Tire Imbalance(?) after Gotway Nikola Tire Change, NEED HELP

rexdelmolvo

35 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

time to try another brand of tube?

Are there other brands for EUC tubes? I have only bought from eWheels and they only have the one kind of 16x3 tube.

I have one other inner tube that I bought in case I popped this one. Maybe that one won't have this issue..? They're all the same type as the tube that was originally in the stock tire prior to the change. Thinking I might take it all over to a bike shop and see if they'll offer their service to help balance it, too.

2 hours ago, rexdelmolvo said:

Are there other brands for EUC tubes? I have only bought from eWheels and they only have the one kind of 16x3 tube.

I have one other inner tube that I bought in case I popped this one. Maybe that one won't have this issue..? They're all the same type as the tube that was originally in the stock tire prior to the change. Thinking I might take it all over to a bike shop and see if they'll offer their service to help balance it, too.

balancing an euc rim isnt the same as a bike rim. You cant seperate the rim from the motor so its a crap shoot. I havent bothered try to balance mine, as a static balance will be near impossible for the drag of the motor. I havent looked, but surely a tube is a tube. I would think that if you can get anything close to the right size, it would work. Don't quote me on it, but I wouldnt be too worried about spending a few pennies just to see of some cheapo tube that isnt 'euc specific' would work. What size of tire is it running? Sorry, I dont own a nik. The biggest problem will probably be valve angle and how much room you got. 

https://www.monsterscooterparts.com/16-x-2-4-16-x-2-25-2-50-tube-with-angled-valve-stem.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5fz5ge687AIVPB-tBh2euAV7EAQYAyABEgITMvD_BwE

Edited by ShanesPlanet

i used to inflate my tires with my compressor but i hv often found it causing bulges etc that affect ride. I now use my bicycle pump and chk for even seating as i go (working them by hand at low psi). for bent rim @buell47 has a good post on how to fix...

At this point I think I would very carefully slice a tiny amount of rubber off from the bead of the outer tire. I know some people have drilled the hole in the rim larger, which would then give room for the valve stem to go to instead of pushing the bead of the outer tire. But I think I’d rather cut a bit of rubber than drill the actual motor.

3 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

At this point I think I would very carefully slice a tiny amount of rubber off from the bead of the outer tire. I know some people have drilled the hole in the rim larger, which would then give room for the valve stem to go to instead of pushing the bead of the outer tire. But I think I’d rather cut a bit of rubber than drill the actual motor.

Ooh, I thought of this! But I wasn’t sure if it was a good idea or not. You think it’s doable? Would it be safe? I’ve been enduring a bumpy ride after I hit a wall with making progress (without fully taking it apart again), but I might try this tomorrow... it’s just a more nuclear option. Could be bad if I fuck it up.

1 hour ago, rexdelmolvo said:

Ooh, I thought of this! But I wasn’t sure if it was a good idea or not. You think it’s doable? Would it be safe? I’ve been enduring a bumpy ride after I hit a wall with making progress (without fully taking it apart again), but I might try this tomorrow... it’s just a more nuclear option. Could be bad if I fuck it up.

I think it should definitely be doable. Safeness depends only on your slicing skills... ;) But the way I see it, even if you reach the bead core wire for a short while, it still shouldn’t compromise the tire’s strength or posture in a meaningful way. The bead on these tires have a sharp rubber lip on the inside of the bead, which seems like a perfect place to slice a few mm.

Besides, a bumpy ride is a slight compromise in safety anyway, so if you can fix that by slicing a little, it’s definitely worth it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I think it should definitely be doable. Safeness depends only on your slicing skills... ;) But the way I see it, even if you reach the bead core wire for a short while, it still shouldn’t compromise the tire’s strength or posture in a meaningful way. The bead on these tires have a sharp rubber lip on the inside of the bead, which seems like a perfect place to slice a few mm.

Besides, a bumpy ride is a slight compromise in safety anyway, so if you can fix that by slicing a little, it’s definitely worth it.

I'll try it after I wake up then. Do you know where the bead core wire is located? Is it more towards the inside of the tire or the outside? And I guess my last question is... is the tire screwed if I slice it by accident? I'm guessing yes.

Edited by rexdelmolvo

Do you know where the bead core wire is located? Is it more towards the inside of the tire or the outside?

I don’t, but due to the width of the bead I would think that it’s pretty much at the center. Carving a bit of the same slope to the inside of the bead that’s already on the inside, for 1.5 - 2 cm should do it.

And I guess my last question is... is the tire screwed if I slice it by accident? I'm guessing yes.

Well, there is a steel wire to stop the blade if you completely lose the control of your muscles. As long as you keep some sense in what you’re doing, I think you’ll be perfectly fine!

8 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I don’t, but due to the width of the bead I would think that it’s pretty much at the center. Carving a bit of the same slope to the inside of the bead that’s already on the inside, for 1.5 - 2 cm should do it.

Well, there is a steel wire to stop the blade if you completely lose the control of your muscles. As long as you keep some sense in what you’re doing, I think you’ll be perfectly fine!

Welp... I tried it. The wire for this tire’s bead is right at the edge. I don’t think I can cut any further than this, and all I did was effectively bald it. Don’t know if this was the best idea. Hopefully this won’t cause any more problems... :unsure:

EDIT: yeah, that did pretty much nothing.  The good news is is that it doesn’t feel LESS stable... Gonna take it apart sometime this week I guess. Back to square one. Fuck.

15A93614-8ED9-4B7B-886F-44D4CA4C0769.jpeg

Edited by rexdelmolvo

26 minutes ago, rexdelmolvo said:

Welp... I tried it. The wire for this tire’s bead is right at the edge.

Damn. I was so sure that there would be a few mm of shaveable rubber on top. I’m sorry for my useless idea! As I said, that’s what I would’ve done as well.

The good news is though that unless you decide to drill the valve hole in the rim, I’m all out of (bad) ideas! :facepalm:

3 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Damn. I was so sure that there would be a few mm of shaveable rubber on top. I’m sorry for my useless idea! As I said, that’s what I would’ve done as well.

The good news is though that unless you decide to drill the valve hole in the rim, I’m all out of (bad) ideas! :facepalm:

Ahaha, it’s all good. I appreciate all of the help. I’m gonna take it to a bike shop on Wednesday and hope I can convince them to help despite it being motorized.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I never followed up with how I fixed this for those who have a similar issue: the inner tube was the problem. Something about it was slightly too bulky near the valve stem. The bike/motorbike shops I took it to would not even touch the thing. I replaced the tube, completely re-did the tire change process, and it fixed everything. Nikola's perfect these days.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 12:12 AM, rexdelmolvo said:

I never followed up with how I fixed this for those who have a similar issue: the inner tube was the problem. Something about it was slightly too bulky near the valve stem. The bike/motorbike shops I took it to would not even touch the thing. I replaced the tube, completely re-did the tire change process, and it fixed everything. Nikola's perfect these days.

Are you now going to offer a service ot do this for others? :lol: How much will you charge? :roflmao:

Edited by WasDevNull