King Song 18l won't turn on

Pr3mium

Hi everyone.  I just inherited a King Song 18l from someone.  The thing shut off on them and they crashed it and the handle ripped off.  They ordered the replacement handle but never got around to repairing it, but believing just the handle and the sensors inside were bad.

I have put on a brand new handle, and replaced the pressure sensors.  I then charged it with 2 chargers for at least the past 4 hours and finally decided to try it out.

When I press the power button a red light shines and disappears when I let go.  If I hold it it stays on.  As soon as I let it go it turns off.  The person that gave it to me says he believes that's what it was doing beforehand.  I opened the board (KS18L V1.1) and everything looks ok from eyesite.  I want to test the fuses for continuity but I left my meter at work.

https://ibb.co/XDwNRJZ

Image of if I'm holding the power button down.

1) yes, test fuses... You can probably even see their state because they are usually semi-transparent and you giving high current you should the that wire continuity is gone...

2) try to disconnect motor wires and try to switch it on

3) can you connect to using your phone and KS app ? If you can't then connect charger and try again, you should be able to connect.

4) try with only one batteries. Maybe one one the batteries is bad shape...

1.  I will have to wait to actually test them.  They look fine just looking at them.  I don't see broken continuity.

2.  Disconnected the yellow connector and it does the same thing.

3. I cannot connect, and even if I connect the charger to it I cannot connect.

4.  Same as 2.  Disconnected each yellow connector one at a time and it does the same thing.

Also, speakers seem to turn on while the button is held.  They make a small pop noise when I let go.

I'd just like to reply and say I'm beginning to think I just need a new board.  It just sucks because while I could replace it myself, I'd like someone knowledgeable who can make sure it's all running correctly when it gets changed.  I have to go to NYC it seems to find some enthusiast with a small shop.

• 3 months later...

Rested 18L for 2 days, turn on today and doesn't balance, with 2 red lights on each side leds, and single beeps every 5 seconds, even when off and charging. Board and app bluetooth are on. Rolled the wheel and registers speed (hall sensor working), basically only motor is off.

Went into kingsong app to ensure unlocked. Disconnected batteries and motor cables, restedj 30mins, and reconnect with same results. Kingsong app says gyroscope malfunction, euc world has a red spanner logo.

One giveaway, was bluetooth music disappears. 

2+ years, 12,000+km on this workhorse, just curious how does its gyroscope suddenly fail without motor power just overnight, like that? 

0HSLk1T.png

39fENXS.png

Does shorted leds/usb/speakers disable the motor? Any suggestion to diagnose /restore? 

Edited by jaiong
Model name added

51 minutes ago, jaiong said:

just curious how does its gyroscope suddenly fail without motor power just overnight, like that? 

It’s a combination of bad luck and good. Bad, because hardware will fail, good because you weren’t riding it. Who knows, solder joint finally failed (prime suspect)? Capacitor got old and too dried out (also a good candidate)? 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 2/7/2021 at 1:47 AM, jaiong said:

Rested 18L for 2 days, turn on today and doesn't balance, with 2 red lights on each side leds, and single beeps every 5 seconds, even when off and charging. Board and app bluetooth are on. Rolled the wheel and registers speed (hall sensor working), basically only motor is off.

Went into kingsong app to ensure unlocked. Disconnected batteries and motor cables, restedj 30mins, and reconnect with same results. Kingsong app says gyroscope malfunction, euc world has a red spanner logo.

One giveaway, was bluetooth music disappears. 

2+ years, 12,000+km on this workhorse, just curious how does its gyroscope suddenly fail without motor power just overnight, like that? 

0HSLk1T.png

39fENXS.png

Does shorted leds/usb/speakers disable the motor? Any suggestion to diagnose /restore? 

After months, i turned it on, can't balance, with momentary rolling resistance, then cutoff. Did a wheel calibration, and it sprung back to life. Test rode it a few km. The next day, when turned on, it fail to balance again, can't get the temporary resistance again. The gyro can't be spoilt, because the front lights works when titled both ways. Any explanation?