KS 14C 800W 680WH Mark III Arrived.

fearedbliss

Hello folks,

So after many weeks of waiting (I ordered right before the Mark II was discontinued in order to fix its issues and produce the Mark III, so my order was placed on hold so that I could receive the Mark III), it has finally arrived from @KaleOsaurusRex http://electricunicyclereviews.com/. I only rode it 6 miles and it's _definitely_ different than my Ninebot E+ and P. I can't really review it at the moment but in time I'll write a little bit more about it. For now, I've switched my riding mode to "Play Mode" since it's the most stable for me. I don't really like the Riding and Sturdy Mode but I originally thought I would like Sturdy Mode since I ride my Ninebot on 0 rather than having it on 3 or a higher more "washy" feeling. The KS definitely a washy ride, but it isn't that bad. It almost feels that the washyness feeling actually helps you in terms of stability.. at least on this wheel. However one thing I did worry about originally as that I felt I was going to fall off the wheel since it washes forward and back, and at the same time I was trying to go into a sidewalk and there was a small bump/elevation at the entrance of the sidewalk (As all sidewalks usually do). This might be because the wheel is 14" rather than 16" like the Ninebot. So at the moment I'm slowing down at the end of sidewalks and also at the beginning of going onto a sidewalk. I also noticed the faint noise that the KS produces. It's almost like a dog whistle type of sound but a sound that is faint in the distance and yet humans can still hear it lol, a little bit annoying, but might be good as well since I guess someone could potentially hear it. The trolley handle that came with the KS is also very sturdy and stable. Definitely way more stable than the Ninebot trolley handle since it has a solid "suit case" like handle. So you can get an excellent or near perfect grip.

Also I noticed that my ankles were hurting since they kept touching the sides of the KS, and also my feet were burning. For my Ninebot, I don't get ankle pains since I believe the cushioning in the calve area of the Ninebot actually pushes my ankles away from the wall of wheel, but the structure of the KS seems like it doesn't push my feet/ankles away from the walls of the KS enough for it to not touch. So this is definitely a con so far.. I will need to find another feet position for when I ride the KS.

The battery seems very good. When I took it out of the box, it was basically fully charged. It had all 10 bars and then I believe I might have lost 2 (Since it loses 2 at a time apparently.. it's pretty stupid that it does that.. What's the difference between 10 bars dropping by 2 and 5 bars dropping by 1?). I rode it 3 miles towards my parents house and then I left it charging there, by the time I left (which was like in 2 hours) it was already back to 100%, and once I rode it back home I arrived with all 10 bars still.. so battery is probably between 9/10 bars actually.

On my way to my parents house, I was testing all of the riding mode settings, and at the moment I didn't want to push it above 20 kph, I don't even know what the max speed on this wheel is considering that I might need to do this "unlock" thing, which is honestly another stupid thing. They could handle this sort of safety without forcing the customer to have to contact the seller again in order to get a code that isn't needed. But anyways.. I disabled the first and second alarm, and made the 3rd alarm and rocker to be 20 kph - which simulates my ride experience with Ninebot that also tiltsback and beeps at the same time.

Once I was riding back towards my house, I decided to push it a bit more and I was able to get it to beep (20 kph) without me feeling like I was going to fall off the KS. As I said before, I think I felt like I was going to fall off and that the KS didn't have enough power due to the washy feeling of the pedals, but now that I'm getting used to the motion, I feel like the KS seems to have power and it isn't going to give in and fall forward. It also felt as if 20 kph was really fast but it's actually only 12.4 mph .. so that's not _that fast_. I want to try to see how 15-16 and then 18-20 feel like, but 18-20 (or 19.88 mph) feels like, but 18-20 I would need to wear protection because those are very unsafe speeds. 15-16 is what I feel like I'm riding on (or push up to) when I'm riding my P. So I will need to re-evaluate my riding speeds and see what speeds I'm actually riding on. Probably 12-16 is my normal speed.

I don't know many of the differences between the Mark II and Mark III but one thing I do know is that the USB port was removed so that water doesn't go in.

Pictures at the following album: http://imgur.com/a/vgA3q

- Jonathan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, fearedbliss said:

Hello folks,

So after many weeks of waiting (I ordered right before the Mark II was discontinued in order to fix its issues and produce the Mark III, so my order was placed on hold so that I could receive the Mark III), it has finally arrived from @KaleOsaurusRex http://electricunicyclereviews.com/. I only rode it 6 miles and it's _definitely_ different than my Ninebot E+ and P. I can't really review it at the moment but in time I'll write a little bit more about it. For now, I've switched my riding mode to "Play Mode" since it's the most stable for me. I don't really like the Riding and Sturdy Mode but I originally thought I would like Sturdy Mode since I ride my Ninebot on 0 rather than having it on 3 or a higher more "washy" feeling. The KS definitely a washy ride, but it isn't that bad. It almost feels that the washyness feeling actually helps you in terms of stability.. at least on this wheel. However one thing I did worry about originally as that I felt I was going to fall off the wheel since it washes forward and back, and at the same time I was trying to go into a sidewalk and there was a small bump/elevation at the entrance of the sidewalk (As all sidewalks usually do). This might be because the wheel is 14" rather than 16" like the Ninebot. So at the moment I'm slowing down at the end of sidewalks and also at the beginning of going onto a sidewalk. I also noticed the faint noise that the KS produces. It's almost like a dog whistle type of sound but a sound that is faint in the distance and yet humans can still hear it lol, a little bit annoying, but might be good as well since I guess someone could potentially hear it. The trolley handle that came with the KS is also very sturdy and stable. Definitely way more stable than the Ninebot trolley handle since it has a solid "suit case" like handle. So you can get an excellent or near perfect grip.

Also I noticed that my ankles were hurting since they kept touching the sides of the KS, and also my feet were burning. For my Ninebot, I don't get ankle pains since I believe the cushioning in the calve area of the Ninebot actually pushes my ankles away from the wall of wheel, but the structure of the KS seems like it doesn't push my feet/ankles away from the walls of the KS enough for it to not touch. So this is definitely a con so far.. I will need to find another feet position for when I ride the KS.

The battery seems very good. When I took it out of the box, it was basically fully charged. It had all 10 bars and then I believe I might have lost 2 (Since it loses 2 at a time apparently.. it's pretty stupid that it does that.. What's the difference between 10 bars dropping by 2 and 5 bars dropping by 1?). I rode it 3 miles towards my parents house and then I left it charging there, by the time I left (which was like in 2 hours) it was already back to 100%, and once I rode it back home I arrived with all 10 bars still.. so battery is probably between 9/10 bars actually.

On my way to my parents house, I was testing all of the riding mode settings, and at the moment I didn't want to push it above 20 kph, I don't even know what the max speed on this wheel is considering that I might need to do this "unlock" thing, which is honestly another stupid thing. They could handle this sort of safety without forcing the customer to have to contact the seller again in order to get a code that isn't needed. But anyways.. I disabled the first and second alarm, and made the 3rd alarm and rocker to be 20 kph - which simulates my ride experience with Ninebot that also tiltsback and beeps at the same time.

Once I was riding back towards my house, I decided to push it a bit more and I was able to get it to beep (20 kph) without me feeling like I was going to fall off the KS. As I said before, I think I felt like I was going to fall off and that the KS didn't have enough power due to the washy feeling of the pedals, but now that I'm getting used to the motion, I feel like the KS seems to have power and it isn't going to give in and fall forward. It also felt as if 20 kph was really fast but it's actually only 12.4 mph .. so that's not _that fast_. I want to try to see how 15-16 and then 18-20 feel like, but 18-20 (or 19.88 mph) feels like, but 18-20 I would need to wear protection because those are very unsafe speeds. 15-16 is what I feel like I'm riding on (or push up to) when I'm riding my P. So I will need to re-evaluate my riding speeds and see what speeds I'm actually riding on. Probably 12-16 is my normal speed.

I don't know many of the differences between the Mark II and Mark III but one thing I do know is that the USB port was removed so that water doesn't go in.

Pictures at the following album: http://imgur.com/a/vgA3q

- Jonathan

I believe the washy feeling you had was due to the riding mide you chose. Kingsong can be sturdy like a rock in the right now. 

Yea I tried the sturdy mode and it was more sturdy, still had some wash to it but much, but sturdy mode felt more unstable in that if I hit a bump or something, I feel like the wheel would throw me off.. It could be psychological but it could just be that I'm not used to the KS yet. I will switch the modes and play more as I use it more.

35 minutes ago, fearedbliss said:

Yea I tried the sturdy mode and it was more sturdy, still had some wash to it but much, but sturdy mode felt more unstable in that if I hit a bump or something, I feel like the wheel would throw me off.. It could be psychological but it could just be that I'm not used to the KS yet. I will switch the modes and play more as I use it more.

I see.. I think its because you are not used to it. Yes If you hit a bump in sturdy mode you will feel it more, its not gonna be as smooth. Also check the tire pressure - you can vary your experience by changing it. Ultimately i believe a lot depends on what you get used to and what you rode in the past. I believe your evaluation will change a lot when you ride it more

That's awesome you got a Mark III. I have one on the way and was expecting a Mark II. I saw Jason McNeil's thread on the new KS14 MarkIII Ultra's with better water protection and no USB port and wanted that on my wheel so I'm stoked. Thanks for the update.

Well, @fearedbliss is the owner of the term, but my interpretation is that its like a soft riding mode and so the wheel reaction is kinda delayed, its like you are riding on waves, - so the foot rests will give in when you are applying pressure and slowly return to horizontal when pressure is removed... Its as if you are riding a car and your springs / or struts? are weak and soft, so on every bump you are slowly going down and up, very smooth but not rigid enough, not reacting to changes fast enough... But its possible fearedbliss meant something else...

6 minutes ago, UKJ said:

Thanks, I look forward to read @fearedbliss meaning.

Again total nube here, might it be then that stiff and quicker response is good for freestyle and speed, but slow and soft for bumpy off road and maybe learning?

ukj

You might compare the wavy feeling like riding an original unicycle. Its like Ice skating.

@CloudI'm going to have to give the coining credits to @vido since he told me lol, but he might have gotten the term from somewhere else.

Either way you basically described it well. It's that "wavy" "ship rocking" motion you get when you are moving and the pedals move but not the wheel. Like you said, it takes more time for the wheel to response.

Example, if your wheel is moving forward and you slowly move your feet in the reverse direction, the pedals would move to the reverse, but the wheel would still moving forward, until you actually move your feet more and "commit" to the movement. So you can technically rocky forward and back without affecting the wheel.

I'm starting to get more and more comfortable with the KS and it feels very powerful the more I use it. So I'm sure that it is all psychological. Very smooth and enjoyable ride so far. Besides the ankles touching the side of KS and hurting. I suppose I will build resistance in those areas in time.

6 hours ago, fearedbliss said:

I'm starting to get more and more comfortable with the KS and it feels very powerful the more I use it. So I'm sure that it is all psychological. Very smooth and enjoyable ride so far. Besides the ankles touching the side of KS and hurting. I suppose I will build resistance in those areas in time.

Just wait.. Pretty soon you will be completely comfortable and will not want to touch the ninebot :) once youve experienced the agility, the power and speed, there is really no going back:) 

yes my ankles were hurting and even bleeding the first 2-3 weeks. After that no problem.

@KaleOsaurusRexI kept adjusting my feet until I found a good position and now the pain is basically gone or minimized a lot. I kept riding it more today and I've already gotten comfortable to it and have increased my expectations haha. The wheel has a lot of power, I don't feel like I'm going to fall anymore on it, and also I'm already hitting the 21 kph third alarm that I set.. it doesn't let me increase it. Let me get the unlock code ;D, I sent you the ISN number over email.

Other info. The ride is very smooth, and placing the trolley in the back was a good idea. The trolley has very good grip and I noticed that if I'm standing up, I can actually step a little forward and the trolley handle would go behind my legs.. almost creating a little hook. Which is very nice since I can keep the wheel stable without me taking the trolley handle out. This is good for if you just want to rest or are waiting at a red light.

So far the only downside I see with the design of the wheel itself is that the pedals don't have rubber padding like the Ninebots. This will be kinda dangerous when it rains.

Also.. I don't like that it makes a loud beep when I turn on the wheel. I don't like people knowing that I have my wheel with me when I turn it on, especially if I'm on a subway platform and I want to temporarily turn it on so that I can push it with the trolley. Any way to disable the power on beep, or if this will be supported in a future app update?

Alright, so I road the whole day today (part of it with @Cloud, and part of it with @vido) on the KS and wow, what a beast. It's hands down the best and unicycle I've owned (I think it beats the P in every area that it could beat it except for the P's 16 inch wheel which helps deal with impacts). The battery lasted the whole day and I didn't even need to charge it. It lasted 31.89 miles on one charge but it still had most of the last two bars remaining, so I could probably get 35-37 miles total. @Cloud taught me how to use the bluetooth music (You gotta press the bluetooth button two times - it will say Power On when the speakers are ready to go). You can use the bluetooth music/speakers even if you turn off the wheel. This is really nice since it means you literally have a portable speaker system. Two speakers in the front and two in the back.. surround sound :D.

Since my wheel is still locked, it won't let me go faster than 13 mph at the moment, but it is very fast even at that speed. Once it gets unlocked, I believe it can go up to 19-20 mph. I won't be riding at that speed since it is dangerous, but I believe I will set alarm 3 and tiltback both to be at either 15 or 16 mph, that speed is more than enough for me for 99% of my travels.

I started at 15:00 (3:00 PM) EST @ 11 C temperatures outside on 10 bars/100% charged battery, and returned home with at 00:30 (12:30 AM) @ 5C temperatures outside on 2 bars battery, specifically the middle to upper past of the two bars, so I'm thinking maybe it was at 30% battery remaining?

My weight is 59 kg (130 pounds).

Definitely an awesome experience, and it's nice to know that for the majority of my trips, I won't be needing to worry about the battery. This is now definitely my main wheel. I love the 14" size as well, and the speakers are amazing. Very crisp/clear, and loud!

Ignore the speed numbers in the pictures below since I believe that they are not accurate. Just pay attention to the total mileage :D.

lzHuolc.pngq8Tggfb.pngrn1dm6b.jpg

On Sat Dec 05 2015 06:30:28 GMT+0000, fearedbliss said:

Also.. I don't like that it makes a loud beep when I turn on the wheel. I don't like people knowing that I have my wheel with me when I turn it on, especially if I'm on a subway platform and I want to temporarily turn it on so that I can push it with the trolley. Any way to disable the power on beep, or if this will be supported in a future app update?

You can very easily take off the side panel and unplug the beeper. The tilt back at speed is so reliable that the beeper isn't really necessary.

If you find you don't like it this way it's simple to plug it back in.

7 hours ago, fearedbliss said:

Since my wheel is still locked, it won't let me go faster than 13 mph at the moment, but it is very fast even at that speed. Once it gets unlocked, I believe it can go up to 19-20 mph. I won't be riding at that speed since it is dangerous.

Wait until you have the potential of the Wheel unlocked, that 6-7mph makes an enormous difference! :)

Your report on the Mark III vs. the 9B1 P is insightful, because I think you're the first owner who owns both. Suspected the P wouldn't live up to the hype, simply because of the fact that it has less than half the battery capacity, which also translates into available power. 

I don't know if it's a case for the Wheel you bought, but for our requirements we have the low-voltage (out-of-battery) value set to 48 volts instead of the 54 volts which yields an extra 5-7 miles range.   

Archived