Its shell is very smooth and the wheel is very heavy so you have to really understand the balance of the wheel to operate it with just your feet.

Also, at high speed with a heavy wheel and small diameter wheel, leg stability and a "locked-in" feel is very important. Of corse there is always some wheel wizard that can do the seemingly impossible, so the gyro-effect and wild ride of 40mph on a 16 inch wheel with no pads for grip may only SEEM impossible.

Edited by Michael Tucker
  • Like 1

The Nikola touched my legs more than the boxy 84V MSX. Nikola really is a wide wheel, and reaches much higher on your leg than the MSX. In that sense to me the Nikola is closest to the feeling of riding a motorcycle or a horse...

If the leg contract would be the only measure for you when buying an EUC, the Nikola should be one of the last ones on your list. But as it goes, any wheel is a sum of numerous features and measures, and the best wheel for you might just as well have the feature you thought you hated the most.

To be clear, the Nikola doesn’t feel at all like the Tesla. Tesla’s boxy body touches sharply at the low shin, Nikola touches smoothly at the upper shin/knee.

I would actually look into the MSX/MSP/RS series, and be sure to get it with Nikola pedals or at least the new wider GW pedals. While the shell is also boxy, I didn’t feel that it would push into my leg as much. And to me already the stock pads are also more functional than on the Tesla. Spare a little time to get sidepads that work to your benefit, and the low shell of the MSX/MSP/RS just might be your new favorite.

• Like 1

If you want the thin wheel feel, but similar torque to, and higher top speed than, the mcm5, maybe the KingSong 18XL is the way to go for you... just be sure it's not region locked to china :). Its battery life (before the 30% slowdown) will be fine if you're already happy with the MCM5.  It's got big pedals, and 2.5inch tires so you still get the manoeuvrability.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 4:38 PM, Denny Paul said:

Top speed for the mcm5 is 27 mph before the beeps on a full charge, looking for something that's comfortable cruising at 35mph+ to be worth the investment. 

The 18XL's is thin and comfortable but it's real top speed is under 30mph so that's out. The V11 is also thin and can be set to have a top speed of 35mph but that's only if the battery is > 80% so that's out. Any of the MSX style wheels will have the speed but I think they're all boxy and the pedals are renowned for locking you in. The Sherman has the speed and the pedals look fairly comfortable but the wheel itself is very boxy - it is a box with a handle on each end. That leaves the Nikola+ 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darrell Wesh said:

@Denny Paul I think you already know the 100v Nikola is the answer. 

Not ruling out the RS based off of what mrelwood said, but yeah if I didn’t like the tesla I have a feeling probably wouldn’t like the RS, though the specs sound pretty great. 

Tank grips (the motorcycle pads) with the nikola seems like the best option. I don’t think it’ll be too uncomfortable as I’m used to the mcm5 without any padding, just has some grip, and love it that way. I’ll keep an eye out on the used forums for a 2nd hand 100v nikola, hopefully a 21700 since they have lower center of gravity I hear. It may be awhile tho.

And when people start wanting to sell their RS’s maybe I’ll give em a shot too and see if they feel substantially better than the Tesla.

thanks for all the advice guys!

Edited by Denny Paul
  • Like 2

I came up with a unique solution for this issue. I bought a used 100v Nikola that had MSuper style pads already installed on it, the ones you can get off amazon. The thick pads on an already thick wheel made it so uncomfortable to ride, my knees would be bent outwards in a way that was hellish after a while. What I did was cut out the middle piece, exposing the plastic and leaving the thick front/back pieces to lean on for acceleration and breaking. Put some tape over the plastic to make it a little bit less slippery too. It made riding and going fast a DREAM, especially coupled with Murland's custom studded pedals and an H-666 tire.

Highly recommend the 100v Nikola on all fronts.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/14/2020 at 4:02 PM, AtlasP said:

Nikola is like riding with a pumpkin between your legs. If you want a narrow wheel, V11 or KS-18XL are your best bet.

Ergonomically speaking (at least for a skinny 6'3" size 10 shoe), I cant fathom getting much more comfy than the Ks18L/Xl series with rollNz cover. So many choices and little details to consider. However, I truly do think as for comfort and just plain simplicity, my 18L would be hard to beat. Unfortuantely, its a 27mph wheel. The sherm is wide on the legs. Its a smooth ride, but its not 'old recliner' comfy on the body. My buddy Sacritan has been riding the Nik and I do believe it has proven VERY worthy. I guess the REAL answer is the same as for most every euc question.... Just buy a bunch of wheels and then you can focus on riding and not specs :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Just got a Nikola 100v and yes, it is wide. Also have a Sherman, so I didn't think that would bother me too much. It actually reminds me a lot of the Sherman, but it's so much more nimble. I'm still adjusting to it, haven't found the right stance yet. Every time I start turning, applying pressure like I have to on the Sherman, I'm surprised by how much faster the wheel turns under me. I guess I'll learn to adjust, took me a while to get really comfortable on the Sherman as well. I would get cramps underneath my feet because they were so tense, LOL

I did use the pads that came with the Sherman, and they improved my stance quite a bit. It was a helpful reminder to bend my knees by the same amount on each side. So for the Nikola, I think pads will help as well. I've just ordered a pair of ClarkPads V2. I have great expectations, the middle part seems very thin so they shouldn't make the Nikola feel any wider than it is.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/6/2021 at 12:58 AM, Patrick Robert said:

Just got a Nikola 100v and yes, it is wide. Also have a Sherman, so I didn't think that would bother me too much. It actually reminds me a lot of the Sherman, but it's so much more nimble. I'm still adjusting to it, haven't found the right stance yet. Every time I start turning, applying pressure like I have to on the Sherman, I'm surprised by how much faster the wheel turns under me. I guess I'll learn to adjust, took me a while to get really comfortable on the Sherman as well. I would get cramps underneath my feet because they were so tense, LOL

I did use the pads that came with the Sherman, and they improved my stance quite a bit. It was a helpful reminder to bend my knees by the same amount on each side. So for the Nikola, I think pads will help as well. I've just ordered a pair of ClarkPads V2. I have great expectations, the middle part seems very thin so they shouldn't make the Nikola feel any wider than it is.

Can you give update how those CP work on your Nik.