Dang it! Farewell my wheeled friends :(

rainystateguy

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

:cry2:

Sorry for you!

Any chance you can fix this somehow and ride again?

Short of an exoskeleton suit, it's unlikely.   From what I understand it is somewhat reversible but its a slow process, and at 74 it is probably not going to happen in my case.

Edited by rainystateguy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, scubadragosan said:

rainystateguy, do you mind telling me how old are you? Just curious, osteoporosis usually is an elderly medical issue. I am 60 and wondering when it will hit me.

I just turned 74 at the beginning of the month. I didn't live a particularly health lifestyle which didn't help.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rainystateguy said:

Short of an exoskeleton suit, it's unlikely.   ...

I went to the adventure shop a few months ago for an exoskeleton, but they did not have any model in stock that I really liked. 

On the bright side, elder-care is a big business, a growth industry.  An electric-unicycle concern that broke into eldercare could blow the doors off a heretofore sleepy niche product.  Imagine the cost savings from bedbound oldsters careening down the linoleum hallways on one wheel instead of being pushed on four wheels, wearing out the linoleum faster.  You (the patient) would need to master making only the slight center-of-gravity shifts necessary to control speed.  Your bed would be on one wheel, always balancing.  Directly over you would be a giant brass bell swinging in all directions controlled by a microchip to counteract your center-of-gravity shifts while at rest.  When you want assistance, you whack the bell with your TV remote.

P.S.  A spry 74 year old may feel that this has been a change of subject.  However, the idea objectively is not worth its own thread and this is as good as any.

Edited by Toad
context
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lefteris said:

Hey, don't leave the Electric Vehicle world, choose something different, even hop into electric cars, at least you will get your "electric-fix" :P 

Great minds think alike.  In June I traded in my 2017 Chevy Volt for a 2020 Chevy Bolt, and today, even though it was raining all day I put an hour in riding around town on my e-bike.  I bought the bike just about a year ago and have put over 2,000 miles on it.  I am going to keep riding the bike.  I have no doubt that the chance of falling off that is a lot less than the EUC.

Edited by rainystateguy
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lefteris said:

Hey, don't leave the Electric Vehicle world, choose something different, even hop into electric cars, at least you will get your "electric-fix" :P 

yes, yes and a million times yes!

Have you looked into other 'safer' forms of pev? Time and age seem to be a cruel bitch. I am very sorry to hear about you having to give eucs up, but it aint over just yet! I'd be looking into a badass 'wheel chair"  (if you call it that, you can get away with bloody murder!). At any rate, be sure to find something else, as you can't let this take away your youth. Best of luck to you and hang out a bit, you can be a part of the group, you just arent a rider. Euc rider at heart is plenty! Maybe you have a joy of filming? Whatever you do, try to enjoy life as best you can and don't forget all those glorious years you've already spent living with less worry than is forced upon you now.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

yes, yes and a million times yes!

Have you looked into other 'safer' forms of pev? Time and age seem to be a cruel bitch. I am very sorry to hear about you having to give eucs up, but it aint over just yet! I'd be looking into a badass 'wheel chair"  (if you call it that, you can get away with bloody murder!). At any rate, be sure to find something else, as you can't let this take away your youth. Best of luck to you and hang out a bit, you can be a part of the group, you just arent a rider. Euc rider at heart is plenty! Maybe you have a joy of filming? Whatever you do, try to enjoy life as best you can and don't forget all those glorious years you've already spent living with less worry than is forced upon you now.

Thanks, Shane.  Before this bad news hit I had already figured that I would use the "my mobility device" excuse if I had ever been told "you can't ride that thing here".  :)  Being part of the scene as a non-riding participant is something I hadn't considered until you brought it up.  Thanks!  great idea. I do indeed like filming.  That would work.

• Like 1

I think your situation can help with the Advancement of this sport. 

For one, why euc is not as popular as it should be after all these years, it's because of the high risk of falling down. 

I think a more secure type of euc can be made, like with a 4 small tires in a barrel setup around the euc to prevent the user from falling. 

Why not, this way it will be more accessible for the young and old. 

Also you may try electric scooters they're less risky,never give up because of age. 

• Like 1

Congratulations on making a smart choice. 

So many people do not nowadays. 2 weeks after my son broke his clavicle in 4 places and had to had metal rods put in, he got back on his skateboard and twisted his ankle...some people just never learn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

Congratulations on making a smart choice. 

So many people do not nowadays. 2 weeks after my son broke his clavicle in 4 places and had to had metal rods put in, he got back on his skateboard and twisted his ankle...some people just never learn.

Well it did take me several days and a lot of mental gyrations to finally accept that no matter how much I didn't want to, I had to put the wheel away for good.   As far as your son, I am guessing that I have had quite a few more years to hone my decision making skills.  :)

Sorry to hear that, mate. But smart choice all around. Hope you're not too bummed out about it. You know what you CAN do though...get into VR, lol. If your body might get irreversibly damaged in a fall in real life, then fall in a video game that you're immersed in. (Im getting my first headset tomorrow and im a bit too excited, i apologize) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, seage said:

Sorry to hear that, mate. But smart choice all around. Hope you're not too bummed out about it. You know what you CAN do though...get into VR, lol. If your body might get irreversibly damaged in a fall in real life, then fall in a video game that you're immersed in. (Im getting my first headset tomorrow and im a bit too excited, i apologize) 

That's a great idea Seage.  I will have to take a look (pun intended).  Thanks!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear your unfortunate news, Rainstate.  As they say, getting old isn't for "sissies".  Which assumes you are older.  Apologies if you aren't.  I also some possibly unfortunate medical news recently.  More will be revealed.  But it has not impacted my ability to ride.  Hope you can find another safe activity you enjoy as much as the EUC.  Stopping is wise as bad falls can happen anytime on the EUC.