KS 14C 800W 680WH Mark III Arrived.

fearedbliss

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Wait until you have the potential of the Wheel unlocked, that 6-7mph makes an enormous difference! :)

Your report on the Mark III vs. the 9B1 P is insightful, because I think you're the first owner who owns both. Suspected the P wouldn't live up to the hype, simply because of the fact that it has less than half the battery capacity, which also translates into available power. 

I don't know if it's a case for the Wheel you bought, but for our requirements we have the low-voltage (out-of-battery) value set to 48 volts instead of the 54 volts which yields an extra 5-7 miles range.   

Don't get me wrong, the P is extremely powerful and honesty I believe that if one has a P or KS , they wouldn't need the other. They are both that good. However, the massive increase in battery that the KS provides, plus the other benefits are icing on the cake. When I first was riding the P, I literally thought that I wouldn't need the KS since it was fast, powerful, smooth, and can take higher impacts on the road due to the bigger wheel.

Only @KaleOsaurusRex would know what low voltage values the one I bought has.

@Gimlet ill try that today. I'm kinda scared to have no alarms though.. On the Ninebot One I didn't use the alarm since the tiltback was really nice. So I suppose I could do the same here. I just need to really get receptive to the KS tiltback motion so I know it's there.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Not really  as the battery gets depleted it goes through a series of different modes: at around the 52v mark is the 'limp-home-mode', less responsive to acceleration inputs, reduced top speed, etc.

The weather finally broke today, and I got to run one full charge, down to limp-home two bars (which is basically a single light of four on the MSuper.)

I only got 2-3 miles (from the change to two-bars from four) before the two-bar, flashing ten-bar indication came on. From the 2-bar down, I noticed more frequent beeps, at lowering speeds, to where it would beep at anything over a jogging pace. The last 1/2 mile was babied at a walking pace.

Below is incorrect info - Jason advised me these are not LiPo packs. My apologies to everyone.

• Now, before people start freaking out, understand that Li-Pos need to be broken in several cycles before you get the most out of them. Consider the visual of repeatedly stretching a brand new rubber band. It takes a few stretch cycles to "loosen-up" the rubber band. LiPos need to be "exercised" this same way for peak potential, and longevity. I broke the rule today, but I knew what was going on, and I wanted to see how the firmware handled dwindling battery capacity (voltage.) Also, LiPos recover some voltage as they cool.

I can't give a technical review of the first charge use, because I was "riding blind" with no app/apk. I used the 28, 29, 30, 30 tiltback settings, and just bounced to the beeps every so often, occasionally holding there for short runs (I wanted to work the chemistry in the battery, drawing amps, then backing off to let it cool/recover.)

I can't give a range either, due to absence of an app. I wouldn't anyway, at this stage, since the battery isn't "broken-in" yet. I will get a range/speed estimate after I get 5-10 charge cycles.

As Jason stated, and my observation, the eu will respond to dwindling voltage (state of charge) by first beeping more frequently, and then earlier (lower speed) before the tilt-back begins to kick-in (not at max app speed.) From here on down, the beeping will occur at slower and slower speeds, down to walking pace, and coincide with the state of charge warning (2 to 10 flashing.)

It's about time to recharge, so I'm going to stop writing. All that has been written thus far in the developing thread seems accurate.

PS to Jason - My only way of checking SOC (state of charge) is with the Charge Doctor. Unfortunately, I didn't get to check immediately after coming to a stop at the front door. I think when I did check, it was around 52-53V, which is probably about right for a 50V cut-off. I'll try to get you accurate figures next go around. Thanks for taking the bad weather with you ;)

I took the battery all the way down yesterday, as well as a few times in the past. After the 2 bars left, then the display flashes all the way alternating wi the two bars, then the tilt back comes on very slow speeds like 2 miles an hour. Then its impossible to ride without a tiltback. I rode for a while with the pedals tilted all the way  at like 1 mile and hour ( i was trying to hold on and not slide down). Then the wheel beeps all the time when its on, even if you are not riding it. I have yet to experience the actual shut off:)

on a good note, a 80 year old woman today gave me high five from the window of her car as she was passing my by. Gotta count for something...

Exactly my experience thus far.

Try to avoid taking the battery down that far - it's really hard on the cells. I think in a practical sense (which is the reality I live in, lol) you're ok doing so infrequently. Stuff happens, right :lol:

Whoops! Forgot the Charge Doctor is limited to 3 amps max. It smoked itself, lol.  But it did handle it long enough that if I caught it in time I could have maybe saved it.  Gotta' run. Need to go order another one :D.

PS to Jason - forget about what I said earlier, unless I decide to use a digital multimeter instead, lol

OT, but related...

A new Charge Doctor is going to be released soon, rated up to 10A (Fred mentioned developed for electric bicycles, but obviously fine at lower amperages.) He will offer it for use with new 5A fast charger that Jason is supplying with his Ultra model.

8 hours ago, UKJ said:

I might need to be informed but am almost sure that all stock E U Cs use lithium ion batteries, hard metal case, not lithium ion polymer batteries, thin flexible plastic shell,  different and similar as far as I understand.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/the_li_polymer_battery_substance_or_hype

ukj

You are correct sir. These are not LiPo packs as I incorrectly stated. They are in fact Lithium Ion packs, like you stated. My apologies.

@SlowMo Thanks for the info, interesting a company is providing lipos stock.

I kinda figured someone would use them as custom, and having used them for many years and studied one needs to be informed when using , ie discharge, over charge, care not to damage the packing. You can see on you tube the multiple dangers of fire and explosion if lipos are not handled correctly.

@hooktern, Absolutley no worries, no apology needed but kind!

ukj

1 hour ago, UKJ said:

@SlowMo Thanks for the info, interesting a company is providing lipos stock.

I kinda figured someone would use them as custom, and having used them for many years and studied one needs to be informed when using , ie discharge, over charge, care not to damage the packing. You can see on you tube the multiple dangers of fire and explosion if lipos are not handled correctly.

@hooktern, Absolutley no worries, no apology needed but kind!

ukj

I fly small jets and do fpv using lipos.:)

18 hours ago, h00ktern said:

OT, but related...

A new Charge Doctor is going to be released soon, rated up to 10A (Fred mentioned developed for electric bicycles, but obviously fine at lower amperages.) He will offer it for use with new 5A fast charger that Jason is supplying with his Ultra model.

Any more info available? I just have smoked my CD too...!

Lol. Glad to welcome you to the air-head club :D

No, he didn't give an exact release date, but I recall it being "soon." I ordered the replacement, and he said he would contact me for the new release. Send me a PM (so I don't forget) and I'll let you know when I find out it's released.

@Cloud, @h00ktern Sounding like you both are checking this out well. Thank you.  So my question would be do you feel the low power/High speed cut off problem has been given a definitive solution?   As I had mentioned in a post long ago.  I didn't think we were getting answers.  All the "brands" were stating they had addressed the problem, but I felt like no one was saying how.  

I've only had the KS since Friday, and only got to ride one full charge on Sunday. I blasted around the neighborhood today, for about an hour. I don't have enough time on it to give any firsthand observations.

And after my LiPo misinformation post, I think I'm going to keep quiet for awhile... Lurk mode activated :P

Archived