Will Kingsong s18 be worth buying in 2022 or later?

Finn Bjerke

On 10/6/2020 at 6:13 PM, yon said:

I brought a  new ford van through my business five years ago. in the first year there were two re calls on it.  Four years later ie last year I replaced it for another new ford.  The recalls did not bother me. The van is the best I ever had I love it,  I still loved it when it was in being fixed.  Perhaps the van should have not left the factory with these recall issues but hey ho that's life.  Kingsong are not Ford and factory  production faults do happen, The manufacturer has acknowledged it and rectifying the problem.  Jobs a good un as is said in these parts.

I absolutely AGREE!,  i have never seen a new product on the market that has not been superseded with a next version, look at cars, bike etc etc. 

i joined this Forum so that i could learn about riding EUC and sharing my experiences, i get  a bit naffed when keyboard warriors dis each other, lets just respect each others opinion and agree to disagree, learn from each other and respect passions and preferences. 

BTW i absolutely love my KS-18 and enjoy it even when it throws me off and i hurt myself, and yes i did change the damper to a Rockshox Monarch RC-3 now its my own wheel. 

On 12/31/2020 at 9:18 AM, Yellowjacket said:

My god, man, and you bought another one!?

It appears that King Song sent preproduction wheels that were of superior build quality to bloggers, UTubers, other content creators.  Wheels being sent to customers, at least in the U.S., have had major issues, and it does not appear that King Song is responding.

For more information, see  https://forum.electricunicycle.org/

Yes. I really love the KS wheels, even through they have had issues. I admire the technology involved and acknowledge the potential issues.

I also learned very quickly how the game works with these wheels...you have to have a good dealer (much like other tech). The first wheel I purchased (not a KS) I ordered from an ebay dealer in Canada. The wheel never arrived and it took weeks to get resolved. Luckily I was able to get my money back. So I learned to go with a reputable dealer. The 16S was supported and fixed relatively quickly with the local dealer and I used it for over a year without issue, and the 18L was supported by the dealer I purchased from as much as he could. In hindsight, early adopting the 18L had me dealing with a major FW issue...but I was able to use the wheel while a few versions came out to fix it. And the lift sensors really never worked right. But, as long as the main board is working, and I can do the minor repairs and tire changes...I am happy.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

My first batch S18 has been a nightmare:

- Faulty motor bearings out of the box

- Faulty suspension linkage bearings

- Misaligned suspension

- Battery bases had the infamous metal bar in the middle, which prevented the suspension from functioning correctly. Removing the bars did not help much, so I replaced the battery bases with batch 4 parts.

- Warped inner fender, rubs against suspension linkage

- One of the pedals broke after ~2000km (note I do not do extreme jumps)

- Trolley bar broke ~2500km (although it lasted more than on my 18L — I have to replace those every 1500km)

- Pedal axle broke at ~3200km

- Stopped charging 100% since I hit ~3000km (pending check battery packs)

Subsequent batches probably resolved most of these issues, but this has so far been the worst investment I made in an EUC. 

That said, would I buy it again? Definitely yes.  The S18 is a great wheel and I absolutely love riding it. I recommend buying it from a certified reseller so they can help with warranty, parts, etc. l

My only wish is that Kingsong would resolve all the quality problems and maybe release a beefed up version with a bigger battery.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well I bought the wheel in 2022 and have some of these issues. First the linkage arms rubbed against each other, the paint was rubbed away on the first ride I made. The suspension was bad right out of the box, I diassambled the wheel just one day after the unboxing. I loosend and refixed the axle bolts and the friction was gone. After 350km of driving, wheel was unchargeable. At the moment I am waiting for a new motherboard (luckily covered by warranty). I enjoy every km on this wheel, but the quality is still poor. I am not sure yet if I made a mistake buying a Kingsong wheel. I had no issues with my Inmotion wheel V5F/V8F...time will tell...

Edited by Fahrtwind
  • Like 1