Hit by car for the second time a year apart...

MetricUSA

Damn people just will not look for pedestrian/bikers!!! I even emptied my air horn coming up to the cars blocking sidewalk and berm...

Line of cars coming out of olive garden all were stopped waiting for traffic, was overcast with slight misting...first car went as I approached, just about to pass and the second car stomps on the gas hitting me hard...took out my left knee, and broke side led strip on the 18 xl...

Interesting I thought I wrote about the first car hit that happened last Aug...must of only mentioned it in someone else's post... That guy hit me as he turned left coming from opposite direction nonstop and with no signaling!!

Edited by MetricUSA

38 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

we call them "SMIDSY". For "Sorry Mister I Didnt See You", because that is what they usually say when they  get out of their car and bend over you while you are laying groaning on the asphalt.

Ow, I am one of those drivers - once ... a few years (more than a decade) ago I had to cross an intersection, and it was a familiar place (knew it was dangerous), looked (and I am certain I did) both sides, came to the middle and looked again, continued and WHAM (not the group) ... another car in my side steering (not a motorcycle).

So I did a SMIDSY ... and it was true ... I apologized and took my responsibility.

My observation afterwards on this one, because I wondered how this could have happened, is that: while looking to the right at 2 separate points in time the other driver was partially hidden behind the light pillars.
The good news: they changed the intersection a few years later ...

When driving a non-shielded vehicle (non-car)  I drive more defensively and anticipating, I believe that a majority of incidents takes 2 (full responsibility on the idiot)  and me for not assessing the situation correctly. I am not saying you can avoid all, but you can avoid some. Like: this car just parked, hurray for doors that will fly open. Or this truck is turning right, let's make some noise in advance and reduce my speed (not staying on his side). Or this car is looking for a parking spot in the city, (s)he will turn right whenever there is a space available (forgetting everyone else who is on the road) ... These are the moments in life I curse a lot and loud ... :P

But anyways, we are fragile on our EUC (and other means of transport), even when geared up. It won't be my first and it won't be my last :wacko:.

Yup. In a perfect world (no cars, other vehicles or even pedestrians), we could drive around without looking out for anyone.

In city full of obstacles, you have to scan 10 times a second.

Also, watch out for those crazies that cut across 2 or 3 lanes as they turn into parking lot...they are out there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

We motorcyclists can sing you a song about those people ... that scenario is the most common cause of motorcycle accidents with another vehicle involved IIRC. We have even got a name for those pull-outers and turn-lefters: we call them "SMIDSY". For "Sorry Mister I Didnt See You", because that is what they usually say when they  get out of their car and bend over you while you are laying groaning on the asphalt.

My first EUC related accident was also with a SMIDSY : I was crossing an intersection while driving on the bike lane.  A car coming from the opposite side suddenly turned left without signalling.  I realised it would crash on me, so I jumped off the wheel, where it hit his cars tire.  Luckily no cars/EUCs/humans were injured during this event, apart from additional scratches on the handle & pedals of my V10. 

The drivers first reaction was 'Sorry mister, I didn't see you.'  Of course you couldn't, especially if you're busy with your mobile phone while turning... Shees !

7 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

we call them "SMIDSY". For "Sorry Mister I Didnt See You",

That made me chuckle, because there was actually a TV series on BBC UK in 1982 called 'Sorry Mate I Didn't See You'. It was about safe motorcycle riding. I remember it mainly because of the title music (which was shocking). I was only 10 years old at the time lol.

Don't get me started on drivers who don't use their turn signal! The other day I heard someone complaining because the person she was driving with insisted on using his turn signal. She was making fun of him because there was "no one else around". Unfortunately, that is when you should use it the most because it's the people we DON'T see that need to know when we are turning.

• Like 1