Hit a wet patch of fresh tar, how the fuck do I get this crap off my tire?!

MrRobot

I actually think it is worse than tar it's the stuff they spread across the whole new road to seal it. Super liquid and rubbery. And of course I have a knobby tire so it got in every little groove.

I used wd40 to break down some of it and a brush but it killed the two brushes I was using. Probably got maybe half of it. Any better suggestions? 

Edit: I wanted to use this stuff but I was afraid it might damage the rubber on the tire... Think it'd be OK? 

20201008_131553-01.jpeg

Edited by MrRobot
  • Like 1

good old tire cleaner and just ride it. Brake cleaner works too. Theyll ALL dry out the rubber, but last i checked, we arent seeing premature tire failure from rubber/nylon degradation around here. What you got in your hand, hell I'd give a go. Simple Green seems mean enough to strip the skin from my hands, maybe itll work. The shop uses tire cleaner but i swear its primarily bleach(not for tar tho). In the end, 3m brake cleaner is the bee's knees on tar/oil, but its not to be underestimated and watch for overspray. Plain old dish soap for normal stuff, but that road glue is a mofo... Just toss some mean shit at it with a toothbrush and be sure to rinse throughly. IF you go the brake cleaner route, no need to rinse, but you may not like the way it leaves a dried look to the rubber. 3m BC will also ruin your rim finish, you have been warned.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

On 10/8/2020 at 8:43 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Plain old dish soap for normal stuff, but that road glue is a mofo...

There's this expanding foam stuff that you put in house cracks that is the most awful stuff to get on your hands.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N21KQ4I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_C1MGFbXM36EJN

They aren't kidding when they say use gloves.

• Like 1

Important is, that you act fast. The longer the tar stays on the harder it will be to remove it. As a first aid I would try it with butter. Sounds crazy 😝 but works wonder with tar if you work fast enough. It is cheap and also less damaging and dangerous to the environment as most chemical stuff. Anyway it is worth trying.  If butter does not work, you might want to have a professional do the job for you. They usually shoot dry ice pellets at the tar which shock freezes it and shoots it off bit by bit. It is also harmless to the environment and since it evaporates immediately it is not damaging your tire. But try the butter first. And do it as soon as possible. Good luck.

Here is some reference regarding dry ice blasting:  https://yourhealthandsafety.net/dry-ice-blasting/

And I also found this: He recommends peanuts butter or WD40: 

https://www.californiaautobodytracy.com/post/remove-tar-paint

Edited by Toshio Uemura

• 10 months later...

I've been doing Roof Repairs for 40 years.

Tar and Plastic Roof Cement head to toe on a daily basis.

First 20 years, I simply used Gasoline. Work great!!!

USE BABY OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let it soak 15 minutes and repeat several times as needed.

It is safe and mild.

End of discussion.

• Like 2