recommendation for off road heavy driver, and extreme steep hills

checho

Hi I need some recommendations for my next unicycle, I currently live in the USA but I have an off road house in Mexico.

The hill measured using Android inclinometer app measures 17 degrees at its peak, it is part pavement and part dirt, the dirt portion of the hill is about 14 degrees max, the distance is about 1 mile, the pavement at it most steep angle is about 17.

I weight 110kg, and sometimes carry a backpack of about 10Kg, making the total weight 120Kg.

For my safety, I will need the unicycle with the best climbing ability and due to the bad roads, most likely an 18" inch wheel is a must.

Battery packs are not the problem since i have seen both gotway and king songs available with large battery packs.

What I am concerned is with lack of power (not speed if I can get 10 KM/h safely I am happy or 20 KM/h unsafely), but for safety having acceleration is a must, and to be able to drive over small rocks of 2 inches  or smaller in diameter.

Currently I own 3 unicycles, ips 113, airwheel q3, and airwheel x8, I can drive the q3 fine, the single wheel I am getting better by the day, soon I will be able to drive them.

I tried the hill with the Q3 and it failed, it would not go up no even an inch at a 14 degree angle, at 7 degrees it works fine.

Most specs are based on a very light weight driver, so they are no helpful, based on the specs all my unicycles should be able to take me up a 14 degree hill but none of the ones I have can do that.

One thing that is often ignored is acceleration, for heavy people this is very important since on my q3 I had 2 faceplants already not because of driving fast but because of accelerating fast, in both cases I was going around 10 to 12 KM/h, well it is clear that with the q3 I can not accelerate fast due to lack of power, even though the motor its advertised as being 800w and it is a lot more powerful than the ips 113.

What would you guys recommend me?

I want most acceleration, most power.

if it can go fast it is a plus, but acceleration for me it is more important, and hill climbing is the most important feature that I need.

I keep seeing a king song advertised at some sites with a 1100w motor, and on alliexpress with a 1200w motor, but no mention of such motor of the official king song site, but I see a posting on their facebook page, and some posts on the internet with no details.

Does the king song 1100w or 1200w exist? or is it programmed to be released sometime soon.?

In regards gotway, the best they got is the 1000w ls ht type 3, are there plans to release a more powerful unit by gotway in the next few months?

in regards a large motor it is clear a large battery pack is needed, most likely I will get 680wh or larger.

I am not sure if gotway or king song will be able to handle 1 mile with 120kg up a hill 14 to 17 degrees for about 0.7 miles (0.3 are not very steep)  without overheating and safely.

1 miles = 1.6 KM

I would like to hear from someone that weights over 100kg and has taken either gotway or king song up steep hills on bad roads and tell me about the performance.

anyone with information of new releases from either gotway or king song?

If there is a unicycle with a powerful motor with a rated power of 1400w  or more being released  I would be willing to wait.

In the past I had a schiwn 1000 watt scooter and I managed to burn the motor on a moderate hill, for that reason to prevent that problem I would like the most power motor for the job, and I am not sure 1000w is enough.

All recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

There is a lot of confusion about power ratings because many manufacturers quote in peak power vs. sustained power. The King Song 14C with the 800W sustained motor can peak in the 3,500W range, which is about 2x higher than the most powerful Ninebot & 4x more than the Airwheel X8.

but any news in regards the king songs with nominal power rated at 1100watt or higher for 18 inch wheels? Will they be available sometime soon?

the peak power is very useful when going over a rock, or a short acceleration that's at most a few seconds in duration, but for going over a steep hill you need a strong nominal rated engine since a 10 to 15 minute drive driving at peak power will destroy a motor due to overheating.

for example 15 minutes at 3500 watts it is 875 watts which a lot of it is heat, a motor not design for that will fail, to survive that it needs to be designed for that type of use, and such a motor would most likely have a higher nominal rated power.

What I am saying if the 800w rated king song has a peak of 4 times its rated power, then for the 1100w king song that ratio should about the same, and the extra power it is always good for safety of both the driver and the unicycle specially true for heavy people on hills.

yes I agree many vendors advertise peak power instead of the rated power and it makes motors hard to compare, but the worst part is when the advertise range and hill climbing, they select for that purpose a 40kg or lighter person for their tests, and I believe the weight of the driver is proportional to the power of the motor,  for example if a 50kg driver needs a 500w rated motor to go up a steep hill, for that same hill a 100kg driver would need a 1000w rated motor, and a 200kg  driver would be out of luck since 2000watt rated motors do not exist yet, the proportion is linear and an approximation since there are a lot of factors.

• 2 weeks later...

it was a tough decision, and I hope it was the right one.

I was trying to decide between a gotway 18 high torque 1000w, or the new kingsong 1100w since as of now they are what appear as the most powerful unicycles.

I have recently ordered the new kingsong 1100w motor with a 1360wh battery pack, I will provide an update once I get it.

plus I like the idea of a unicycle better than a hover board.

2 hours ago, checho said:

it was a tough decision, and I hope it was the right one.

I was trying to decide between a gotway 18 high torque 1000w, or the new kingsong 1100w since as of now they are what appear as the most powerful unicycles.

I have recently ordered the new kingsong 1100w motor with a 1360wh battery pack, I will provide an update once I get it.

plus I like the idea of a unicycle better than a hover board.

Where did you order from? What country you in? good luck, hope your EUC arrives soon!

I ordered the 18in Kingsong 800W motor (591Wh battery) and I weigh 105kg. I am also 6'1" and the Kingsong's performance is great up all of the hills I have ridden. This is my 3rd day riding it, I have fallen once, but I had protection. I rides smooth, it's powerful and fast. However, I don't believe I am getting the 50-60km distance as advertised. I am clocking it around 45-50km. I think it has to do with me being a heavier guy^^ These devices were made in Asia and the people here (currently living in South Korea) have smaller body frames than we do. 

My weight is 73kg, the steepest hill I climb with my MSuper2 MS(type 2) is 22 degrees. The drag force is therefore sin(22)*(74+18)=34.5kgf
DSC02258s.jpg.20753c96181ecfaa342ebea1e9

The steepest hill I climb with my IPS 122 is 27 degrees. The drag force is therefore sin(27)*(73+17)=40.9kgf
Screenshot_2015-05-07-13-45-25.thumb.jpg

In order to climb 17 degrees slope for 138kg total weight(EU included), the drag force of sin(17)*138=40.4kgf is needed. EUs that can produce this kind of drag may include: IPS 122, Lhotz, 9bot1 P, RW16, RW12, MCM4, MSuper type3.

18" motors for SBU, Extreme, MSuper2 MS and regular KS18 are the same(at least from appearance). Motors of KS18 special edition are different as pics below:
P1050776s.jpg.19d4f1226f1253cb21e2ba9a27
Although the motor is more powerful(rated 1100W or 1200W) and thicker, I presume it's high speed, low torque type.

On 12/20/2015 at 3:34 AM, Tom said:

Where did you order from? What country you in? good luck, hope your EUC arrives soon!

I ordered directly from the factory, from Tina, she is very good at communicating and replies to all the emails.

I also hope it arrives soon I was told it would ship after Christmas, and then an estimated delivery of 15 to 20 days, the slow delivery is due in part on restrictions of batteries by airlines.

I will do a review of the KS-18A once it arrives.

On 12/21/2015 at 5:21 AM, zlymex said:

My weight is 73kg, the steepest hill I climb with my MSuper2 MS(type 2) is 22 degrees. The drag force is therefore sin(22)*(74+18)=34.5kgf
DSC02258s.jpg.20753c96181ecfaa342ebea1e9

The steepest hill I climb with my IPS 122 is 27 degrees. The drag force is therefore sin(27)*(73+17)=40.9kgf
Screenshot_2015-05-07-13-45-25.thumb.jpg

In order to climb 17 degrees slope for 138kg total weight(EU included), the drag force of sin(17)*138=40.4kgf is needed. EUs that can produce this kind of drag may include: IPS 122, Lhotz, 9bot1 P, RW16, RW12, MCM4, MSuper type3.

18" motors for SBU, Extreme, MSuper2 MS and regular KS18 are the same(at least from appearance). Motors of KS18 special edition are different as pics below:
P1050776s.jpg.19d4f1226f1253cb21e2ba9a27
Although the motor is more powerful(rated 1100W or 1200W) and thicker, I presume it's high speed, low torque type.

I think you are correct based on the speed of the motor.

But what is most important is final torque. therefore the torque of this motor rated at 1100w even is it is HS, it might be similar to the gotway 1000W HT LS, by the simple fact that it has officially 10% more power, another factor in favor of KS-18A is the available larger battery pack.

When someone does a review, and does some uphill or accelerations tests with both a Gotway 1000W LS vs KS-18A 1100W we will know for sure which has actually more torque, for now my rough guess is that torque is most likely similar.

I think it would be great for someone that has the Gotway 1000w type 3 LS and a KS-18A 1100W to do a comparison of torque, and uphill climbing, it would also be great an speed test of Gotway HS 1000W vs KS-1100W, I think a scientific comparison would be great. In speed I believe the KS-18A 1100W is faster, in torque not so sure, but the differences are probably small.

Archived