New material science fabrication process

The Dude

I watched part of the video all the way through. It's a video about room temperature superconductivity. They've managed to get away from using difficult to create super low temperatures to now needing difficult to create super high pressures. Effectively exchanging one problem for another. The interviewer though is rather cute.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I watched part of the video all the way through. It's a video about room temperature superconductivity. They've managed to get away from using difficult to create super low temperatures to now needing difficult to create super high pressures. Effectively exchanging one problem for another. The interviewer though is rather cute.

Graphene in mass production could absolve this issue just as readily. Same problem, correct? The ability to mass fabricate the substrate. The difference being, liquid nitrogen is a no go for consumers (as it should be). It is relatively simplistic to scale up and out on this type of innovation. Due too the one off in production, as opposed to the ongoing need to replenish a resource one shouldn't have access too in the first place, I would assert in this regard we're comparing apples and oranges. Re: the interviewer: I know, right?

Edited by The Dude

Reminds me of the revolutionary battery cells that get announced about every three months and which have three times the capacity of today's best 18650 cells and can be charged in 15 seconds ... oh, of course only one button cell prototype has  been produced in a lab ... and that is the last thing you ever hear about it

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

When was graphene mentioned in the video? I didn't see it mentioned in the comments either. I'm also not sure how this relevant to EUCs, shouldn't it be in the off topic area? 

I didn't assert Graphene was mentioned in the video. I asserted "Graphene in mass production could absolve this issue just as readily." as a means of equivalence to another material suffering from the same technological gap currently. If this was off topic, or posted in the wrong portion of the forum, my apologies. I just kind of assumed the "Electric" portion of EUC made this relevant. Perhaps I have an abridged Dictionary.

Edited by The Dude

6 hours ago, atdlzpae said:

clickbait.thumb.jpg.965d1ebfbdad3e3e4c21278addf87ef0.jpg

I'm not questioning the achievement, but my mind will be blown after someone finds a practical use for this material.

The number of uses for superconductors is varied, well established, and lengthy. Now superconductivity at room temperature... that is a completely different story. It will only extend upon the existing base of viability for consumer utilization of the benefits of this technology.

2 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

Reminds me of the revolutionary battery cells that get announced about every three months and which have three times the capacity of today's best 18650 cells and can be charged in 15 seconds ... oh, of course only one button cell prototype has  been produced in a lab ... and that is the last thing you ever hear about it

So, no one is familiar with 21700s, 26650s, etc? As for the solid state batteries you are eluding too, you are correct in that perhaps consumers are going to just hold off on their false sense of entitlement to the next thing swinging, unless they choose to become electrical engineers themselves. I couldn't agree more with the desire for modularity, etc. in this new platform. Capitalists call that an "Opportunity".

Edited by The Dude

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I didn't assert Graphene was mentioned in the video.

Actually, you didn't state what the video was about or why it was relevant, I only picked up on graphene because you mentioned it twice in two posts. I think it definitely helps if you state at the very beginning why we should watch the video and why it is relevant, otherwise people just wonder why they're watching the video.

2 minutes ago, Surfling said:

Got curious for the interviewer.

Hands off, she's mine! :) 

8 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Actually, you didn't state what the video was about or why it was relevant, I only picked up on graphene because you mentioned it twice in two posts. I think it definitely helps if you state at the very beginning why we should watch the video and why it is relevant, otherwise people just wonder why they're watching the video.

My bad. You're right. I shouldn't have assumed "New material science fabrication process" was descriptive in what data I was implying may be imparted upon the viewer. Is someone missing a support dolphin up in here? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot folks.

Edited by The Dude
Enquiring minds want to know...

4 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

life's like that "believe it when you see it" don't get me going on intelligent traffic lights.  oh ah, the idea of keeping british summer time where it is rite now is again on hold for the for the presumable,  No mention of covid though, err wtf

Edited by yon

1 minute ago, yon said:

don't get me going on intelligent traffic lights.

Decades ago I saw these traffic lights in Cairo that told you how long you'd be waiting until they went green. I think the idea was that people would turn off their engines while waiting which would cut down on the pollution. Unfortunately the local drivers didn't even slow down as they drove through the red lights ;) 

4 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Decades ago I saw these traffic lights in Cairo that told you how long you'd be waiting until they went green. I think the idea was that people would turn off their engines while waiting which would cut down on the pollution. Unfortunately the local drivers didn't even slow down as they drove through the red lights ;) 

Hmm I was of the understanding in the Uk they could see what is or is not on the road either way and could switch red amber green accordingly to keep the flow flowing.  There is probably a different topic for this type of conversation such as "mad ideas In my dreams".

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

The number of uses for superconductors is varied, well established, and lengthy. Now superconductivity at room temperature... that is a completely different story. It will only extend upon the existing base of viability for consumer utilization of the benefits of this technology.

Look at graphene - we've known about it for a 100 years and since 2004 media just can't stop talking about it.
How many real, practical uses are for graphene today? I was unable to google a single one. :rolleyes:

I'm not questioning the usefulness of superconductors! :D I'm questioning the usefulness of this particular superconductor.
And even then, it will take decades before any practical uses.

53 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

Look at graphene - we've known about it for a 100 years and since 2004 media just can't stop talking about it.
How many real, practical uses are for graphene today? I was unable to google a single one. :rolleyes:

I'm not questioning the usefulness of superconductors! :D I'm questioning the usefulness of this particular superconductor.
And even then, it will take decades before any practical uses.

Point taken. Did anyone else wax philosophic on the video is discussing a means of discovering new materials, and the one being discussed as a superconductor at room temperature is just an example of this discovery of a new means of material production. Obvious implications are obvious.

Edited by The Dude
Etiquette correction via xanax.