EUC on the highway videos

shellac

If you see videos of the Sherman or the future Monster Pro etc on the highway, like this one https://youtu.be/7WoMbJJVK6w , please take the time to report the video to youtube. There’s an option for “dangerous acts”. 

edit:

To clarify, if you’re part of the pro EUCs on the highway contingent, you do you. Obviously you don’t need to follow this advice. 

Edited by shellac
  • Like 3

Grr! I agree! Why cant people ride the way I do in my town! Nice and safe in the bike lane! I am the arbiter of all things acceptable with EUC and I am here to center my voice and share the norms I’ve established for our culture to the masses!!!! 

But I realized that is simply NOT ENOUGH! We (and by we I mean people that look like me, live like me, reside and ride in areas like me, etc) need to be pro-active and take time away from riding and actually promoting the sport to seek out and report those riders to YouTube! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blicky Te️la said:

Grr! I agree! Why cant people ride the way I do in my town! Nice and safe in the bike lane! I am the arbiter of all things acceptable with EUC and I am here to center my voice and share the norms I’ve established for our culture to the masses!!!! 

But I realized that is simply NOT ENOUGH! We (and by we I mean people that look like me, live like me, reside and ride in areas like me, etc) need to be pro-active and take time away from riding and actually promoting the sport to seek out and report those riders to YouTube! 

it’s so clever of you and a great rhetorical technique to grossly exaggerate what i said. riding on the highway is exactly like not riding in bike lanes. congrats, you win. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, shellac said:

because it’s some stupid shit to do. it’s illegal, looks bad on EUC riders, and is actually dangerous. 

I tried googling and doing some research when the clip came out and also recently.
I have not been able to find anything about it being illegal.

Could you help us out a bit?

I'm sure most motorcycle and car videos could be reported in the same way. And those are definitely vehicles I would love to see banned.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I tried googling and doing some research when the clip came out and also recently.

I'm sure most motorcycle and car videos could be reported in the same way. And those are definitely vehicles I would love to see banned.

Why focus on cars and motorcycles? Just because they kill millions each year?! Baloney! I’d rather put my energy toward outing fellow EUC riders from a specific city w/a unique culture that I know ALL about from that one time I visited Time Square to see the ball drop on New Year’s Eve 15 years ago.

I plan on staring a letter writing campaign to mayor de Blasio and a change.org petition so those thugs can be fined and arrested! Grrrrrr

Edited by Blicky Te⚡️la
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Well cars, motorcycles, and trucks are considered street legal. In NYC, where the video was taken, there’s nothing specific to EUCs. The closest thing is this:

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/electric-scooters-and-bicycles-and-other-unregistered-vehicles

It states that electric bikes and e-scooters are street legal if the speed limit is 30 mph or less. 

In the absence of a specific law, it would probably go to court and the judge would have to decide. I would guess he/she would reference that law I linked above, but to be sure it is a grey area.

I’m sure you can report motorcycle and car videos if they’re doing some crazy stunts for clicks on the highway. 

Comrade, what do you mean illegal.  Fuck legality and fuck cops, are you going to seriously report some young comrades  having a good time to the pigs?

29 minutes ago, shellac said:

because it’s some stupid shit to do. it’s illegal, looks bad on EUC riders, and is actually dangerous. 

look, i mean do what you want but i’m surprised “why” is even a question. by youtube keeping these up it encourages more people to do the same for the social media feedback. 

7 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

Uh, plenty of your Boston brethren come down to ride here and they are far from "nice and safe" riders.  

With that said, I've done the FDR loop in this video myself.  The speed limit is 30 to 45 MPH depending on section (no faster than some local roads out in the suburbs many of you live in), Without knowing the unique layout of Manhattan road infrastructure, the knee-jerk reaction amongst the ignorant is quite laughable.  

Why don't you report the Tide pod challenge videos while you're at it?  

Man I gotta work on my sarcasm delivery ...

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

We are all adults here, we don't need policing via FB complaints. I do not support unsafe riding, but it is not my business how the next person uses their wheel. the people out there pushing wheels have every right to do so as it is their possession and their health/safety.   

The EUC rider isn’t in the vacuum of space, it’s a highway with other cars. This is like the argument of people who refuse to wear masks for covid.

Sure most of the risk is to himself but on can easily imagine causing an accident with other cars. We saw the video where a guy wiped out with a Sherman on the FDR (maybe the same dude). He could have easy flown the wrong way and caused a multi car accident. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, shellac said:

The EUC rider isn’t in the vacuum of space, it’s a highway with other cars. This is like the argument of people who refuse to wear masks for covid.

Sure most of the risk is to himself but on can easily imagine causing an accident with other cars. We saw the video where a guy wiped out with a Sherman on the FDR (maybe the same dude). He could have easy flown the wrong way and caused a multi car accident. 

:facepalm:

38 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Yes I have seen that page and it says "some highways" (30 mph). I am aware they were doing a little over 40.

Besides that there is no place in the NY law for EUCs in general meaning they are not fit for use on the road but as we have seen this is not enforced by the police.
So far they seem to be tolerated and even encouraged.

I just don't understand the why... why is it dangerous? They did everything almost perfectly in that clip except for missing one hand signal and wandering to the left at one point.

I see more and more people making posts (especially on the FB groups) about what is dangerous and what is not. What is reckless and what is not.
Responsible riding, etc. A fad that comes and goes every time something seemingly controversial pops up.

I'm sure none of the riders think it's much fun to ride on those highways and they just did it to safely test some higher speeds.
Personally I feel it sucks to be passed by car after car hitting you with a sonic boom. I've done worse though and gotten sonic boomed in the face by truck after truck on 40 mph roads.

On every single one of my clips where I ride over 12.5mph I am breaking the law. And I have a looooot of clips. Better get to it! :roflmao:

It doesn’t really matter that they did everything correctly, it’s the act of being on the FDR in the first place. By the way there is another video where a seated Sherman rider dangerously wipes out on the FDR. 

I think that taking an EUC into highway traffic is inherently dangerous. If you don’t agree with me that’s fine. Your making some legalistic argument that technically we can’t say it’s illegal or maybe that all eucs are illegal for the road doesn’t change my mind though.

I’ve seen your videos and enjoy them, they influenced me in getting my rs. There’s an obvious difference between what you’re doing and the video I posted, I don’t see them in the same category as all.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

:facepalm:

57 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I caught it. No work needed, subtle but entertaining.

I am very happy to see that this hasnt quite gone how the OP figured it would. Lots of 'mature' aged people here, I would think that the 'cop' mentality would be everone but me. I try to not get caught up in the idea of protecting people from themselves, or acting in a policing manner. There's a limit to how much we can protect the public, but not infringe on the public. Euc's in traffic... I'd say the euc is more at risk. If we start down the path of EVERYONE is worrying about EVERYONE, it leads to the opposite of freedom. I'd be more concerned about cell phone drivers (even hands free), drunk drivers, jay-walkers, and a myriad of other things. To keep it simple, I dont snitch out behavior that is not DIRECTLY and negatively effecting me. Even then, I like to manage things myself. The euc will have laws attributed to it, soon enough. Reporting things, only adds fuel to that fire. Reporting things DOES NOT stop a person from doing what they are going to do. If an euc rider acts wreckless enough, their time will come to an end. It may be their own demise, or it may be that they pay a HUGE price for injuring another. Living in society and being on the roads, you are taking a risk. We have a police force that is paid and trained to help persuade the public. It pains me to see this rampant ideology that its MY responsibility to point out and worry about what the fuck someone else is doing. Even if you do something that seems dangerous and pisses me off, I won't take it upon myself to report it. In this thread, we are talking about reporting a fucking video? Don't be an asshat, do you even live anywhere near? Were you in a car and got scared at the video as they passed by? Are you a cop and this took place in your jurisdiction? Who decides 'dangerous' or not? We dont need more armchair cops in the world. My 2 lane road is 45mph speed limit. I will do that and not blink. I dont need a helmet and I could ride nearly naked. There are NO laws concerning the euc in my area. If i get caught speeding BY A COP, i wll pay the fine that they come up with. Total bullshit if I'd have to worry about some dick in a car, trying to report me as he passes me on a phone, eating a cheeseburger, crossing my lane. Get bent! Snitches get stitches...

I’d hardly call reporting the video to youtube as being a cop. A guy passing you by and recording you while eating a cheeseburger? Sure that’s being a cop. That person would never be me, I’m not a fan of any LE. Also as a former New Yorker (LES represent) I doubt your two lane highway is anything as chaotic as the FDR, so it’s probably fine anyways.

This a question of what we want to see passed around and encouraged on social media. I guess it doesn’t bother you, and you can like and subscribe to the video and we can agree to disagree. 

4 hours ago, shellac said:

It doesn’t really matter that they did everything correctly, it’s the act of being on the FDR in the first place. By the way there is another video where a seated Sherman rider dangerously wipes out on the FDR. 

That one I have not seen. But in this one that I have seen several times I did not see it as a big deal. I do however get gut reactions when people ride on sidewalks.

I think that taking an EUC into highway traffic is inherently dangerous. If you don’t agree with me that’s fine. Your making some legalistic argument that technically we can’t say it’s illegal or maybe that all eucs are illegal for the road doesn’t change my mind though.

I understand that you think that it is inherently dangerous. My question is whether it was illegal or not. And if so in which way would it be punishable? The argument that I am making is that it isn't up to us as individuals to be judge, jury or executioner which is a good thing or I would have killed most of the world by now. And ultimately according to NYC law riding an EUC is illegal in itself. But riding an electric scooter is legal and even legal on some highways. So is this highway in particular one of the ones where an electric scooter would be able to ride or not?

I’ve seen your videos and enjoy them, they influenced me in getting my rs. There’s an obvious difference between what you’re doing and the video I posted, I don’t see them in the same category as all.  

Thanks, I appreciate that and i'm happy that they helped you order and RS. I am sure you will love it. Both the HT and RS will be great.

A lot of people see my clips as much worse. Some saying that I am a role model to children and that now because of me they will ride without helmets and possibly hurt themselves. That I am irresponsible and setting a bad example. It became a dirty never ending argument on FB just as these NYC rider arguments tend to be. Which is why they and I mostly refrain from posting there anymore.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, shellac said:

Every day when I get into my car I meet countless other road users in cars, trucks and motorcycles, all of whom are not able to drive and in my eyes are a danger to others. The day does not have so many hours to report them all to the police. :rolleyes: But don't say "they are not driving illegally" because this is only about the safety of others.

Edited by buell47
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Wheezy said:

Comrade, what do you mean illegal.  Fuck legality and fuck cops, are you going to seriously report some young comrades  having a good time to the pigs?

Hey lil wheezy, I think you misunderstand. Nobody is reporting anything to cops. 

3 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

That one I have not seen. But in this one that I have seen several times I did not see it as a big deal. I do however get gut reactions when people ride on sidewalks.

I understand that you think that it is inherently dangerous. My question is whether it was illegal or not. And if so in which way would it be punishable? The argument that I am making is that it isn't up to us as individuals to be judge, jury or executioner which is a good thing or I would have killed most of the world by now. And ultimately according to NYC law riding an EUC is illegal in itself. But riding an electric scooter is legal and even legal on some highways. So is this highway in particular one of the ones where an electric scooter would be able to ride or not?

Thanks, I appreciate that and i'm happy that they helped you order and RS. I am sure you will love it. Both the HT and RS will be great.

A lot of people see my clips as much worse. Some saying that I am a role model to children and that now because of me they will ride without helmets and possibly hurt themselves. That I am irresponsible and setting a bad example. It became a dirty never ending argument on FB just as these NYC rider arguments tend to be. Which is why they and I mostly refrain from posting there anymore.

This segment of FDR, like most of it, is 40 mph. You can see the sign at 0:25. It would be illegal for an e-scooter or electric bike. Here is the other video I’m talking about: https://youtu.be/6j4Mj99CDGk

As for you riding without a helmet, I hadn’t noticed but wish you would now that you mention it. I don’t think it falls on the level of needing to report it to yt though. I get your point that everyone has their own threshold for bad behavior. Point is well taken. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, buell47 said:

Every day when I get into my car I meet countless other road users in cars, trucks and motorcycles, all of whom are not able to drive and in my eyes are a danger to others. The day does not have so many hours to report them all to the police. :rolleyes: But don't say "they are not driving illegally" because this is only about the safety of others.

I dont know if you're quoting me or quoting me quoting shellac. I have no idea who is driving illegally or not, nor do I care. I also know that its not my place to be concerned about the safety of others that are nowhere near within my control or reach. I also havent the time (nor inclination) to report things. I try not to throw too many stones, as I live in a glass house.

• Like 1