New EUC for small people

2 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I'd be worried the MCM5 would be too squirrely for me - maybe the larger tyre would compensate but I don't know.

@RetroThruster gave me the opportunity to ride his MCM5. I was surprised. I think it was actually less squirrelly than the 16s. I think that the heavier motor and tire make the difference. Also with the wider tire you can drop the pressure a bit and have better contact with the road resulting in less squirrels 🐿. 
I don’t think that the Tesla or MCM5 can take the abuse that the KS16S can but if I HAD to ride one cross country I would pick the MCM5 over the KS16S.  The Tesla V2 would of course would be even better.
Wider tires make a big difference on the smaller wheels. On the bigger wheels 3 inches wide is enough. The Giro force eventually gets to be too much at some point.  

• Like 2

@darki

tl;dr I think you'll be happy with the 16X, I certainly am.

I'm also brand new to the forum and am about 2 weeks in learning... I'm in the same weight class as you, tipping the scales at 52kg fully geared out. Like you, the weight of the EUC was a real concern, both for being able to get it up stairs and being able to control it. 22kg of dead weight is near the limit of what my back wants to deal with.

And I chose the KS16XS. Because... I can lug 22kg around for short distances (longer distances I'll look for someone with a younger and stronger back). I wanted newer electronics because these things get better as the manufacturers iterate. I wanted more than 1 hour of fun before having to stop and charge. The physics of balancing the wheel are more about where your weight is than it is about how much weight you're throwing around. I went with the half battery S because my lower weight requires less instantaneous power from the wheel so I'm not losing too much safety margin, especially with the big motor (I think for me max emergency power will ultimately be limited by battery, not motor). I also figured my lower weight would give me a few more km than it will a more generously sized rider so while I lose half the range of the full X, I've probably got enough range to have me tired before the battery is flat. And it was $500USD cheaper.

But the wheel is still heavy. One piece of advice is your gear. Wear a shin guard that will protect the inside of your legs nearly up to your knee. The wheel hits you there when you're riding and you'll get bruised. I use a hard plastic football/soccer shin guard twisted around so it has some protection for the front of my shin, but the bulk of the plastic is defending the upper part of my calf from the wheel. I also wear a hard ankle brace because I sprained an ankle on day 3 during an awkward unplanned dismount. DO wear something that protects your ankle bones... an EUC has been referred to as an ankle monster and for good reason… the pedals were born to take a chunk out of your ankle and shin.

One real 'downside' to being a bantamweight is that acceleration/deceleration is muted—because I don't have the weight to throw around, my acceleration is gentle and gradual and I have to plan longer stopping distances (or squat, which is inelegant but effective). Power pads would probably help, but that's a distant glimmer in my eye (imagine how much quicker off the line 52kg would be).

Range of the XS. I've got 30km of mounting immediately followed by falling down (but probably 15km of that is solid riding on level ground, first alarm at 14km/hr so pretty dang slow) and the battery is down 20%. And no, that won't extrapolate to 150km range... but 60km seems like a reasonable expectation.

I have a bodyguard on it because you don't want to try to catch this thing, it's heavy and strong. let it fall. So far the bodyguard has held up very well through some pretty crazy crashes—my trolly handle has gouges out of it from going *** over teakettle on more than one occasion (due to panic inducing rider to dismount prematurely).

Edited by Tawpie
grammar correction, and wordsmithing
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, RockyTop said:

The 16s is a great wheel. ...... but,.............. It is more like a MTen3 for me at 6’3” 220.

That’s funny :laughbounce2: and it shows how different our needs are.
@all: thanks for your input. @Tawpie welcome to the forum from newbie to newbie ;) and for your long post and your experiences with the KS16XS. 

@mike_bike_kite and UniVehje: thanks for your views on V10F. That also could be a good choice. Know I have to make a decision. I will let you know which wheel I choose and how happy I am with it. Have a nice day.

• 6 months later...

It is done. I bought the KS16X. I am happy with it.I love the fact that I can ride for hours now and long distances aren‘t a problem any more. But I also love the small wheels and I think my next one will be the MCM5 - just for fun and becauce I am addiccted to EUC‘s :facepalm:

Thanks to all of you for your advises and always a save ride :thumbup:

• Like 3

How could I forget this sweet, little thing :wub:  
Yes, I know, the KS16x will not be my last EUC :D

But for now, I am happy. And now I go out and ride for 40 km to get some food for the weekend. :lol:

We have 1+ Celsius - so I should dress up warmly.

• Like 1

@darkiat some point, please post an update on your 16x ride opinions. I bought one about a month ago and I'm just a tad bigger than your reference stat. 

Like you, I was also initially drawn to the 16XS  or MCM5. I took my time researching while the winter passes until deciding on the 16x and I think, a smart choice.

I'm really curious on your tire pressure or have you tried riding on various pressure settings?  

Edited by Surfling

• 1 year later...

@Surfling: sorry for the late reply, I was unfortunately very busy at work and the free time I used to ride my 16x :laughbounce2: I am really very happy with the 16x and glad that I chose the 16x over the MCM5. Regarding your question about the tire pressure: I prefer to ride the 16x with 37-40 psi. I think it drives great and sleek with this setup.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 6:56 AM, darki said:

@Surfling: sorry for the late reply, I was unfortunately very busy at work and the free time I used to ride my 16x :laughbounce2: I am really very happy with the 16x and glad that I chose the 16x over the MCM5. Regarding your question about the tire pressure: I prefer to ride the 16x with 37-40 psi. I think it drives great and sleek with this setup.

Dam 37-40psi at your weight. WTF... I weight 127kg(280lbs) and i ride at 28-30 psi normally.

I bet you can feel all the road bumps and what not, at that psi and your weight. I know it's own rider preference at what psi they ride. But goddamn i would never imagine someone light as feather riding at so high psi. :D One plus doh - you won't get pinch flats ever. :thumbup:

I personally prefer have more tire grip on ground. If i ride at 35+ psi, my tire middle only touches ground. Literally riding "knife's edge". 

Edited by Funky

I am of the opinion that you should buy newly released wheels, not the product that was launched three years ago, and the Kinsong 16X is the product of three years ago.

To compare with the weight of the wheels you are able to carry, you can consider the Kingsong S18. The weight of S18 and 16X are 22 KG and 24.5KG respectively. 

Edited by YCC

6 hours ago, YCC said:

I am of the opinion that you should buy newly released wheels, not the product that was launched three years ago, and the Kinsong 16X is the product of three years ago.

To compare with the weight of the wheels you are able to carry, you can consider the Kingsong S18. The weight of S18 and 16X are 22 KG and 24.5KG respectively. 

So many levels of wrong.. Best wheels are which are older. Technology doesn't change much in new vs old wheels. Almost all new wheels that have been recently released have first batch problems. T4/S22 motor slippage worst case examples.  Best thing one can do is buy an older, already tested/fixed wheel.

Axsample: My 18xl over time it got better shell, motor, pedals, lift switch. And now it's amazing - all bugs/kinks fixed.

Also about the weights.. 16x is 24.5kg and S18 is around ~27kg. (Real world not on paper.)

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Funky said:

S18 is around ~27kg. (Real world not on paper.)

I agree the point of buying an already tested wheel. Thanks for the reminder. Specifications of kingsong S18 show that the 1110W battery weighs around 25KG.  For all your information.

9ACE6EF3-0443-4085-9093-ECA9C2EDF804.thumb.jpeg.90bee6cfb39c5af54cd906609e17dbdc.jpeg

40 minutes ago, YCC said:

I agree the point of buying an already tested wheel. Thanks for the reminder. Specifications of kingsong S18 show that the 1110W battery weighs around 25KG.  For all your information.

9ACE6EF3-0443-4085-9093-ECA9C2EDF804.thumb.jpeg.90bee6cfb39c5af54cd906609e17dbdc.jpeg

And my wheel weights ~52lbs(23.5kg) by their numbers.. But in real life it's ~54lbs(24.5kg) Same for 16x they say 53lbs, but in real life it weighs the same as 18xl.

As for S18 "around" 25kg. Closer to 27kg in reality. You can check forum, people have weighted their wheels, if you don't believe me.

You at beginning said 22kg vs 27kg that's quite a difference. :) (Doh maybe the "new" batteries have made it lighter and now it really weights 25kg.. Who knows.) I still think it's closer to ~27kg, because same amount of cells.

Some manuals are more correct. Some less..

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1