Adjusting To New Wheel

Kurtosis

Just got my first real-ish ride today on my new KS-16S after having learned on an Mten3. Wow, very different experience. Slow-speed turns feel completely different and scary-ish, and pushing the weight around is definitely different too.

I wonder how long it will take to start to get used to this. I was riding the Mten3 within about 15-20 minutes, so I'm hoping my quick learning will transfer over quickly.

One thing I've really noticed is that there's a speed at which you wind up leaning more than the wheel for making turns (due to centripetal acceleration/centrifugal force), and that point is different for this wheel and it will take a while for that to get into my brain. Given that the wheel weighs a lot more, when it flops over more than I expect I freak out because I'm worried it's going to tip completely over.

• Like 3

I was just the opposite, I learned on a big wheel then added the Mten3 and man, what a different feeling all together, give it a few miles and you'll be sorted just fine, my 16x seemed to turn better by leaning the wheel where my MSP liked more hip input, the Mten turns by blinking almost so it's a different animal altogether.  My MCM5 felt like it was going to fall over at first, it has a 2.5" tire so maybe that's a characteristic of that tire size, it didn't but sure felt like it would at first, keep your speed up and look a little further ahead than what you are used to.

• Like 1

Even though the Mten3 is an Euc, I don't think many skills translate between it and other wheels, apart from basic balance. It is just to zippy compared to bigger wheels. Unless you are teaching a child how to ride you should not see the Mten3 as an entry into the Euc world IMO (if you plan on upgrading in the future). Much better off buying a cheap second hand V8 or something similar.

Of course you will adapt and get used to your new 16S ;)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Skecys said:

Even though the Mten3 is an Euc, I don't think many skills translate between it and other wheels, apart from basic balance. It is just to zippy compared to bigger wheels. Unless you are teaching a child how to ride you should not see the Mten3 as an entry into the Euc world IMO (if you plan on upgrading in the future). Much better off buying a cheap second hand V8 or something similar.

Of course you will adapt and get used to your new 16S ;)

I agree that the mten isnt specifically a 'new rider' wheel, but its also not the worst choice. I'd much rather see a newbiie on an mten than a Sherman or an s18! I found the skills translate pretty well. Aside from the initial few minutes of getting used to how much a dog a normal wheel feels in compare to the mten, its very similar. After a few hours of slow practice on the mten, I find that I can handle my larger wheels with more finesse. Learning to ride backwards on an mten, THEN on a larger wheel, made it much easier. Having a 16 and an mten makes a good pair and a fun day!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I was able to get riding on the Mten3 within about 15-20 minutes, which really surprised me as I had expected a week+ like in Duf's videos. I practiced on the Mten3 for a solid week or two and I found the skills translated pretty quickly to the 16S. The main thing that didn't really translate directly was the mechanics of slow-speed turning - the 16S requires more forward lean to prevent tipping and has a different point at which you switch from bracing with your outer leg to your inner leg. But I've been having a great time and felt like the Mten3 was a great stepping stone! :o)

• Like 1

It s a new wheel,its a new  learning experience and it rides differently.I put 3 k on the 16s  ,it was an extension of my body  and still, I  haven't mastered it.i could ride it well within 200ks but then u play with riding modes,ride on and off road, do tricks .Riding at speed and knowing limits is all part of the process. Get urself a roll.nz cover then u can really thrash it/dropit  and u wont damage the wheel in the learning process. Just bought a Sherman and I,m back to being a newbie and starting all over again. Just gotta keep practicing and not just riding!

One can also be held back a lot by the cost of the wheel I find. Once I got my wheel all padded up it was all good. First time I tried the new heavy wheel I hated it. 

Now I go back to the small one and overpower it right away. That "leaning in all the way" feeling is a lot of fun once you're used to it! (I.e. you're using your body to steer, not so much your feet)

• Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 6:24 AM, Skecys said:

Even though the Mten3 is an Euc, I don't think many skills translate between it and other wheels, apart from basic balance. ... Unless you are teaching a child how to ride you should not see the Mten3 as an entry into the Euc world IMO (if you plan on upgrading in the future). Much better off buying a cheap second hand V8 or something similar.

Agree 1000%.

A used V8/KS14/etc for ~$600-700 is a superior first wheel in every way compared to a new mten3 for $600. (Unless it's a used mten3 for under ~$350.)

• Like 1