Pedal dip? What is it?

M640x

What is the pedal dip all about?  I've done searches on here and see where it's mentioned but haven't found a good description of what it is.

I'm going to buy the Sherman but will wait for a couple batches to go out first and give them time to work the "bugs" out.

Thanks in advance for info.  

• Like 1

It is when the pedals tilt forward when you turn.
First versions of Sherman had it when going fast (some say, I didn't notice) It have been improved in software since then.

edit: A clarification of what pedal dip really is would be interesting. As far as I understand it it is a natural result of a balancing algorithm that doesn't take in consideration lateral tilt. Pedal dip compensation have been introduced in firmware since a few years, and requires the EUC to be vertical in all directions when calibrating. (or special lie on the side calibration)

On version 1.x firmware of the 18XL I could clearly feel it kick in as a separate "action".

Edited by null
  • Like 2

if a wheel has pedal dip, where one really notices it is going uphill on a steep switchback, or U-turn.  in these instances, even a slight dip can snag the ground on a leaning turn.

• Like 2

My brand new Nik+ has very pronounced pedal dip when I am in a sustained turn. I have only been riding for a month. I am getting somewhat used to it but would obviously prefer it didn't do it. The Pedals seem to perform as I would expect in every other way. I have tried soft, medium and hard modes but this makes no difference to the turn dipping.

4 hours ago, Cribbs said:

My brand new Nik+ has very pronounced pedal dip when I am in a sustained turn. I have only been riding for a month. I am getting somewhat used to it but would obviously prefer it didn't do it.

1. Set the wheel on it’s pedal brackets on two flat chairs, tire hanging in the air between the chairs.

2. Download a bubble level app, and confirm that both pedal brackets are perfectly horizontal and vertical.

3. Calibrate the wheel. Make sure the wheel doesn’t move during the whole calibration.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

On 10/21/2020 at 4:28 AM, Marek Mazur said:

I have sherman and this issue dont exist 

Coming from a Ks 16s,this is a real issue. Noticed it from the first 5 mins on the wheel.Maybe some later Shermans dont have it, but mines got Fxxkload of it!

Pedal dip is really noticeable when u turn slowly and the pedal tilts forward.U rock back on ur  opposite heel to try and lift the front  it but that makes the turn slower and more pronounced.Its shit house when ur doing multiple opposite turns, but i,m still learning to ride this beast!  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Daley1 said:

Coming from a Ks 16s,this is a real issue. Noticed it from the first 5 mins on the wheel.Maybe some later Shermans dont have it, but mines got Fxxkload of it!

Pedal dip is really noticeable when u turn slowly and the pedal tilts forward.U rock back on ur  opposite heel to try and lift the front  it but that makes the turn slower and more pronounced.Its shit house when ur doing multiple opposite turns, but i,m still learning to ride this beast!  

Upgrade the firmware if you have first batch, it's reduced a lot 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 1:28 PM, Marek Mazur said:

I have sherman and this issue dont exist 

Oh yes, it does. First batch from e-wheels has it and its NOT just a little bit. As @Daley1 put it, switchbacks and uphill sweeping turns at speed.... you better be ready. If you do a 180 in the street.... you better be ready. It doesnt make it unrideable, but its not just a little dip that you can use to your advantage for leverage. It is a dip that puts you forward a LOT. Hard mode lessens it, but its still there. In compare to my other wheels, I dont even like to try turning the sherman around in less than 2 lanes. With no firmware updates aside from replacing the main chip, it'll be a pain to do, but worth it if they figure it out.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Is this pedal dip solved/reduced in actual 2-3-4 month of 2021 producted Shermans ?  

Or is just "feature" what be here forever?

11 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

Is this pedal dip solved/reduced in actual 2-3-4 month of 2021 producted Shermans ?  

I had pedal dip on tight turns, which a firmware update solved. I have no problems with this wheel at all. I expect any wheel sold now will be on even later firmware than mine.

Go ahead. Its a non-issue.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

The troubling pedal dip was mitigated around the second revision. Us first version adopters are the only ones who got to enjoy it in ALL its glory:efefc8626c:. My retailer passed around an update chip to us first buyers and the second revision is MUCH better. Its still there but a VERY manageable degree of it. I would suspect that no new wheels are being sold with first version firmware. Hell, the wait was so long, im betting all those first versions are LOOONG gone. My sherm (second vers fw) now dips just barely more than my 18L. I even have the 1st version screen (the good looking one). I was VERY happy that Veteran 'fixed' the previous issue so promptly. Now if only theyd include a charger that wasnt total crap!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2