Enough with the SPEAKERS!!!

redsnapper

50 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Not sure if putting in ready-made run-of-the-mill speakers that only need connection to a power source needs a lot of engineering resources.

>>> it does in the sense that these can take up alot of real estate within the shells - which can make designing better water proofing more difficult as u hv to build arnd them... I would sacrifice speakers for proper waterproof gaskets & non butt-joining seams so I can have confidence my wheel will survive rain & snow!

And some people seem to like having speakers in their wheel. They can be useful (custom wheel sounds for example).

>>> true

Anyways, as long as the speakers don't hide deeper shortcomings, I don't have anything against them. Complaining about some tiny PEV's speakers while noisy cars and motorbikes are considered normal doesn't get my approval.

>> these r worse offenders but the principle is the same - why shld i impose my taste in music on bystanders when there are ample means for me to listen privately? I am not saying ban all the speakers but it seems that more and more is being put into speakers and I wonder if this is not misplaced given there are significant areas in design that need attention...  But hey others might love speakers - I have not found them useful but that is the beauty of the grand canvas of varied tastes that make up this world!

Edited by amelanso

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Complaining about some tiny PEV's speakers while noisy cars and motorbikes are considered normal doesn't get my approval.

Noisy cars and motorbikes aren't manufactured noisy - the vehicles are bought and then illegally modified seemingly to be noisy. Most loud exhausts on motorbikes are clearly marked as not for road use. Loud exhausts and loud music doesn't just annoy other road users, it infuriates those that live nearby and have to live with these morons driving past constantly. In many countries we're currently as close as we'll ever be at having EUC's made legal yet some people ride around annoying the public with loud music or riding fast through pedestrians - it's as if they want to ruin it for the rest of us who'd like EUC's to become legal.

You can still have music from your phone using personal speakers or headphones that allow other noise to be heard. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I personally won’t buy another wheel unless it has speakers (preferably as loud as the Nikola)

The Nik speakers may be loud as wheels go, but the utterly poor quality din that comes out of them makes my ears bleed. I would rather listen to fingernails on a blackboard :ph34r:

For music in general, I am against LOUD music but I see no issue with a small body mounted speaker like the JBL Flip or the small square one that Mike Sacristan wears. Yes the public will still hear it as you ride past but as long as you are moving and not playing anything obnoxious I don't see a problem. No different to cars going past with their windows down in the summer (not talking about the ones that shake windows) it's just part of life. Far more important things to worry about IMO.

Somewhat surprisingly, theres been more than a few occasions when we have been slowly passing pedestrians and they start jiggling to our music. Even an old granny, I kid you not :) 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Planemo said:

more important things to worry about IMO.

>>> no doubt!

Somewhat surprisingly, theres been more than a few occasions when we have been slowly passing pedestrians and they start jiggling to our music. Even an old granny, I kid you not :) 

>> speakers spread joy? who woulda thunk it???! Pray tell - what was the tune that got the granny groovin?

13 minutes ago, amelanso said:

>> speakers spread joy? who woulda thunk it???! Pray tell - what was the tune that got the granny groovin?

It was such a funny/memorable moment I will never forget - it was DJ Khaled/Rhianna - Wild Thoughts :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Planemo said:

The Nik speakers may be loud as wheels go, but the utterly poor quality din that comes out of them makes my ears bleed. I would rather listen to fingernails on a blackboard :ph34r:

Speak for yourself. The Nikola sounds amazing and everyone I ride with says so as well as pedestrians. The bass is present, the highs are crisp and clear, projecting far like a PA speaker. 

You know the secret? To not play shitty pandora/Spotify streaming music. That’s why  people think it sounds bad, because it doesn’t “color” the music like Bluetooth speakers do. What you hear is an accurate reproduction, and if your sample quality is lacking you’ll hear all sorts of garbage.

Bluetooth speakers like the JBL’s have an EQ curve that improve low quality/bit rate songs by boosting the areas that are predominantly muffled due to the compression. I doubt the Nikola has any sort of EQ, so low quality sounds like garbage. 

I only play HD music and downloaded iTunes songs which are CD or higher quality and the Nik sounds damn impressive. 

6 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

In many countries we're currently as close as we'll ever be at having EUC's made legal yet some people ride around annoying the public with loud music

What...? Why would people equate EUC’s as annoying because someone rides one blasting loud music? Most people think my backpack is the speaker. And even then, loud music is not going to get anything banned. 

17 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Speak for yourself.

I will :)

The Nikola sounds amazing

No it doesnt.

I do have an inkling with regards to bitrate, EQ, sampling rate, compression, limiters, formats etc having spent several of my earlier years in music production. The Nik speaker system is cheap and crap, just like the MSP, or in fact any other wheel out there.

Thats not to say I have a massive issue with wheel speakers, they are what they are (a gimmick) but the thread is about 'loudness' in general, and all I'm saying is that if riders are concerned about it, a decent bluetooth speaker will sound far better at a lower volume than any onboard chinese effort. Even more so if you do it like Mike with it strapped to your chest.

If you think the piddly, poorly amped and processed speakers on a chinese euc sound 'amazing' then I fear we are never going to agree anyway, so we will agree at this point to disagree :)

• Like 1

Why would people equate EUC’s as annoying because someone rides one blasting loud music?

The fact you have to ask suggests you wouldn't understand the answer. 

6 hours ago, EMA said:

speakers are so usefull:

alarms
music
navigation
fun...

there's no  reason why you  should  not have them ;)

I tend to use a small personal speaker that goes around my neck. I find it fairly useful for listening to music without annoying others, I can also use it to answer the phone or listen to directions etc. I can also hear traffic around me. Win, win, win.

31 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I will :)

No it doesnt.

I do have an inkling with regards to bitrate, EQ, sampling rate, compression, limiters, formats etc having spent several of my earlier years in music production. The Nik speaker system is cheap and crap, just like the MSP, or in fact any other wheel out there.

Thats not to say I have a massive issue with wheel speakers, they are what they are (a gimmick) but the thread is about 'loudness' in general, and all I'm saying is that if riders are concerned about it, a decent bluetooth speaker will sound far better at a lower volume than any onboard chinese effort. Even more so if you do it like Mike with it strapped to your chest.

If you think the piddly, poorly amped and processed speakers on a chinese euc sound 'amazing' then I fear we are never going to agree anyway, so we will agree at this point to disagree :)

You’re missing the point.

You can’t demo speaker quality at a 0mph standstill and claim one sounds better than the other. That’s not the context of how we’re going to be listening to it.

In the outdoors, at speed, with all the other audible distractions going on, loudness is KING. You can’t hear the nuances of a dedicated Bluetooth speaker at speed, so to be quite frank, it’s pointless to have them over an integrated wheel speaker that’s louder. It’s all about loudness. That’s why PA speakers are designated for outdoors. Even though your home Hi-Fi sounds better, without the loudness they will sound vastly inferior outside compared to the PA projection. Bluetooth speakers are Hi-Fi, the Nikola projects like a PA. 

I highly suggest you buy an HD song and compare your weak JBL or Bluetooth attachment speakers to a Nikola at 40mph and then tell me which one sounds better.

Edited by Darrell Wesh

• 2 weeks later...

At first I didn't see the point with build in speakers. 

Then I started to like it. But as I started to ride faster I found them less useful to why I like them. 

It have save me numerous of times where cyclists cut blind corners into my dedicated lane or pedestrians walking on cycle lane. 

It helps me to identify risk of passing these too. It can be hard to see earbuds. 

It depends on how the speaker is placed and what direction it is pointed. 

In the end I found that attaching a Bose soundlink micro to my backpack works best for me. And AVAS is in general also better for safety awareness. Most don't bother is you use music. 

I do think it is interesting how biased most responses is here in this thread. So digital yes vs no. 

I can say this though. It is no secret that I absolutely love my V11. This is a proper serious vehicle to me. No disko light, no rainbows, no nonsense. Good light front and rear as traffic law demands. 

But I do understand that other like these things the V11 don't have. But I rather have a great riding design and battery than speaker and rainbow lights. 

I can see the interesting part where you could choose modular to put in a speaker and light unit vs backup battery power pack or charger. 

I do however like to keep things out of the wheel that I don't need to keep weight down for things I rather have. Like battery power, motor power, syron chassis design and strong trolley. 

Anyway interesting topic. :popcorn:

• Like 2

Auditory signal is an important safety feature.  Yet it is also uncontestably true that dedicated speakers take space, and passers-by are under-awed unless you blast Moldovan pop or Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, both of which could backfire if you hit a pothole and no one will rescue you.  That's why I always recommend replacing the stock wheel cover with a stretched boar hide.  Two long, felt-tipped mallets are all it takes to sound your arrival, departure, and directional intentions.  Great as a pandemic distancing reminder, also. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Toad said:

Auditory signal is an important safety feature.  Yet it is also uncontestably true that dedicated speakers take space, and passers-by are under-awed unless you blast Moldovan pop or Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, both of which could backfire if you hit a pothole and no one will rescue you.  That's why I always recommend replacing the stock wheel cover with a stretched boar hide.  Two long, felt-tipped mallets are all it takes to sound your arrival, departure, and directional intentions.  Great as a pandemic distancing reminder, also. 

This could revolutionize the marching band! Now the bass drum carries you!

• Like 2

On 10/4/2020 at 12:43 PM, Darrell Wesh said:

I personally won’t buy another wheel unless it has speakers (preferably as loud as the Nikola)

I like the speakers in my 16x. My wife asks me to play music every time we ride together 

• Like 1

Love my speakers. I must admit, at first I wasn't sure, but several reasons;

1) Audible warnings. Yes...I got my wheel down to 20% yesterday on my last mile. Rather than just losing power...I like hearing the "slow down" warning so I don't push my wheel to faceplant.

2) I like music

3) Without speakers blaring...people will NOT hear you drive up on them. It gets to be a real pain sneaking up on people, seeing them panic, and have to say , "Excuse me" just to pass by them.

4) See #2.

• Like 1

I'm glad we have the speakers, as it is certainly fun listening to tunes on back country roads. HOWEVER, a few days ago in lower Manhattan a guy came along on his Nikola with the highest volume it could play... meaning it was distorted terrible quality trash.  Everyone looked disgusted, as it was entirely inconsiderate.   It's a sad "me" society.

2 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

guy came along on his Nikola with the highest volume it could play... meaning it was distorted terrible quality trash.  Everyone looked disgusted, as it was entirely inconsiderate.

Yea, see my prior post. Get some HD music and not that streaming crap and you can go full blast with minimal to no distortion. Amazon now does hd streaming at cd or above quality which I use. 

• Like 1