Does anyone on here call EUCs "yukes" like wikipedia claims?

mhpr262

I stumbled across the entry for EUCs on wikipedia and it says the name is sometimes pronounced "yukes". I have never heard that anywhere, although I have to say I kinda like it. "Electric unicycle" is a clumsy name and "EUC" as an initialism (its, strictly speaking, not an acronym unless it forms a new word, like radar or laser) somehow looks and sounds very uncool.

I just can't do "yukes." All I can think about when I hear that way of saying EUCs is "youts" from the movie my cousin vinny. I am really not a fan of calling it electric unicycle either. It's too long. But that's what I say to people who have no idea about EUCs because It gets the idea across instantly without further explanation. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, scubadragosan said:

When people ask me what is that, I tell it is a SBA (senior mobile assistant). Of course, you have to be seniors (age 60-65 depends on your location) to say that. I feel good and proper to say that. It gives others the impression that I am not wheeling around just for fun or to annoy others. But I am a proud senior appreciating/making use of this modern invention to get around and at the same time promoting its potential use for other seniors. Preferably, they learn to ride them before they are too seniors :)

One time I and my wife went to Angel Island in San Francisco which has ban the use of EUCs. But as we landed by boat on the island, the ranger said "sorry, these are not allowed." I proudly said we are seniors and we are exercising our ADA Title 3 which allows us to use these as our senior mobile assistants due to our un-discloseable  medical condition. Actually, both of us have bad knees. It would have taken us 8 hours or longer to walk/explore the island, but on wheels, only took 2 hours to finish this grand tour. 

It's ironic for others to see that these wheels are senior mobile assistants because they do appear a little scary to ride even for non-seniors. But that's what they are and that's the purpose they serve for us. Thanks the inventor, Shane Chen!

That's brilliant...love it!

Also, anyone know why the term "eWheel" wasn't used for these? Too...generic? Can't think of a more fitting name for an electric wheel.

Edited by manieuc

It's usually a brand name or an acronym that catches on.

Unfortunately, Segway's have moved on and Gotway's (or the even worse alternatives) - not too catchy.

EUC isn't much to work with... It sorta sounds like "you-see" (but not quite.)

It could easily be Li-EUC, which sounds like "lew-see" or simply "lucy", but... (where was I going with this)? :confused1:

• Like 1

That is how I pronounce EUCs in my head when I see it written by someone else (though I think if it as more like the start of eucalyptus than "yukes", it has too obvious of a pronunciation to be an initialism to me), but I never actually call them that - I say "my wheel" or "wheels" or "unicycles"

Maybe 'yukes' is catching on, I dunno. (Probably the best we can do with only 3 letters.) Among ourselves we tend to say 'wheel' (in singular form); but I'm still waiting to see what name the media comes up with...

1 hour ago, KiwiMark said:

Hard No.

Agreed! I call it an EUC if someone asks. If they say 'whats that', i call it by it's proper name "electric unicycle". I don't feel much need to reinvent a phrase that has already been applied to the product.  If im being lazy and a person knows what it is, I simply call it my 'wheel' singular. As in... "im going to take my wheel for a ride". Yukes reminds me of yanks. Or as @BruceCLin said... something a slicked up vinny would say.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 8:14 PM, BFE Duke said:

How about "uni" ? It's 2 syllables, super easy to spell & type out, and everyone knows what you're talking about. And it doesn't rhyme with puke. 

Hmmm, username doesnt check out.

• Like 1

Thinking about this . . . 

To someone that doesn't know about EUCs: "This is a Yuke".  Reply: "It's a what now?"  It is pointless telling someone about your yuke if they don't know what a yuke is.

To someone that knows about EUCs:  "I was riding my yuke". Reply - "Your what?" With a fellow EUC rider you can just refer to it as your wheel, they will understand.

Basically, whoever you are talking to may or may not know what you mean when you talk about your 'wheel' but definitely won't know what you mean if you talk about your 'yuke' because that isn't a word anyone uses. Unfortunately unicycle or monowheel are each 3 syllables and there just isn't a really good short name that everyone would instantly understand as meaning a single wheel vehicle.

• Like 1

isnt a yuke a small guitar already? I say I'm grabbing my yuke, and my musician friends will ask when I started to learn to play one of those too :D   wikipedia is full of shit.

On 10/14/2020 at 5:41 PM, mhpr262 said:

I have to say I kinda like it.

In contrast to mango or spinach, EUC's are NOT yucky. ;)

#####

We in Poland have a similar problem with naming:
monocykl == EUC
motocykl == bike

Still, there are no better alternatives, so "monocykl" it is. B)

Edited by atdlzpae

I also use "uni" when asked on the go. "Electric unicycle" in static conversation. "Yukes" don't sound right. 'not too sure but me thinks wiki made that up.

Edited by Surfling
additional text
  • Like 1

I've heard "yuke" in at least a few Youtubes about EUCs, and this pronunciation seems common on Portland, Oregon group rides, where proximity to Inventist of course lends Authority :-). Aaron Chapman started a thread in the ElectricUnicycle Facebook group proposing this as the standard pronunciation, and out of that thread one participant made a Wikipedia edit giving the pronunciation as "yuke." I edited that edit to qualify "sometimes" as controvertible. https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/3361005220664084

Personally I like yuke more than EE-YOU-SEE, and electric unicycle is never ever going to become colloquial. Sure it rhymes with puke, and Urban Dictionary says yuke is synonymous with puke, but see also cuke, duke, luke, nuke. Keep writing it EUC or euc so you can write "a euc" instead of "an EUC" which forces pronunciation of the individual letters. Euk? Cycle is just Latin for the greek Kuklos. 

Co-inventor Trevor Blackwell called his a Eunicycle, pronounced just like unicycle, which everybody now agrees is not the right association. But keeping the "you" sound of UE meaning good as in euphoric, (e)utopia etc. is good right?

Wheel is too ambiguous to be the main name. It's taken. Euc/euk is novel, not likely to be mistaken for a ukulele in context, the way "wheel" could mean bicycle or some other wheeled thing, cars already called "wheels" (plural).