Wind - A DANGEROUS Road Condition That is Easily Ignored

Agreed. It's awfully windy where I am & worse, we're esp susceptible to high(er) speed wind gusts (which IMO is even worse). There's oft times where I going along & suddenly, it's like I'm being pushed hard to one side. They're definitely sphincter moments that makes riding not very fun.

That said, I've recently discovered that the little Mten3 is best for riding in those particular condition where I'd definitely retire the big(ger) wheels. I don't know if its because of the slower speeds, or lower CG but it seems to handle windy condtions very well. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have to slow WAAAY down in crosswinds to keep moving in a straight line. Had a few windy rides in a row so I've been improving though. Especially scary in bike lanes in an area where cars drive right up next to your lane

Edited by I_Must_Bust
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, cross wind is not good for EUCs. We don't have a two wheels in line to keep us straight like bicycles or electric scooters, so we have to conteract the wind manually. Head wind is also not pleasant, but it can be somewhat mitigated by reducing your cross-section (i.e. crouching, moving your arms in front of you, etc). And by extra leaning forward, of course.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dive said:

Yeah, cross wind is not good for EUCs. We don't have a two wheels in line to keep us straight like bicycles or electric scooters, so we have to conteract the wind manually. Head wind is also not pleasant, but it can be somewhat mitigated by reducing your cross-section (i.e. crouching, moving your arms in front of you, etc). And by extra leaning forward, of course.

Yeah cross winds are the worst for me. For winds coming toward me at an angle I adjust my torso to cut through it by leading with one shoulder. For direct headwinds I mostly just reduce speed and ride carefully. 

Cross winds, especially large gusts, have given me some close calls when on the side of the road with limited room and close passing cars. On the occasions that's happened I get off those roads right away. My gear ain't gonna stop a miata, let alone a truck.

Edited by I_Must_Bust
  • Like 1