Sherman or EX?

I pre-purchased a EX. The reviews so far have been (IMHO) lack luster. Starting to have regrets, lol.

Regardless, if you were given to opportunity to obtain a EX or Sherman, what direction would you go and why so? Thanks everyone!

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

Deposit is in on the Sherman (knobby).

All hope is lost for the current EX build. 

What was the final straw? I was also considering the EX. 
The down side to the Sherman for me is the roll bar blocking the front of the tire ( curbs) and the low pedals. I was also concerned about the MOSFIT size. Are they bigger now?

I'm a new rider, only 400 miles into my Kingsong 16x (love it), but already thinking of my next purchase; crazy how "obsessed" some of us riders are, but I'm 95% sold on the Sherman from everything Ive read and watched.

Only issue (other than price), is it's just so damn heavy. I don't plan to be lifting it around much, but I'll need to be able to get it in and out of my trunk frequently. And I thought my KS16x was already heavy!

With a lot of these newer wheels, especially the suspension ones, the clear trend we're all seeing is that the new standard high-performing wheel will be at LEAST 55 - 75 lbs.

My reason for a Sherman, is not necessarily speed, but the safety (potential cut-outs) and stability it seems to dominate all other EUC's on.

Anyone have knowledge on all the different versions / batches of the Sherman coming off the line though? As with a lot of new wheels, or products in general, this is what bugs me -- buying the product at the right time, to where it won't be "obsolete" a week later, once the manufacturer finds / fixes another flaw or defect.

• Like 1

The final straw for me was a combination of Ecodrift's breakdown (motor seems nice, everything else looks as if it is made of Balsa wood) and the general feedback from those who have ridden it so far (NYC). The wheel is not ready in my opinion. My pre-purchase is still in place in the case that something wonderous happens, but not holding my breath. 

As far as the Sherman, there are so many happy owners... I have give it a try, lol. I did have some concerns while the pre-prod units were getting passed around, but I think that the upcoming batch should be pretty stable. 

Are the MOSFETS still an issue with the production units?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mploy1515 said:

As with a lot of new wheels, or products in general, this is what bugs me -- buying the product at the right time, to where it won't be "obsolete" a week later, once the manufacturer finds / fixes another flaw or defect.

Generally third-batch or later (3-5 months) of most new wheels is normally fine.

One notable exception is the S18, which launched in an exceptionally bad state and saw zero significant improvements/fixes between batch 1 & 2 despite its widespread problems--therefore while improvements are finally promised/expected for batch 3, it is unlikely that all will be properly resolved in a single revision, so it may take until batch 4 or 5 until the S18 is recommendable.

Otherwise/aside from the S18, most other releases from this past spring/summer are all in pretty good shape by now (V11, Sherman, MSP from spring, etc). Conversely all the latest releases the past month or two (basically the late/fall Gotway releases) are still in their teething phase/it's a bit early for everything to shake out with them yet.

This is all further compounded by sales trends by calendar--since more wheels are sold during summer, batch 3 of a spring/summer release will come sooner (closer to initial launch/release) than batch 3 of a fall/winter release--because of how quickly they will sell in their respective timeframes and therefore how long it takes to get to a batch 3.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

If I were in your shoes, I'd cancel the EX pre-purchase (after the Ecodrift photos) and just wait while enjoying the Sherman.

If I cancel the purchase my wife will not release the funding once it is refunded, (she has no idea I spent that ridiculous amount, lol). I want to have enough credit on the books at eWheels to cover another wheel for Spring of 2021 so i am laying low for now. I hope my wife does not stumble upon this... I mean I love my wife dearly and would never secretly purchase EUCs without her approval. LOL

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gon2fast said:

If I cancel the purchase my wife will not release the funding once it is refunded, (she has no idea I spent that ridiculous amount, lol). I want to have enough credit on the books at eWheels to cover another wheel for Spring of 2021 so i am laying low for now. I hope my wife does not stumble upon this... I mean I love my wife dearly and would never secretly purchase EUCs without her approval. LOL

If you only have the money in reserve and can wait as long as you want till you buy, then it's another thing. I can say nothing to say against that. You have to do what you have to do, it's wheels! ;)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

If you only have the money in reserve and can wait as long as you want till you buy, then it's another thing. I can say nothing to say against that. You have to do what you have to do, it's wheels! ;)

So funny what we'll all do for our "adult toys" -- getting fresh into this hobby / sport, I figured "why would  any one need more than one EUC? just buy a good one and be done with it", and just months into my first purchase of a solid wheel, im already eyeing a damn Sherman! hahha

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

Enjoying the Sherman a lot. Have over 3,500 kms of maintenance-free riding (literally have not had to tighten pedal screws, inflate tire, fix any broken parts, etc). And mine is number 40 off the production line. 

So many little issues with my Inmotion V10f, and this is from an established company with a mature product line.

So for the Sherman from a brand-new company with their first wheel being so reliable and durable, its quite the rare exception. Look into the Veteran forum and most of the posts are about modding and very little in way of actual problems.

Mango - what type of terrain do you normally ride and how has the transition to the heavier Sherman been from the V10F?

Due to the lack of/poor reviews I am giving up on the EX and pulling the difference from the purchase to cover the Sherman. It is sad as I had high expectations for the EX, but from what I have seen and heard from Veteran they are basically passing right by and leaving GW/BG in the dust concerning performance wheels.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

Due to the lack of/poor reviews I am giving up on the EX and pulling the difference from the purchase to cover the Sherman. It is sad as I had high expectations for the EX, but from what I have seen and heard from Veteran they are basically passing right by and leaving GW/BG in the dust concerning performance wheels.

Damn, quite a testament -- but I dont blame ya. I've been sold on a Sherman already. GW / BG can't even figure out a reliable brand name, which is.... worrisome, to say the least.

Just not gonna make a deposit / purchase until this winter season is over I think, the 16x is enough to keep me satisfied for now, since I don't plan on doing much riding in the cold / wet  months.

Errr just a thought here but shouldn't ppl at least wait til the EX's out & about before we jump on the "kill it" train? IMHO suspension is the single most important development since the invention of the wheel (pun intended😁) esp for us older geezers that would not only like to preserve what's left of our knees but also skin & bones in an extreme unintended event/s.

Granted the execution isn't the greatest so far (for all 3mfgrs IMO) & I'm certainly not enchanted with the pricing of the EX but the Sherman has shown that there's a market for a premium speedier wheel with range so I can't blame them for that.

I watched @evX_Mick vid on it & was astounded by the acceleration beating the previous Champ MSPt by secs. Granted it was only 1 test but still....! Even Vee has much better things to say once she started riding it. Not saying its the greatest & bestest but lets give it a chance & await the full evidence before pronouncing the death sentence. Just saying🤨

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

Don't blame ya for not doing anything ATM but daaanng Mon Ami, that last part of the post is the ultimate irony considering you hail from Cali! Why doncha try hoofing it up to the Great White North (presently its in the 0c - 5c & windy) where we try to ride despite any & all weather conditions!

Gotta say you kids in Cali are so spoiled that even the meaning of cold & wet are skewed! Hahaha! No offence ya as I'm having some fun here bud. I'm just plain jealous as all😊

Hahah thats fair -- I knew I'd get flack for that, once people see im in CA :lol:

And regarding what you said earlier too, you're right, with not dismissing GW completely, ive just already "sold" myself on the Sherman i think.

OVERALL, as you implied too, all the manufacturers are still so young... the entire industry is so young, and moving pretty fast it seems. Lot of things can change between now and 6-12 months, it's best to take caution either way. What's crazy, is once this industry gets more mature years from now, we're gonna be seeing so many innovations and advancements, its gonna blow anything and everything out of the water, currently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottie888 said:

Errr just a thought here but shouldn't ppl at least wait til the EX's out & about before we jump on the "kill it" train? IMHO suspension is the single most important development since the invention of the wheel (pun intended😁) esp for us older geezers that would not only like to preserve what's left of our knees but also skin & bones in an extreme unintended event/s.

I get where you are coming from and for the most part I try to stay un-biased with products that I have not experienced, but I can't give a pass here. The EX in the demos does not appear to do anything exceptionally well, but more importantly, the complete lack of weatherproofing killed it for me. 

I no longer want to be part of the first batch customers, maybe they will figure it out down the road then I will reconsider. I am sure that there will be another rider who will happily take my place in line.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gon2fast said:

I get where you are coming from and for the most part I try to stay un-biased with products that I have not experienced, but I can't give a pass here. The EX in the demos does not appear to do anything exceptionally well, but more importantly, the complete lack of weatherproofing killed it for me. 

I no longer want to be part of the first batch customers, maybe they will figure it out down the road then I will reconsider. I am sure that there will be another rider who will happily take my place in line.

Don't blame ya brother as being a 1st (or izit 2nd😳) batch pre-order owner of the infamous S18, I honestly say I feel you. Never a good feeling to be a guinea pig for sure.

That said, don't forget what's out there is still the beta pre-production EX. Based on my own personal experience with GW (or BG or KY🤐), I haven't notice any water related issues. I take my Mten3 out consistent in wet, cold & even snow flurries (which for us in the Great White North, is just a normal day in the park) with nary an issue. Sides isn't the MSX/P famed for being an offroad wheel? Can't say much for the shell but I doubt the MSX/P would have that rep if water resistant is a major issue.

All's I'm saying is while understandably everyone is on the FOTM high, don't forget about the rest. Afterall, we wouldn't want Veteran Sherman to rest on their laurels & competition is the mother of innovation.

On 10/27/2020 at 4:36 AM, mploy1515 said:

I'll need to be able to get it in and out of my trunk frequently.

The Sherman has enough battery to get you to almost any place. It’s a vehicle, isn’t it,, a means of transport ... 😝 So why would you want to put it in a trunk frequently. Isn’t that a bit like putting your car on a truck and drive it somewhere to drive around with it. I do most of my trips medium and long range with the Sherman now. For short range (like a trip to the convenience store) or gatherings with friends at distant places I take a lighter wheel with me. 

• Like 3

So, you guys really can't picture any scenario where one would need to drive their car somewhere the wheel simply can't go?

Is it a good enough reason, that maybe I take it to work with me, and use the wheel during my break?

Come on... 

:facepalm:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mploy1515 said:

So, you guys really can't picture any scenario where one would need to drive their car somewhere the wheel simply can't go?

Is it a good enough reason, that maybe I take it to work with me, and use the wheel during my break?

Come on... 

I commute with a wheel whenever I have to go onsite for work due to poor public transit where I live. Once I get to my campus I can park far away for cheap and explore new places. 

I do agree that a wheel can be as effective as a car/truck in the right environment (I only use a car to do Costco runs nowadays, all other local errands are handled on wheels).

One has to adapt to their environment in their own way, it is not a universal thing (IMHO), lol.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, mploy1515 said:

Come on... 

Why do you need a Sherman like battery for this? How many hours of break time do you have? I always have my Tesla with me in my car, when I go somewhere, but I would never drive my Sherman around with me on a regular basis. :facepalm: 
On the bright side: you may safe a lot of money for not needing a Fitness 💪 Studio anymore. Aren’t they closed anyway?! 🤣 

Edited by Toshio Uemura
  • Like 3