Finally as "one" with the wheel

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

The joy where you don't worry, you dont have to focus and you can just soak in the feeling while having your hands and eyes and ears free to once again enjoy everything else. Its like a freaking nature walk on steroids!

Amazingly, I just got back from a ride like that. I started at 3:30 AM and rode til 6 AM and owned the town, going anywhere I desired, like a breeze flowing around with no concerns for traffic or any other people related things. It was pure freedom.

Zen riding did not just click for me, it has been a slow evolution that culminated in this ride. I found myself flowing around with no concerns for obstacles in the dark because the the headlight was enough lighting for the subconscious reflexes that can now take care of things. The months of EUC conditioning of the legs, back and feet made the ride physically effortless.

I saw things that I've missed while riding during the day because attention has to be paid to all the people moving around in their cars and such. The focus was on the quiet world and not me trying to manage the crazy wheel around a crazy world.

I did not want to go home, but I am going on a big group ride today (maybe 10 people) and I wanted to be rested and charged up for that. 

@ShanesPlanet that was a nicely written piece about what most of us are looking for.  

• Like 2

The road mainly used for bicycles I use a lot for my commute and other stuff was paved this summer, still no lines painted, blacktop smooth as glass to ride; an EUC'ers dream I tell you!

I feel that way sometimes especially on a road I know is just perfect for the next few blocks, carving and then realizing you don't even need to think. You are at one with your wheel and fully enjoying the ride. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

The joy where you don't worry, you dont have to focus and you can just soak in the feeling while having your hands and eyes and ears free to once again enjoy everything else. 

Sadly, I have to admit that I have experienced this feeling only couple of times so far. 

But just to realize that this feeling is possible has kept me going all these years. So close but quite not there yet :) I tend to worry about things too much, I guess

So happy for you :D

-Z-

Edited by Zwheeler
typo
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Yes!  I remember it well, It was right before the wind pushed up the edge of a plastic net fence catching my pedal and sending me to the ground. :thumbup:

It is the same day that I felt that I was one with the asphalt. :angry:

haha, thats most excellent! I do believe I learned to become one with the pavement about the time I learned to walk. Asphalt just loves to try and join the party, doesnt it?

• Like 1

I used to experience that feeling when the EUC was what got me to work and back. However, and surprising to me, EUC's require a lot of practice to keep up the skill.

I did recently have a somewhat unpleasant experience that skyrocketed my skill level. I went up a mountain path that is only accessible with a Polaris 4 wheeler, and ended up riding and dismounting and dismounting/crashing every dozen feet or so. It was very difficult, especially going uphill. My GPS said 800 feet gain within 2 miles, dunno what that slope is.

Wrong tool for the job. I went back and got a Polaris, and it was ludicrously easy to climb those rocky paths.

• Like 1

I ain't there yet:(  I can get by without crashing and damaging equipment well enough but with only a total of around 300 miles at the 12 month mark, I'm not even close to where I need to be.  I'll continue to chip away at it:)

Edited by RetroThruster
  • Like 1

I find myself always in this state of mind "like water." When the mind in a state of purposeless or perhaps empty or be itself, it is not clogged and just flow. Lao-tzu, many Zen masters and Bruce Lee have mentioned something to this effect or effect to this something. Zen experience can spontaneously happen in anything that we do. Seek it, it may just disappear. Open the mind, but how do you do that without the purpose of opening the mind? To be or not to be, the famous Shakespeare quote, may share the same being here. Just be! (BTW, I am not on any drug :))

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 12:48 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

So, how many others of you have reached this first stage of Zen in your riding? Do you recall the moment it happened, or was it a slow noticeable achievement? How many of you know what I'm talking about, but are still working up to that point? I'm less than a year in on my euc's and have around 1,200 miles or so of short rides under me. I am a little surprised at how long it took to get here, but I'm also surprised that i got here. Honestly, I had forgotten that this was the goal, as I was having so much fun anyhow. I am enjoying it now in a comfortable way. Its almost enough to make me consider buying winter clothing...   Anyhow, just wanted to share, as it really is quite a sensation, or at least for me it is/was. I guess the next plateau is over confidence? I'm not too worried about that tho, as I've been practicing that brand of stupid since I got the wheel....

It's so funny you mention this, because I'm there 'now'. I'm only 5-6 weeks into learning, so each progression level has been extremely vivid for me. I don't think I've quite reached the "zen" level of the spectrum you're talking about of course, since I am barely over a month new, but I've reached the understanding that all the learning, fidgeting, bruises, swollen ankles, muscle soreness, etc -- has all been in an attempt to eventually become "one" with the wheel.

I'm there to the point where I can mount the wheel and ride off without even thinking about it anymore, which is amazing. As everyone knows, in the early stages, it is such a conscious effort and anxiety, nearly, to properly mount the wheel and takeoff, without falling or hesitating or hurting yourself, etc. Proud to say that now it's merely muscle memory and 2nd nature; same as doing spins, dips / carves, etc.

Another "zen" like level in addition to all of this, is simply learning the proper (new found) balance of what it takes not to fall off these things. Whereas I used to fall off from the slightest awkward angle, now I'm easily catching myself and barely ever dropping my wheel now. 

It really is amazing, and learning how to ride this wheel has brought me so much surprising joy in a lot of different mental / physical aspects of my life.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, LanghamP said:

However, and surprising to me, EUC's require a lot of practice to keep up the skill.

I don't want to side-track this great thread, but I have wondered about this. I thought it might be more like the cliche of 'never forgetting how to ride a bike'. Fortunately I have not had to take an extended break from EUC riding to find out.

Edited by Scottie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scottie said:

I don't want to side-track this great thread, but I have wondered about this. I thought it might be more like the cliche of 'never forgetting how to ride a bike'. Fortunately I have not had to take an extended break from EUC riding to find out.

read my mind. As soon as this was mentioned, I got worried. MOST things I learn, I can walk away from for YEARS and climb back into as if never a break was taken. I surely hope this also holds true for me with eucs, as winters can be hard and long sometimes... Ive been fortunate to get to ride at least weekly so far.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

15 hours ago, Scottie said:

Funny, I've thought the same thing, and im hoping it's the same concept....

I "think" it will be like getting back on a bicycle. Early on when I was able to mount successfully, if I had days between practice sessions, it would feel like I had to learn mounting and balance all over again, and re-build that confidence; really frustrating.

However, as I got better and better, I'd notice that days without practice weren't as bad at all, and I could simply hop back on like a bicycle and ride off.....

But yeah, no idea how not riding for months will fare. I live in CA, where winters aren't too harsh, but I know for sure i don't want to be riding in wet conditions. As long as it's dry, I'll be practicing and riding still, just with a coat!

15 hours ago, /Dev/Null said:

This happened for me at about ~ 200 miles.  The othe rday I was using my wheel to have some speed between colorful trees & take pictures.  I could slow way down, take the picture without really paying attenting at 10km/h or less and focus on taking photos without worrying.  It's a great feeing!

Yeah I'm right around the 200 mile mark too, where "zen" was seemingly reached! Hahah

• Like 1

I think I was there with my KS 16s. I received my Gotway Nikola about two weeks ago and haven’t ridden it much. I realize it’s an entirely different beast underfoot, and it’s going to take some miles to get comfortable on it. Every time I’ve gone out (3) I have been able to go a little faster and I noticed that if there’s an obstacle in my path I instinctively go around it, it’s getting it back to center that’s a little scary. I spend 3 months in Florida during the winter and that’s where I made the most progress on the 16s riding just about every day. I’m hoping to do the same with the Gotway if COVID doesn’t get in the way. 😕

• Like 1

I've had a few seconds here and there where I completely forget I'm on the wheel and I just feel like I'm floating along when I'm on fresh pavement. Unfortunately I take myself out of that the second I realize I'm still on the wheel. Loving the journey though, this has done wonders for getting me outside before winter hits, so glad I didn't wait until next year to start riding.

• Like 3

Wow, you guys that found the zen in 200 miles, are impressive. I used to think I picked things up quickly.... now I'm really starting to wonder if Im wrong about that too. Seems like the only thing Im getting better at quickly, is being wrong... 

10 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Wow, you guys that found the zen in 200 miles, are impressive. I used to think I picked things up quickly.... now I'm really starting to wonder if Im wrong about that too. Seems like the only thing Im getting better at quickly, is being wrong... 

I wouldn't say that!

To be more accurate, I was around 180 miles until I had "Zen", (or specifically what is probably just simply muscle-memory and confidence converging), but it literarily happened overnight for me, meaning just 1-2 sessions prior, I was barely reliable at mounting / dismounting, and takeoffs, and dropped my wheel at least several times during a session. Now? I barely drop my wheel, and when I do it's just for something completely random. I hate to sound cliche, but it's like what I lot of riders say where "one day, it just clicks!" I really felt that, and believe that's what a lot of us went through.

And again, I'm not at complete "zen"  mastery level of course, but what I feel is the first part of that spectrum, to where I don't have to consciously think about mounting and taking off much anymore, or dicey sharp, narrow turns etc. I feel like I just left beginner stage, and am entering intermediate stage, if that gives you any idea. I think a lot of you will know what I'm about to say, but it's the difference between looking like a total arms-flailing idiot on the wheel -- to resembling a natural, cool, confident rider, that knows what they're doing. Someone made a comment to me just yesterday and said "wow you're really good at that, I bet that took years to learn huh?" and I yelled out "oh man it's one of the hardest things I've had to learn, but it's only been about 6 weeks! I'm still learning!"

Overall, this short and extremely rewarding journey has me excited to know what it'll feel like after 1-2 years of riding!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MikieSWE said:

That Zen moment I remember quite well. I didnt realize what this was until few weeks later, I read a post where someone wrote about it. I had been riding my 16X for hmm, a total of 600-800 miles or something, and I went out one weekend with full charge to just my usual plan less riding here and there. I rode around town a while and got bored, due I have seen most of the places where the bicycle paths have been taken me. I was thinking of going north out of the town this time, so I went and way out I found some gravel roads and small roads along the shoreline. There was a lot of things to look at and I enjoyed the peacefulness, all the scenery and every moment so immensely so I just forgot that I was on a wheel. It wasn't there anymore. I just went freely where my mind took me. I still think about that moment sometimes. It struck me so hard. When I woke up I was in the other town 20 miles away, and my battery was depleted. I had to take the train back home again. When I sat in the train on my way back home, I was thinking wtf happened there? Totally gone into the moment. And I wont explain it, so its better not to do it again. Disconnected from the awareness, time and distance and all. I had a big long stretched minute of my life, from start to end. I was totally puzzled. When I read about it I was thinking, ok I am not alone with this weird thing, there are others. Im smiling when I write this because I remember it so well and that feeling... Happened couple of times after but not this hard impact as that first time. I wish everyone get a similar moment of  'nothingness' sometime when they use their wheel, it is good for the spirit, soul and mind. I promise. Cheers! :)

Fleeting moments of absolute joy. Great to read you had one of those moments too! I've only had the feeling ONE other time in my life. I was in college but traveling back home (100miles) to visit some friends. It was a beautiful fall day. I was in a shitty Nissan Pulsar (i had to push start it for a year and for a year after that, it had no clutch so I had to float the tranny and start the engine IN GEAR) with barely $10 in my pocket,  the top removed. Nothing that special, but I still recall that moment in time when everything just seemed perfectly imperfect. Just a country road with wind in my hair and wheat fields as my companions(not even a beer in my lap! -it wasnt murder back then). That was about 25 years ago and I recall it just like it was.... wait what was I saying? I wish I could bottle that emotion, it would sell faster and for more $$ than a mountain of snow. There aint a drug out there that's better. In fact, I think most of these drugs people like so much, are merely tapping into that same feeling. In many years from now, I bet you will still recall that trip when you had to take the train back. Even better, memory seems to cloud the negatives and embrace the positives. I just wish I knew how to make the stars align like that more often than every 20 years. Of course, maybe its rarity is it's blessing. I will say this.. once i figured out how to teeter in place and mount/dismount without looking, the sensation of being a part of the wheel, increased dramatically.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MikieSWE said:

When I woke up I was in the other town 20 miles away, and my battery was depleted.

Alien abduction? I have read on the dark web - they want the power from our li-on batts. Why do you think our cell phones discharge so fast! But for the big batts they have to beam you up to absorb the juice - they are not that great with the "transporter" though so on beam down they are + - 20miles horizontal accuracy.  Only way to protect against them is a tinfoil hat. I just line my ballcap with it and keeps me safe!

I felt that way, and then I realized how a faceplant could happen at any time and now I no longer feel that way :)

As much as I really enjoy riding, MSX is probably going to be my first and last big wheel, I will stick to small and slow wheels where falling off is not a recipe for disaster!

32 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

As much as I really enjoy riding, MSX is probably going to be my first and last big wheel, I will stick to small and slow wheels where falling off is not a recipe for disaster!

???
It makes little difference if you faceplant at 30km/h from MSX or from 16s. But you're more likely to crash on a bump riding a smaller wheel.

Edited by atdlzpae

On 10/15/2020 at 7:43 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

I will say this.. once i figured out how to teeter in place and mount/dismount without looking, the sensation of being a part of the wheel, increased dramatically.

I cant still do this properly. Seems I sux :(