Anyone using armored pants?

I am really starting to dislike knee guards, I have a few pair including the Leatts but I find them really uncomfortable. Also I usually wear padded shorts, which I don't mind.

Thinking of replacing both pieces with a pair of armored pants. Can anyone recommend some that are on the cheaper side (under $150)? Are they somewhat comfortable?

I use armored mesh pants. They are the bees knees in comfort and ease. My biggest issue is they arent magic and i still have to take the few moments to put them on. They unzip so I can put them on over shoes, but its still just too much effort for me. Another issue is mesh is cold in winter. Glorious in summer tho. I have knees and hips installed (d30) in them.  I dont have any decent pics of me in them (of coure i dont), but i do wear them in a vid or two. I think my last sherman ride to the gas station, I bothered to fully 'kit' up. Olympia made mine, my mother had to hem them to fit my gumby ass. They are supposed to be 'motorcycle' pants, but i think they are pretty minimal for that. Tho I dont care much at all, so they are for my supermoto too. Pants that dont fit = pads that move = pointless.  For more protection, I can remove the d30 in the pant knees and wear my scott d30 kneepads under. Kneepads that strap tight to your skin are still more safety than fitting pants with pads. Worthy compromise sometimes tho. Forget about worrying if the pants COME with d30, your choices will be limited. Just be sure they come with pockets for pads, and invest in d30 (not micromesh, d30 brand!) to fit. Expensive yes, but i move my d30 from summer to winter jacket and I'll more than likely buy some winter pants and do same swap with them and mesh. Not sure tho, I was contemplating that last night. Maybe I should by some badass redneck coveralls and just wear them bitches over my mesh pants. Hi thermal coveralls are more a lifesaver in winter than a cell phone in my book. We keep a pair in every car. I call it my 'walking blankets'...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

I asked the same question a few weeks ago Leatt dual axis are unpractical, they keep sliding down, and not low profile... 

Its difficult to have a final opinion on these till u take a spill. The problem is you need to have the knee pads fit perfectly and not slide easily. So far ive only found this with slim jeans and they aren't easy to find as well. I dont see how non slim pants can be protective on the knees. For the hips they seem to always fit well tough. Im also open to suggestions... 

Edited by Ronin Ryder

I found these jeans on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Riding-Protect-Equipment-VES6/dp/B07Y2W76HQ/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=moto+jeans+men+pads&qid=1603041397&sr=8-9

Flex Jeans with removable knee and hip pads.

Search Amazon for "Padded Moto Jeans Men" or women. 

Reasonably priced

1 hour ago, I_Must_Bust said:

I have these. I don't know where to get them now though... They style is relatively slim but not tight and they look like regular jeans.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NB9LJ0G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If only looking for the casual Jeans look, perhaps these may work. If interested in D3O material, my wife and I are currently scoping this type of gear as well.

Edited by The Dude

37 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If only looking for the casual Jeans look, perhaps these may work. If interested in D3O material, my wife and I are currently scoping this type of gear as well.

The ones I linked didn't come with D30 but they did come with CE armor and pockets where you could insert some D30 if you wanted it. Doesn't look like the ones you linked have armor pockets

• Like 2

Has anybody had the armor pockets altered in their pants? I decided to upgrade to d30 and the pockets don't fit my new pads. Thinking maybe a tailor could just do it for me. I could cut the armor but I'd rather hold onto the extra coverage

Edited by I_Must_Bust
  • Like 1

If you had unlimited money,  the ultimate solution would be to fly over to San Marcos, CA to visit Motoport USA and get custom-fitted for armored pants, shirt, jackets, etc. They'll even alter your armor if you gain/lose weight. And if you get into a crash and they can't repair your gear, they'll replace it for free.

Seems super expensive, but if I could own just 1 set of armor that fits perfectly every time, I think it'd be worth it. It would be cheaper to measure myself and send them the data, but I don't trust my tape-measuring skills.

1 hour ago, rogueone said:

If you had unlimited money,  the ultimate solution would be to fly over to San Marcos, CA to visit Motoport USA and get custom-fitted for armored pants, shirt, jackets, etc. They'll even alter your armor if you gain/lose weight. And if you get into a crash and they can't repair your gear, they'll replace it for free.

Seems super expensive, but if I could own just 1 set of armor that fits perfectly every time, I think it'd be worth it. It would be cheaper to measure myself and send them the data, but I don't trust my tape-measuring skills.

seems a little excessive for a 'vehicle' that never sees the other side of 55mph doesnt it? Motoport makes epic racing gear, I've been down that road before. There's an outif in Florida does the same. I just dont think an euc compares to what is required of racing bike perfomrance. You do compromise a LOT for comfort when you gear up too much. Theres many tailors around that could probably take in or let out some generic armor pants. Having someone add some pockets to hold armor would be easy, you just have to have VERY baggy pants. Buys some MC hammer pants and put that sotckpile of tp to use? :)

• Like 2

If one truly wants all weather full protection & don't mind looking dorky (kinda IMO), may I suggest the Aerostitch Roadcrafter one piece suit. I have one for >20yrs now for motorcycling & gosh by golly, I still have it. It's super durable, easy zip on/off over anything (t's&shorts/jeans, sweaters, biz suits or even your birthday suit😉). Its fully armored with a choice of hard or soft(er) armor & is also goretex lined waterproof.

Besides the eye of the beholder looks, I find it somewhat non optimal for the hotter summer days although it does have zip outs for air flow. But for those (me included) living in temperate climes, this suit is as practical & as safe as it gets. Since its designed for motorcycle category wipeouts, EUC crashes will be a cakewalk including anti-roadrash protection.

Not cheap & IMO not the prettiest but for those into dual hobbies or even just wheeling, this suit is all one needs for all year riding besides a FF helmet, wristguards/armored gloves & shoes/boots ofcos.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

If one truly wants all weather full protection & don't mind looking dorky (kinda IMO), may I suggest the Aerostitch Roadcrafter one piece suit. I have one for >20yrs now for motorcycling & gosh by golly, I still have it. It's super durable, easy zip on/off over anything (t's&shorts/jeans, sweaters, biz suits or even your birthday suit😉). Its fully armored with a choice of hard or soft(er) armor & is also goretex lined waterproof.

Besides the eye of the beholder looks, I find it somewhat non optimal for the hotter summer days although it does have zip outs for air flow. But for those (me included) living in temperate climes, this suit is as practical & as safe as it gets. Since its designed for motorcycle category wipeouts, EUC crashes will be a cakewalk including anti-roadrash protection.

Not cheap & IMO not the prettiest but for those into dual hobbies or even just wheeling, this suit is all one needs for all year riding besides a FF helmet, wristguards/armored gloves & shoes/boots ofcos.

I had them send me samples and tried one on. You must live in a cooler climate, as I found them to be absurdly warm for the South. Great quality, great service, and hand made usa pricing tier. Best of the best for an all weather touring motorcycle suit, IF you don't mind looking like a total tard.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I had them send me samples and tried one on. You must live in a cooler climate, as I found them to be absurdly warm for the South. Great quality, great service, and hand made usa pricing tier. Best of the best for an all weather touring motorcycle suit, IF you don't mind looking like a total tard.

Yup I hail from the Great White North & Florida type muggy hot days are about 2weeks/yr on average. Even then, the nights go down to the teens (Celsius). As mentioned they aren't optimal for the deep South but then, one can literally just wear only board shorts (or not😳) inside. With full airflow zipouts, its actually not that bad so long as one's moving. 

Far's looks goes, I find the mx armor jackets pretty ridonculous as well. As you say, this is likely the best for an all weather suit with full protection & likely, you wouldn't even damage it if you eat it on EUC wipes. If there's damage, I think they provide a repair service as well.

This is for those truly dedicated to safety & convenience esp for those commuting in biz suits. Besides that, the bonus is this is also a one time buy which should last for 1/2 a lifetime by my estimation.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

seems a little excessive for a 'vehicle' that never sees the other side of 55mph doesnt it? Motoport makes epic racing gear, I've been down that road before. There's an outif in Florida does the same. I just dont think an euc compares to what is required of racing bike perfomrance. You do compromise a LOT for comfort when you gear up too much. Theres many tailors around that could probably take in or let out some generic armor pants. Having someone add some pockets to hold armor would be easy, you just have to have VERY baggy pants. Buys some MC hammer pants and put that sotckpile of tp to use? :)

Thanks for the reply. 

I make no claims about what or how much armor people should wear, let alone what people should wear at any measure of speed. It's up to riders themselves to decide how much to gear or how fast to go. But like you said,  "Pants that dont fit = pads that move = pointless", and I just mentioned Motoport for people who may have never known that armor like pants, shirts, and jackets could be custom-made. 

I actually love your videos, but based on how much armor you wear, where you live, and that you listen to The Piano Guys, I'm surprised you even wear pants in your videos.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rogueone said:

I actually love your videos, but based on how much armor you wear, where you live, and that you listen to The Piano Guys, I'm surprised you even wear pants in your videos.

I'm versatile. I can wear full race leathers, mesh light wear, or just street clothing. I also listen to heavy metal from the 80's, rap from the 90's, hair bands, classical and edm. Only thing i dont do, is listen to Jazz and ride naked.  If i lived in cold climate and liked to race an euc on the street, I perhaps would don a full suit. Hell, enough layers like where Elliot rides and you bounce like a pillow I bet. Most of those race suits focus on hi speed slides. Custom gear is pretty awesome, and for the commuter that wears a bizz suit... not a bad idea for sure(tho youll wrinkle).  The OP was wondering about armor pants, I'd imagine a full suit falls into this category. It seems like some people are looking at the euc as if it was a motorcycle. If I was doing off roading, I'd probably look more into motocross and sacrifice comfort for layers of plastic. Damn its so nice to have so many options. Too bad there's never 'one to rule them all".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottie888 said:

Phew 1.3k is more than I'm willing to pay (more than my wheel). I think I'm at around 400 for two sets of gear one hot weather and one cold weather plus whatever the tailor charges (dropped it off today). If I rode a motorcycle I'd go for it though. Not counting a helmet that I already had.

14 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I'm versatile. I can wear full race leathers, mesh light wear, or just street clothing. I also listen to heavy metal from the 80's, rap from the 90's, hair bands, classical and edm. Only thing i dont do, is listen to Jazz and ride naked.  If i lived in cold climate and liked to race an euc on the street, I perhaps would don a full suit. Hell, enough layers like where Elliot rides and you bounce like a pillow I bet. Most of those race suits focus on hi speed slides. Custom gear is pretty awesome, and for the commuter that wears a bizz suit... not a bad idea for sure(tho youll wrinkle).  The OP was wondering about armor pants, I'd imagine a full suit falls into this category. It seems like some people are looking at the euc as if it was a motorcycle. If I was doing off roading, I'd probably look more into motocross and sacrifice comfort for layers of plastic. Damn its so nice to have so many options. Too bad there's never 'one to rule them all".

I specifically wanted stuff that looks like mostly normal clothes so I can go around more places without people asking my where I left my bike or why I have a suit of armor on -- so I went for an armored hoodie and those plain looking armored jeans. To the untrained eye I just look a bit lumpy instead of "geared up". For hot days I'll roll with skate knees, elbows, and wrists and just ride a bit slower.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I was mostly trying to be funny with the no pants comment. :D

Like the OP I'm striving for plainclothes armor. Thankfully I have family in CA so I do plan to stop by Motoport someday and get a hoody and a pair of jeans custom made.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rogueone said:

I was mostly trying to be funny with the no pants comment. :D

Like the OP I'm striving for plainclothes armor. Thankfully I have family in CA so I do plan to stop by Motoport someday and get a hoody and a pair of jeans custom made.

If I lived near a custom tailor, it would be a no brainer. Buy jeans that fit loosely and have d30 pockets sewn in. Keep it cheap enough and you can just buy more when they look ratty. Hell, I have a sewing machine, maybe I should see what I can come up with. I think that impact protection is more a focus than slide. Of course, we want comfort, cost effective, and plain look too. How odd that there isnt any obvious choices. Its hard to beat scott knee pads and loose jeans, for cost, effective and plain look. Its honestly not too bad to put knee pads on, IF you get some that are worth a shit.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Phew 1.3k is more than I'm willing to pay (more than my wheel). I think I'm at around 400 for two sets of gear one hot weather and one cold weather plus whatever the tailor charges (dropped it off today). If I rode a motorcycle I'd go for it though. Not counting a helmet that I already had.

I specifically wanted stuff that looks like mostly normal clothes so I can go around more places without people asking my where I left my bike or why I have a suit of armor on -- so I went for an armored hoodie and those plain looking armored jeans. To the untrained eye I just look a bit lumpy instead of "geared up". For hot days I'll roll with skate knees, elbows, and wrists and just ride a bit slower.

I wear these they are excellent  and comfortable  i have them on under my jeans on most of my videos

Screenshot-20201029-073231-Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

If I lived near a custom tailor, it would be a no brainer. Buy jeans that fit loosely and have d30 pockets sewn in. Keep it cheap enough and you can just buy more when they look ratty. Hell, I have a sewing machine, maybe I should see what I can come up with. I think that impact protection is more a focus than slide. Of course, we want comfort, cost effective, and plain look too. How odd that there isnt any obvious choices. Its hard to beat scott knee pads and loose jeans, for cost, effective and plain look. Its honestly not too bad to put knee pads on, IF you get some that are worth a shit.

I considered this as well but went for the moto jeans since they were only around $40 on the sale when I found them. When they wear out I'll probably bring them as a guide for what I need when I visit the tailor with a regular pair.

Could you link those please? I might give them a go

For the price these are really good and you can't tell your wearing them

You might have to search your country 

MCW Gear Body Armour Skiing Skating Snowboards Motocross Motorcycle Protection Trousers https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SX9LL2G/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_zHjLFbQ7B0B99

Hope it helps

• Like 1