Thinking of buying Veteran Sherman for long commute

Chad

So, I bought a Gotway Mten3 a few months back, and I’ve had so much fun with it. I have hundreds of miles on it now.  My original intention wasn’t to go fast and far. The problem now is that I constantly want to go faster than my Mten3 can go, and I run out of range so quickly. 

I’m now wanting more speed and range, and the thought of driving a Sherman to work sounds like so much fun. The catch is that I have a 23 mile commute one way. Also, the ride would have to be primarily on the highway. Do you think this is feasible? 

aleo, the Mten3 is my only EUC. How hard would it be to learn on a Veteran Sherman with the experience I have?

Edited by Chad

5 minutes ago, Chad said:

... Also, the ride would have to be primarily on the highway. Do you think this is feasible? 

Do you mean a state highway or an Interstate?

If it's an interstate, that's a hard no. State highways might sometimes allow bicycle traffic (and by extension EUC traffic if any nearby authorities are feeling lenient) on the shoulder, depending on where you are, but there is no way you can take an EUC on an interstate highway. You'd be pulled over in an instant.

15 minutes ago, Arbolest said:

Do you mean a state highway or an Interstate?

If it's an interstate, that's a hard no. State highways might sometimes allow bicycle traffic (and by extension EUC traffic if any nearby authorities are feeling lenient) on the shoulder, depending on where you are, but there is no way you can take an EUC on an interstate highway. You'd be pulled over in an instant.

State highway. 

I think learning to ride the Sherman after the MTen would be no problem at all. In fact I suspect you will find it much easier to mount and to ride than the MTen. At least that is how it was for me when I switched from my generic 14'' wheel to my V10F.

That said I dont think I would want to commute on any unicycle 23 miles one way on a highway with cars roaring past me from behind all the time.

I too have an Mten3 as my first wheel. On my recent group ride with Marty to the beach, I told him I have never ridden any other wheel before, so he let me try his MSP.. the weight was overwhelming to me, I tried 2 times to ride it, both times I fell. I would love to get a sherman too, in my opinion I think I will  need to  start from the beginning, learning to ride a bigger EUC, I felt like my legs  and body need to get used to the weight to learn how to balance. I just do not know how long it will take. I am sure everybody's learning curve is different, it might  take you just 2 hours or 2 days. 

Edited by newbie101
  • Like 1

That's a long trip. Good luck if you decide to go this route. My commute is 9-10 miles and I thoroughly enjoy it on my msp high speed. I sit most of the way (crouching, no seat), and travel at speeds of up to 40mph (23 mph average speed). My route goes along concrete bike paths and bitumen roads, both of which are quite comfortable.

Wow you're a brave soul. While I do ride some on city streets, I stick mainly to bike paths or if none, bike lanes. I can't even imagine going on any highways. Even if its legal on the shoulders, the vehicles passing me at speed would freak me out & worse, the wind shear of passing 18wheelers or other such ilk would be "challenging" to say the least.

EUCs & its PEV cousins aren't really designed for mingling with autos/trucks on highways IMHO.