Hip Protection?

Hey guys,

On one of the minor falls I've taken, I hit my hip on the pavement. It was a very minor fall so the injury was also very minor, but I imagine a severe crash could cause a lot of damage to unarmored hips.

Problem is, unlike knees / elbows / wrists, there don't look to be any hip protectors that can be easily removed when you reach your destination. I ride to work every day, and I'm not looking to wear armored/padded shorts every day at work or have to change out of them at work. What do other people use, and is there any kind of external, single-purpose hip protection available that I just haven't found?

• Like 1

Demon has a Velcro waist belt with hip and tailbone pads, adjustable and removable. 3DO in the tailbone, EVA for the hips. Seems to work well (of course, haven’t fallen since adding them to the gearset) but I have to wear fat pants cuz the waist belt plus pads adds 3”— and the pants I wear end up looking a bit like jodhpurs on me. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I clipped a pedal on a rock riding my RS19 @ ~ 10MPH. I was immediately thrown to the asphalt and my hip sustained a painful bruise. I don’t want to really hurt my hip if/when I crash going 25-30 mph.

I need all my gear to strap on top of my clothes since I use the EUC to shuttle between vehicles, and I strap the gear on and off multiple times a day.
Another requirement: I only buy gear with protective hard shell covers. I want to fall and slide, not have any gear grip and throw me into a roll. Initially, I  was looking at Dainese Hard Shorts E1, or Alpinestars Bionic Free Ride short, but either option would look terrible over clothes, and may not stay in place during a crash.Damascus_TG40_IMPERIAL_Police_And_Riot_G

I found & purchased the Damascus TG40 IMPERIAL Law Enforcement And Riot Gear, Groin and Thigh Protection With Molle System. I’m planning on getting some 1/8” D30 foam, laminating it to some thin UHMW HDPE sheet. And attaching it to the Molle straps. Thankfully the groin protector is removable. In one of the reviews someone was using it for their motorcycle protection.