Jump to content

Warning to use Chinese NoName Units


Geowurm
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am using a Gotway Msuper and Osdrich T1 since 3 months now. Never had any problems with these 2 and felt really safe on them.

Decided to get another cheap EU that is lighter. Found one (VEVOR) on eBay stating a weight lighter than the ones I already had.

Last week on a trip to work at about 8 km/h all in a sudden the unit switched off without any warning. This shut down without warning resulted in an accident that caused severe body damages. My right lower leg broke so bad that I needed all my luck to keep my leg! Right now I am still in the hospital recovering from the accident. It will take at least 6 months to recover and I need luck to be able to walk again.

I had never thought that this is possible, and that riding a unicycle is considered as extreme sports. 

WARNING to all EU users. Don’t rely on cheap Chinese imports. They might stall on you causing severe accidents.

Color: Black MPN: X3
Brand: VEVOR Country/Region of Manufacture: China
Model: X3 Wattage:

132WH Lithiu mBattery

s-l1600.jpg

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about your accident, I wish you a quick recovery.

Were wearing knee pad and wrist guard ?

I think that it is important to tell everybody about wearing protection.

I try to ride at a speed where I know I can run off if any problem....I have to admit sometime my estimate is not that accurate.

We mostly underestimate the body damages that can result from a fall with those EUCs.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about your accident, that's pretty extensive damage... it takes a really bad fall to break bones in legs. Sincerely hope you'll recover fully.

Even though the sudden cut-outs seem to plague the cheap units mostly (probably due to low quality batteries?), it could still happen with a more high-quality wheel. Stay safe, people!

Edited by esaj
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am sure that this was caused by 3 things:

-Body weight on the upper limit

-Unit to small (batteries with not enough power to fight the weight)

-Minor Chinese quality in the safety features (no beep or pedal lift before shut off)

 

My gotway and Osdrich gave me great feedback about speed and battery status. The VEVOR gave no warning at all!

 

 

Edited by Geowurm
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for the heads up - and in this case also for name calling. Recklessness on manufacturer side is not excusable. This confirmed my assumption I'd be safer spending a few hundred Euros more on my first EUC.

I wish you recover fully and as fast as possible under the circumstances.

Maybe this will lead manufacturers to put some bumper material around those sharp aluminum pedals (the Inmotion V3 that I ordered has it already - though I don't know if it would have helped much in your case).

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Achim63 said:

Thank you for the heads up - and in this case also for name calling. Recklessness on manufacturer side is not excusable. This confirmed my assumption I'd be safer spending a few hundred Euros more on my first EUC.

I wish you recover fully and as fast as possible under the circumstances.

Maybe this will lead manufacturers to put some bumper material around those sharp aluminum pedals (the Inmotion V3 that I ordered has it already - though I don't know if it would have helped much in your case).

 

Hi Achim,

I am sure that this accident is caused by the bad battery payload ratio. My Osdrich was able to get me up a basement garage ramp without any  problems but with 660 WH /110 kg there is a lot of safety in the system. With 132 WH /110 kg this is not the case. I was feeling "to" safe because of the data of the Chinese model instead let my physical  knowledge kick in.

Edited by Geowurm
IT safety
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm in Treptow - and intend to wheel over to Kreuzberg to my workplace with the EUC as soon as I'm confident enough to leave the corridor of our flat. Though I'm not so sure any more after reading that it's completely outlawed in Germany right now (I feel like living in a police state ... can't wait to get my rent and move to the Canary Islands ...).

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/12/2015 at 1:03 AM, Achim63 said:

I'm in Treptow - and intend to wheel over to Kreuzberg to my workplace with the EUC as soon as I'm confident enough to leave the corridor of our flat. Though I'm not so sure any more after reading that it's completely outlawed in Germany right now (I feel like living in a police state ... can't wait to get my rent and move to the Canary Islands ...).

 

First of all, good luck with your learning. I was taking about 2 h in the corridor, 2 - 4 h on the suspention wheels and another 3 - 4 h to get confident on it to use it to commute and get things in my surrounding. It's great too to get from the parking lot to your house :-). Yes, in Germany this EUs are complete outlawed. Not only that you run it without any insurance, if you cause any damage you are complete on your own.

Problem Nr. one I see is that pedestrians that see you will just stop walking to stare at you be in your way. This is not Funny!

My hint: Better take a bike to commute.

Edited by Geowurm
grammar correction
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Geowurm said:

Hi Achim,

I am sure that this accident is caused by the bad battery payload ratio. My Osdrich was able to get me up a basement garage ramp without any  problems but with 660 WH /110 kg there is a lot of safety in the system. With 132 WH /110 kg this is not the case. I was feeling "to" safe because of the data of the Chinese model instead let my physical  knowledge kick in.

Sorry to hear about your accident and hoping for your speedy recovery. In my experience, these no name EUC's cannot be safely ridden at a speed of more than 12kph and is best used at walking phase and park playing only. My X3 Clone which I bought with upgraded 170wh battery and with a bms that I shunted makes the tilt back at 12kph but does not make any beep at all. I feel that in your case, the bms suddenly shut down due to power drain to save the 130wh battery which maybe has a low level at the time of shut down. 

Edited by SlowMo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SlowMo said:

Sorry to hear about your accident and hoping for your speedy recovery. In my experience, these no name EUC's cannot be safely ridden at a speed of more than 12kph and is best used at walking phase and park playing only. My X3 Clone which I bought with upgraded 170wh battery and with a bms that I shunted makes the tilt back at 12kph but does not make any beep at all. I feel that in your case, the bms suddenly shut down due to power drain to save the 130wh battery which maybe has a low level at the time of shut down. 

It looks like you are right. I was not aware of those EU to shut down at all, because the Osdrich and Gotway had lots of safety built in and I never reached the point to get a speed warning. With he NoName EU it really got me cold without warning or so. I'd be better informed I'd be more careful. But now the damage is done. Looks like Christmas in the Hospital. Still fighting to keep my leg. :-(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Colestien said:

  Sorry to hear you were hurt, hope you get better faster than you expect.  The posting of your story will help others, Thank you

That's why I'm telling everbody. Riders out there, go for safety. Buy well desined EUs with lots of safety build in. An 132WH EU shall not be allowed a payload more than 60 kg. As more WHs are built in and as higher the torque and max speed are as safer the EU is. With 100 kg you better look for a minimum of 400 WHs with a lot of torque. Everything less I think is not safe to ride. If its not just a toy for you and you want to commute with it, better go for the big ones >>400 WH. They make your ride safe.

Stay within the speed limits and always wear your protection gear!

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Geowurm said:

I am sure that this was caused by 3 things:

-Body weight on the upper limit

-Unit to small (batteries with not enough power to fight the weight)

-Minor Chinese quality in the safety features (no beep or pedal lift before shut off)

My gotway and Osdrich gave me great feedback about speed and battery status. The VEVOR gave no warning at all!

 

Yes, Gotway, especially with biggest battery is really good regarding safety, compared to no name wheels, it gives me speed warnings.. It could fail, if calibrated wrong via app! Also I tried "Pinwheel T1"190wh, inexpensive, but very well made! I had a few shut off's with it, but I was able to jump off to the front of it and grab the belt, quite successfully for me and my pinwheel, however the back side of my legs were always bruised after the punches and my running at the same time (not too bad) this only happening only, if I hit it's power limits when going up a steep hill and try to go over 10-12 km per hour (my curiosity) If riding on flat my pinwheel always warns me with tilting back at about 14km. per h.

 

Edited by Lovely
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a terrible accident. I feel very sorry for you and wish you a fast and full recovery. I take this as a warning to all of us. It also makes me angry because the manufacturers don't adress these failures which are a severe threat to our lives. This is very serious. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about your fall and injury and hope you recover fast.

With regards to the EU the X3 is a pretty solid EU and almost all startup Electric Unicycles companies around the world has it as their base model.  The X3 is the EU that was originally designed by Airwheel and it became such a big seller that the factory got orders from other companies to re-brand and manufactured for them.

As you have surmised already it is likely the small battery that caused the accident.  The more battery that is in a wheel the safer it becomes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Achim63 said:

Thank you for the heads up - and in this case also for name calling. Recklessness on manufacturer side is not excusable. This confirmed my assumption I'd be safer spending a few hundred Euros more on my first EUC.

I wish you recover fully and as fast as possible under the circumstances.

Maybe this will lead manufacturers to put some bumper material around those sharp aluminum pedals (the Inmotion V3 that I ordered has it already - though I don't know if it would have helped much in your case).

 

The sudden shutoff is not only a cheap EU problem.  Ninebot owners have also faced this problem.  On my last big group ride in Hong Kong one of the owners of the very new Gotway MCM4 face planted from a shutdown and those cost over 850 Euros.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ScooterB said:

What a terrible accident. I feel very sorry for you and wish you a fast and full recovery. I take this as a warning to all of us. It also makes me angry because the manufacturers don't adress these failures which are a severe threat to our lives. This is very serious. 

I have no clue why VEVOR and other EU manufacturers still build EUs with BMS shut downs. In my opinion this is just bad risk management or careless concept design.

Safe for the batteries and the EU but really dangerous for the rider.

To prevent accidents like mine I'd better had a "off road" like body armor, but in common situations I, and probably everyone else like me just jump on your wheel and take off for a less than 300 m ride. My conclusion: no matter how long your ride will be, use every time proper protection!

2 hours ago, playdad said:

Wow, such injuries even with guards on! That is quite scary! I hope you recover fully within a month!!

I had a Helmet, knee and elbow pads, but the right aluminum step got me from behind, cut complete thru my fibula and tibia, where my protection was zero.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Chuts said:

The sudden shutoff is not only a cheap EU problem.  Ninebot owners have also faced this problem.  On my last big group ride in Hong Kong one of the owners of the very new Gotway MCM4 face planted from a shutdown and those cost over 850 Euros.

@chunts Its not only the bigger batteries that make a wheel safe, its more the BMS shut down feature making the safest wheel dangerous

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In this forum there are so many warnings not to ride the X3 without deactivating the low battery shut down.

The small battery is not the problem, with a bigger battery you can drive longer, the problem comes up less often, but it remains.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once your have got to a specific skill level you will be faster than the X3 in what the wheel can provide.  You will over torque which will cause a BMS shutdown, you will over speed which will cause a BMS shutdown, you will over accelerate which will also cause a BMS shutdown.

You can't expect the EU to perform better as you become a more skilled rider. You can shunt the wheel as described in another thread but thats because you are performing an modification for the wheel to run better. If you ripped out the BMS and changed that to a more powerful one your EU will run better.  If you ripped out the engine and installed a faster more powerful one your EU will be safer, but then could you still call your EU an X3?

I have a 63 year old friend who rides the X3.  He won't stray from it because he thinks it is the best.  He has owned 3 wheels in total and they have all been X3.  Our riding group is big enough for him to try out many other makes but he prefers the X3.  He has only bought new ones due to none EU related problems such as loosing control and the X3 going into a river for example.  None of them have been shunted and he never pushes the wheel further than what it can perform and swears he has never face-planted from day one of riding.  They have not all been branded as Airwheels either.  Only the latest one he has is branded as such.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...