MCM5 v2 3-inch tire?

8 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

Too curious to stop now I suppose. Alright I’ll order one and report back if it works out.

And in case it doesn't work out, I'll recycle that new tire for ya, free-of-charge  :)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You mean like this?  MCM5 v1 (left) with Bridgestone HOOP 2.75-10 & MCM5 v2 (right) with CYT H-5167 14 x 3.0 / 76-254   Both require cutting the shell wider and higher, but the

you need to cut the shell to fit the 3inch, attached photos will help some difference from v2 and 2.5 tire: way more comfortable  increase cornering radius, gyro effect and overall sta

I wasn't asked but did this same mod recently on my MCM5 v2. Posted at the bottom of this thread - https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/24468-mcm5-initial-review/?tab=comments#comment-385281

Posted Images

This picture shows the compartment reaching all the way down in the front and the back of the wheel. How would you go about cutting this?

I'm thinking maybe going half way. As in, cutting the wheel at -90 to -45deg, and 45deg to 90. (zero deg being straight up). Then raising the shell about 15mm to clear the 3in tire radially.

It would however mean that the light and charge port internals become exposed. That whole panel ought to be moved. Hmm.

IMG_20210913_131804.jpg

Screenshot_20210913-131618.jpg

45 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

How would you go about cutting this?

if you want to do this mod on a tesla you need to change the pillars and raise the shell, russians have made some custom version for this

I don't see why that's needed. I'd drill some holes in the shell and use 4 out of the 6 available. I might use a metal plate between all the bolt heads and the shell bracket to even out the pressure and grab more of the material.

8 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

I don't see why that's needed. I'd drill some holes in the shell and use 4 out of the 6 available. I might use a metal plate between all the bolt heads and the shell bracket to even out the pressure and grab more of the material.

you can try and see how it goes, don't forget the motor cable on the other side :)

10 hours ago, alcatraz said:

It would however mean that the light and charge port internals become exposed. That whole panel ought to be moved. Hmm.

Doesn't look there's enough vertical room there. The headlight and control board is right on top of the wheel arc. They both get pretty hot so any debris intrusion can be critical. I would be hesitant on doing that but you have a better vantage point.

Can't help much but good luck on it.