KingSong S18 Grip tape on pedal precaution.

NYC One Roll

Back on Sept. 17th I had an accident with my brand new S18 (25 miles on the ODO. I experienced a speed wobble at around 25 mph, and the grip tape from the pedal slashed my achilles tendon in half on my left leg. I am looking back at the pictures I took of the S18 pedal and I can see that my set the grip tape was hanging past the pedal. Unfortunately I was in a pair of low top sneakers, but I am just putting this out there for the rest of you S18 owners to check as well, so something similar does not happen to you. 

I wish You fast recovery.

there are two things to notice:

1- Grip tape is really not enough, especially if we think that S18 is kind of "offroad" wheel -  I almost fell from my S18 pedals when it was wet - they get slippery - I have immediately added screws to the pedals, but finally next week there will be NYLON pedals with stainless pins ready for S18  - check on the S18XL thread - I will post pics there.

2- Speed wobble are related to the tire pressure - as S18 is suspension wheel - people have tendency to pump the tire to 35 psi or higher - resulting in low contact surface of the tire with tarmac, which can lead to wobble especially when breaking.  Pump your tire to lower pressure  - For MSX I use 24 psi, so for S18 I have pumped it to 28psi.  Just be aware that such pressure does not allow to hit curbs with zero attention, also - tire + shock absorber working together offer much higher comfort. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lukasz said:

I wish You fast recovery.

there are two things to notice:

1- Grip tape is really not enough, especially if we think that S18 is kind of "offroad" wheel -  I almost fell from my S18 pedals when it was wet - they get slippery - I have immediately added screws to the pedals, but finally next week there will be NYLON pedals with stainless pins ready for S18  - check on the S18XL thread - I will post pics there.

2- Speed wobble are related to the tire pressure - as S18 is suspension wheel - people have tendency to pump the tire to 35 psi or higher - resulting in low contact surface of the tire with tarmac, which can lead to wobble especially when breaking.  Pump your tire to lower pressure  - For MSX I use 24 psi, so for S18 I have pumped it to 28psi.  Just be aware that such pressure does not allow to hit curbs with zero attention, also - tire + shock absorber working together offer much higher comfort. 

Thank you.

Good info on the tire pressure, definitely might have been the issue in my case with the speed wobble. I have already sold off the s18 after the crash.