Is it just me or is Inmotion a under rated EUC maker?

Roadpower

I'm only just beginning to ride a V10F but already there seems to be a night and day difference between it and the other wheels I have. I still can't ride my 18XL and while I like the Mten3 for portability it is a twitchy wheel. Which can be great when that is what you need or want. The V10F however is or seems to be a very well mannered wheel.

I know this is old for a lot of people considering how long the wheel has been out but I wanted to write about it because if anyone newer than myself to the hobby asks me, I'm going to point them to an Inmotion product. If I had my riding career to start over again, I would have started with a 14" Inmotion. Starting out the way I did put me back at least a year. I only blame myself for that but c'est la vie.

Edited by Roadpower
  • Like 2

I think it has to do with history and the pace of development. 

Limitation of what was possible to where we are today. This has put focus on speed and range. Now with are at a point where good enough vs comfort has seen a new breed of wheels where V11 is first out. 

I don't view the S18 in same context. As I were not really as a complete package. Imo. 

• Like 1

Yeah it is becoming pretty clear to me who caters to performance and who caters to having a very well manner wheel. It is an interesting dichotomy in industry tactics and one I can not fault anyone for as the different strategies are legitimate for their respective reasons.

But I have to wonder how many people have tried wheels and quietly walked away because they couldn't manage it and didn't realize that their wheel wasn't really entry level friendly. Thank goodness I have been determined to learn how to ride despite being a pretty poor beginner and making less than optimal wheel purchase decisions.

Again I blame nobody but myself. I'm just glad I found a good entry level point that works for me

Until the V11 Inmotion wheels had limited range, which excluded them from long distance / road trips. This left KS and GW, and I believe the same for quite a few people if post number on this forum is an indicator. There is nothing wrong with that, and it gave some nice light commuter wheels. The V5F is probably the most recommended entry level.

I'm all for competition and am glad Inmotion is getting relevant in the segment that interests me.

(BTW you bought a heck load of wheels for starting! Once you master one the others shouldn't be a problem. They will feel weird at first but that is normal, you adapt to the characteristics)

Edited by null
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, null said:

(BTW you bought a heck load of wheels for starting!)

Haha, yeah I did. :p I'm good with it though as my conditions turned out to be fussy.

If I had the knowledge then that I have now, I definitely would have started with a smaller Inmotion product. The Mten3 is still pretty good for me because I can quickly put it in a truck and get back to my local hub building after dropping off a truck at the mechanic''s shop. The 18XL however is still unused as I have yet to learn how to manage its bulk. I can ride it short distances but never with any confidence.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roadpower said:

The 18XL however is still unused as I have yet to learn how to manage its bulk. I can ride it short distances but never with any confidence.

I started out on a IM V8 and moved on to KS18L. I am a bit unsure if you mean the weight or shape or the tire that make the KS18XL bulky to you. 

Yep it weight more. Imo weight up to a limit is your friend. It gives stability (but could be viewed as bulky) same goes for rim size. If it hard to turn add a bit more air in could make more manoeuvrable. It is too twitchy letting out a bit of air might help. 

My thumb rule is to take your weight in kg diveded with tire width give you a rough nmber in PSi to go for. For an 18" maybe go down a little on a 16" maybe go up a bit. So I am 95kg so KS18XL would be around 35-38psi for me (95/2.5=38) . Since I have bad knees I would probably end up with 33-36psi.  And be careful with curbs (especially going up). 

I normally explain it as I don't like to ride as if tire feel like V. I prefer U sensation and /_\ is not good either as you risk rim damage. 

Now since KS18XL is a bigger rim it will likely not feel as nimble in acceleration as the V10f (I have that one too) but the KS18XL is a better long distance cruiser and more stable at higher speeds too. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, /Dev/Null said:

I find this post very interesting.  After starting on a v10 & now a Nik+ (approaching 2000km experience combined), I'm going to maybe try an mten3 and let @EVSteevie try out my v10, hopefully this coming weekend.  Hopefully @EVSteevie will have an easier time of learning on it as it shouldn't be so twitchy.  It should be an interesting experiment...

In fairness I'm getting used to the nature of the Mten3. Quick turns and rocking from side to side are getting progressively less intimidating. It's just so small that there isn't much body to brace against your calf (for an adult male) which is why I thought of it as twitchy. I still have not become proficient enough with it to mount and go without a nearby support to aid me mounting it. In time I'm sure I will overcome this.

8 hours ago, Unventor said:

I started out on a IM V8 and moved on to KS18L. I am a bit unsure if you mean the weight or shape or the tire that make the KS18XL bulky to you.

Mostly the weight. If I started with the V10F I think I would have not had that much of a problem going to a 18XL but my attempting to start out from scratch on one was basically me biting off more than I could chew. I'll likely be riding it later this year or early next year.